I'm trying, in addition to my alternate picking, to get my ear up to where I want it to be. I know a pastime of guitarists/musicians for decades has been transcribing songs simply by listening to them and playing them back. I've even had a small amount of success with this.

So, I was just curious as to what pieces the other members here first learned to play using only their ear. Mine was in the intro riff to We Are Pirates by Orden Ogan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70oWsgDgDqg

(It starts at 00:19)
first rhythm: cosmic dancer by T.Rex
first rhytm & lead (through lots of trial and error): sultans of swing by Dire Straits
eat the rich aersosmith,well main riff,suprised myself and thought i was pretty good at the time,only playing for a couple years
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

Seriously!

For real seriously, though, most of Tears Don't Fall by Bullet For My Valentine.

Dysania:
The state of finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning.

Want that on a shirt? Check out my DistrictLines online store, Asixex

For that exact shirt, click here

ESP/LTD H-51
CRATE G-40-C
DIGITECH DF-7

Probably some Black Sabbath or AC/DC.

I really never used tab extensively because I found that it never sounded the way the song was supposed to. I only use it occasionally to figure out parts that are too quick to hear or if it has a chord voicing that I can't figure out on my own.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
'Of All Circumstances!' from the Azumanga Daioh soundtrack. It's also used as the DVD menu music.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Bombtrack by Rage.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Born to be wild by steppenwolf when I was like 13. That song is still fun to play too though The chord progression is just E - A - D lol
Second Chance by Shinedown. Good chordy intro to work out.
Not exactly a frequent poster.
The main/intro theme to Disney's Winnie the pooh. Lol xD At that time though, i didn't know the entire song was in an open position scale.
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
Quote by fenderstrat235
Born to be wild by steppenwolf when I was like 13. That song is still fun to play too though The chord progression is just E - A - D lol

No big surprise there! Most of the songs back then were 3 chords... "The Rolling Stones, "Get Off My Cloud" comes to mind. But then that goes, E, A ,B. Ah, but wait, it does go to D at 'cause TWO'S a crowd. A 4 Chord song counts because it's still pretty darn basic, right?

I remember The Who's, "Pinball Wizard" as a really fun song to pick out and learn to play.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 6, 2011,
Tornado of Souls by Megadeth, ahaha xD. These days, I've almost completely abandoned tabs, opting to learn songs by ear, but I still use tabs sometimes if something's a little too fast, or if I'm learning something from a band that uses lots of unexpected chords (especially those bands that use high distortion...can't seem to get the exact sound of some chords)
Alice Cooper - Elected

Very simple to learn by ear although some parts are a bit more difficult... very fun to learn by ear
The solo to All Right Now by Free
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
My first attempt was the introduction music for Megaman X3 on the PC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqEtnLykmkc&list=LLTQ-PhqwQqLaUNGdS8bgecA&index=33, but the solo was too hard for me to transcribe at that time (also, didn't have the software to slow down the song too.)

But my first completed one was Tyrian, The Level in the game Tyrian by Alexander Brandon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thtiUXckAVg
Jumping Jack Flash as a single note riff played wrongly of course, back in...a long time ago. We learned all of our songs from listening to records, didn't have much of a choice.

I tried a couple of tabs once about 10 years ago, only took a minute to figure out they were horribly off, Im sure they all can't be bad but it's alot faster for me figuring out a song by ear, it's just the way we learned.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIEEEEES

but yeah gilbert was the first person i bothered really learning by ear. i typically just locate the key to a song and get bored before really roughing out what each individual part is and the specific notes of a solo.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Get Free by The Vines. Pretty simple song, I was just listening to it one day while playing around on my guitar.
Alive - Pearl Jam.... from start to finish

Side note...there was a time...back in prehistory...when tabs were only found in magazines and were always accurate.... but now... gah...
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
My Fist Your Face Her Scars riff by Bullet
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.