Hi,

I have used many forums in the past, which have helped me in many aspects of learning. Anyway, I chose to join guitar forums because I am trying to take guitar playing back up.

I haven't played for about 2-3 years and the last time I have actively been learning guitar has been almost 4 years ago. I have learned all of the basics about guitar and I got pretty good playing. I would say that I got past the beginner level and quite into an intermediate level of skill.

I was able to play a good amount of the acoustic intro to fade to black about 1 minute into the song (not the opening acoustic riff, but the second riff). I found this to be a pretty big accomplishment, considering that I learned how to play this song simply from a YouTube video LOL. Unfortunately I became busier and soon, by not practicing, I lost most of the skills I was developing.

Anyway, I have a good understanding of the chords and I can play most scales moderately fast. It would take me a little while to get back into the hang of playing but it is just like riding a bike for me. I just wanted some suggestions on how I can learn to make my own solos or good jams on acoustic or electric guitar. A past roommate, who was very good at playing guitar (but never taught me anything haha) suggested that I break down some songs. I have a lot of trouble though breaking songs down because I am a very visual learner. Basically, I need to learn how to play so that when I do things, like try to play solos or jams that they wont sound like I am playing a bunch of random notes on a scale.

I love to play southern rock (although I am from NY lol) and songs from other amazing guitar bands. I really love Tantric, however they have an amazing guitarist that composes very complicated songs.

Anyway, any advice or discussion on how I can learn to solo, jam or play some more complicated songs would be amazing! Apologies if this was too long winded!

Here are some song examples of solos or parts of styles I would love to learn in the future:

Alice in chains:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a7sCkGFD6A

Black water rising (awesome solo I would love to learn to play like!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R0IoyMsljE

Tantric:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm3SX1Dq3UE
scales
scales
scales

and oh yes!

more scales.

Boring as hell? yes.
Helps in a couple years? Hell yes.
Quote by diminishedtobme
I think the male ones have dicks, Im not sure though.

Quote by tgregory2010
ah screw you lol

Quote by Intricacy13
scales
scales
scales

and oh yes!

more scales.

Boring as hell? yes.
Helps in a couple years? Hell yes.

Haha thanks for the advice... I tried learning some scales but I could never make them sound terribly good while playing them :s
I always thought Tantric's guitarist was playing insane stuff too. Then I checked the tabs, it's mostly just about pulloff's to open strings. You can pretty much play anything, and turn every fretted note into a pulloff to the open string, and it'll sound far more complicated. Their songs really aren't too bad, just give em a try. Start with Breakdown or Mourning, and go from there. AIC songs never really get complicated until some of the solo's, and the most recent album got a bit tougher to play.
HI there. First of all i would like to congratulate you on being perseverent about guitar playing.

You should first learn the intervals and how they work together

Start with the major and the minor scales.

Continue with the modes

In order to write your songs and solos you should start studying harmony (i repeat, start with the intervals as they are the building blocks)

A good ideea would also be to devote 20-30 minutes a day in which you trin your ear.

Start with intervals and sing them while you play them

You don't have to have a great voice, it is important that you at least hum them.

Then you get to hum the major scale, try different keys.

By using your voice you develop your inner ear which will help you big time along the way.
You cant go wrong with using tabs. I learned on my own thru tabs. Just google the song you want to learn. You eventually will pick it up.
Quote by apajr
HI there. First of all i would like to congratulate you on being perseverent about guitar playing.

You should first learn the intervals and how they work together

Start with the major and the minor scales.

Continue with the modes

In order to write your songs and solos you should start studying harmony (i repeat, start with the intervals as they are the building blocks)

A good ideea would also be to devote 20-30 minutes a day in which you trin your ear.

Start with intervals and sing them while you play them

You don't have to have a great voice, it is important that you at least hum them.

Then you get to hum the major scale, try different keys.

By using your voice you develop your inner ear which will help you big time along the way.

+1

this
Quote by diminishedtobme
I think the male ones have dicks, Im not sure though.

Quote by tgregory2010
ah screw you lol