I'd like to think that for those of us trying to improve our speed, the 3 note (or any odd-number note) per string licks are quite a pain to, if not master, than at least be able to perform well.

My question isn't exactly on how to build up the speed. I understand that speed is acquired via time, patience, and taking it slow, making sure the accuracy is there then speeding up. My question is, say, I have a simple lick. Starts at the 6th string, it's 3 notes per string and goes all the way down to the first string. Say just a simple G Major run where it starts 3 5 7, 3 5 7, 4 5 7, 4 5 7, 5 7 8, 5 7 8 until I hit the first string. Should I be putting emphasis on being able to maintain the up-down-up-down motion by doing the entire lick over and over again or instead should I do the first four notes of the exercise and then repeat to put the emphasis on moving from one string to the next? I guess it boils down to emphasis on being able to make that movement from string to string versus being able to maintain the alternate picking pattern consistantly via continuous movement up and down the neck?

If anyone understands this and has any input, it would be appreciated.
i think the whole purpose of alternate picking is to maintain the up-down motion during the entire lick. try sync up with the stroke/string changes, for example if you start with a downstroke on the low E, when you go to the A string you will be hitting an upstroke, it will help you on more complicated patterns.
Quote by tappooh
i think the whole purpose of alternate picking is to maintain the up-down motion during the entire lick. try sync up with the stroke/string changes, for example if you start with a downstroke on the low E, when you go to the A string you will be hitting an upstroke, it will help you on more complicated patterns.

I understand. It's just that I've been playing for 6-7 years now and even though I spend a lot of time practicing my alternate picking, it just doesn't seem to be where I'd hope it should be. So I'm trying to break down every single aspect of it from how I'm holding my pick, where my right hand is, and now I'm even trying to break down how I actually move across the fretboard. I'm just starting to get a little frustrated (which is damaging for growth) so I'm trying to see if anyone might have any insights that haven't occured to me yet so that I can get my chops to where I'd like them to be.
the harder you think the harder it will be try just getting it comfortable slow and playing it rotating notes around doing slightly different patterns alternating those notes if that makes sense. i try to play things that are harder than the piece within the piece while still maintaining a structure of sorts and it gets to crazy shred sequences shortly after. but that's how i do it. quit thinking hard about it and just let it out. best of luck bro
Judging from your posts...I really think it just seems like you think way way too hard about everything.
All it comes down to is basically this... be relaxed at all times...be patient...work everything up slowly.
If it still frustrates you, you might want to look into some tutoring perhaps?
It's much much easier to get points across if you actually sit down with someone in real life. Maybe you just need a few pointers from someone more experienced than you.

Lastly... somehow I find 3 notes per string licks much much easier than 2 notes per string licks.. don't forget about them either
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
You may want to try focusing on outside and inside picking.

If you start this with a downstroke (which is very likely) and repeat it, this will develop your outside picking. You can do that on any pair of strings, so the B and top E would be a nice contrast.
A-------3---
E-3-5-7--7-5

To work on inside picking try repeating this sequence of notes, starting with a downstroke.
G-4--------
D---7-5-4-5-7

Agin you can apply that to any pair of strings in the major scale. Try experimenting with the other scale patterns up and down the neck.

Tbh though, I do agree with this.
Quote by Shor
Judging from your posts...I really think it just seems like you think way way too hard about everything.
Last edited by mdc at Oct 5, 2011,