Page 1 of 2
What does the Pit think of fraternities?

I've recently started pledging for a fraternity here at my school. I know a lot of the guys who are already in and thought it would be pretty cool. They're always telling me how it bettered them and helped them with this or with that. The problem is they're always real vague on what exactly it is that they got from it (my goal for tomorrow is too find out some more concrete examples).

At first I thought this would be pretty cool, but now that the pledge process has started, I'm starting to have second thoughts. The idea of being the fraternities bitch for 8 weeks does not sound too fun. They were explaining some of the rules and while none of it is incredibly difficult, they're just annoying things.

But my biggest worry is how it will affect my relationship with my current friends who aren't in the fraternity. They keep telling me how these guys are going to be my best friends for the rest of my life, but I already have best friends and I have no intention on replacing them. People who are against fraternities are telling me that just through the nature of the pledge process, I'm going to be forced to hang out with these guys a lot. I don't want it to get past the point hang out with my friends because I have fraternity stuff to do.

Also, I'm a bit of a loner and enjoy spending time by myself. In fact, there are times I'd rather be by myself than be around other people. I'm still pretty sociable (not as much as I'd like to be), but I do enjoy the free time.

Is anybody here belong to, or currently pledging for, a fraternity?

Can you please explain why you decided to join and what you gained from the whole ordeal?

And in case you wanna know, I'm pledging for Sigma Chi.
Quote by Wikipedia
Membership in Sigma Chi involves both service-oriented activities as well as social bonding for its members. Sigma Chi's suggested beneficiaries for chapter community service projects are the Children's Miracle Network and the Huntsman Cancer Institute. Since 1992 Sigma Chi chapters have raised more than $4.2 million dollars for area CMN hospitals and devoted thousands of hours of service to CMN affiliates. The Huntsman Cancer Institute was added as another beneficiary in 2005. In the 2005-06 academic year, Sigma Chi raised $473,757.43 for the Children's Miracle Network, as well as $55,244.63 for the Huntsman Cancer Institute.

They sound pretty cool.
They are places where shit rises to the top. Only to be picked up by the shit nets. You know what a shit net is, Ts? They are office jobs full of shit.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
I really enjoyed my time spent in a fraternity, but you have to have a high tolerance for douches, and it really lost it's fun after the first semester and a half. Great way to start out college, though.
Quote by ripple07
They are places where shit rises to the top. Only to be picked up by the shit nets. You know what a shit net is, Ts? They are office jobs full of shit.

Wait, what?

Quote by blake1221
I really enjoyed my time spent in a fraternity, but you have to have a high tolerance for douches, and it really lost it's fun after the first semester and a half. Great way to start out college, though.

So, how would you describe your experience besides enjoying your time? And this is my 3rd year of college.
Last edited by Shr3dz0r at Oct 5, 2011,
I don't need to buy friends, so I have no need for them.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by Shr3dz0r
Wait, what?

Don't cry to me, boy. When you find out a shit nest is a bad place to be. I warned you.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
I don't need to buy friends, so I have no need for them.

I used to think that too, but I don't know... maybe there's something more to them?

Quote by ripple07

Don't cry to me, boy. When you find out a shit nest is a bad place to be. I warned you.

What is a shit nest? And what does that have to do with an office full of shit? And what does that have to do with fraternities?
Quote by Shr3dz0r

So, how would you describe your experience besides enjoying your time? And this is my 3rd year of college.

What do you mean?
Quote by Shr3dz0r

What is a shit nest? And what does that have to do with an office full of shit? And what does that have to do with fraternities?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg_belm6apc

You are the guy in the thick glasses. The shed is the fraternity.
Quote by Gabel
Quote by blake1221
What do you mean?

As in.... What did you enjoy about it?

Quote by ripple07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg_belm6apc

You are the guy in the thick glasses. The shed is the fraternity.

I still don't get it.....
I feel stupid.
And why did he have to be so mean?!!? What about the kitties?!?
Oh haha.

It was just a blast, I did a little charity, I made good friends, I hung out with my real brother a lot more and got close with all his friends. There were a shit ton of good times with parties or different social events. It was a great way to meet really hot girls. Ummm....yeah. There were so few negatives in retrospect, just some douchebags, but I made the friends I needed to make and got out.
Quote by Shr3dz0r

But my biggest worry is how it will affect my relationship with my current friends who aren't in the fraternity. They keep telling me how these guys are going to be my best friends for the rest of my life, but I already have best friends and I have no intention on replacing them. People who are against fraternities are telling me that just through the nature of the pledge process, I'm going to be forced to hang out with these guys a lot. I don't want it to get past the point hang out with my friends because I have fraternity stuff to do.

I'm not at all against fraternities; they're great for a lot of people and offer social, community service, and academic support to their members and may very well teach you leadership and organizational skills as well. That said, it is going to separate you from your other friends quite a bit. Whether or not it's intentional, the Greek life lifestyle is geared towards alienating its members from outsiders, and you will not be comfortable in a residential fraternity setting if your best buddies on campus are people other than your frat. brothers.

It's all about you weighing exactly what you want. You can still be involved on campus outside of the frat, you can still have other friends, but you won't be allowed to make any of these things more important than your commitment to the fraternity.

If you've already decided to define yourself based on the activities you already love and the people you already associate with, there's no real point in joining a fraternity IMO. They're designed for people that haven't made those decisions and want a clean-cut template to make those decisions for them.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Oct 5, 2011,
GROUP MENTALITY!
GROUP MENTALITY!
GROUP MENTALITY!
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Shr3dz0r

I still don't get it.....
I feel stupid.
And why did he have to be so mean?!!? What about the kitties?!?

He is just doing his job, ok And there is nothing to get. Just giving my opinion on fraternities. I see them as a group of shit people in their fake circle of shit turd friends. On the other hand I can see why it would be fun. A lot of parties and easy access to drugs and moderately attractive women.
Quote by Gabel
Quote by ripple07
A lot of parties and easy access to drugs and moderately attractive women.

That's just higher education in general and residential living in particular though. I think there really is a bit more to fraternity life. I'm not personally a fan, but it offers a nice opportunity for campus involvement, and some genuine bonding with the other members.
Quote by blake1221
Oh haha.

It was just a blast, I did a little charity, I made good friends, I hung out with my real brother a lot more and got close with all his friends. There were a shit ton of good times with parties or different social events. It was a great way to meet really hot girls. Ummm....yeah. There were so few negatives in retrospect, just some douchebags, but I made the friends I needed to make and got out.

So you basically just joined to make friends? I'm already good friends with a lot of the guys in it. Would you say that it's pointless for me to join now?
Quote by dullsilver_mike
That's just higher education in general and residential living in particular though. I think there really is a bit more to fraternity life. I'm not personally a fan, but it offers a nice opportunity for campus involvement, and some genuine bonding with the other members.

A bit contrived, though. It is like kids playing fort, except more pathetic and naive.
Quote by Gabel
Quote by ripple07
A bit contrived, though. It is like kids playing fort, except more pathetic and naive.

I wish I could play fort still.

O wai- I can. **** this shit I'm bringing a ****ing blanket to school tomorrow and setting up a fort in Maths.
fraternities are gay. All hail the wolfpack!
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by Shr3dz0r
So you basically just joined to make friends? I'm already good friends with a lot of the guys in it. Would you say that it's pointless for me to join now?

No, I joined because it gave me something to do. It was a way to get involved and opened a lot of doors. I joined intramural sports with my friends and had study partners that really knew their shit.

I don't recommend joining now, but it's a great way to kick start your college career.
Quote by devourke
I wish I could play fort still.

O wai- I can. **** this shit I'm bringing a ****ing blanket to school tomorrow and setting up a fort in Maths.

Good point. Fort is fun. I suppose my opinion on fraternities is shaped by the people I met who went to them. Possibly my view is not an accurate representation of the big picture, Ts.
Quote by Gabel
Quote by ripple07

I dunno, kids playing fort don't really affect the policies of the house outside of their boxes and blankets. Fraternity members (again I wasn't one and am not a huge fan) really are big movers and shakers in creating and steering residential and other university policies. These people become campus leaders and lobby for what they want because their organizations are designed to give them a very visible platform to speak from and a network to garner support from.

Do I think I was too cool for a frat? Yes. Do I think the frats are pointless beyond having fun and being exclusive? No.

And everything non-spontaneous is contrived. Who cares?
Fraters gonna frat
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Well, TS, what can I say.
The pluses in being in fraternity is that:
1) Plus the fact that you almost immediately get a ready-made company, hired friends, that you can enjoy how many as you like.
2) Support of the brotherhood after finishing the colledge.
3) Travelin' possibility. Many brothers after finishing the colledge travelin' thru state to state. Each, if not any, big city had his own fraternity base, where you can stay and get a snack and a roof under you head.
4) Help in getting apply to the job.
5) same as a -3- - moral and financial support of the brotherhood to the rest of your days
6) Parties, girls, drink, footballб bullying older brothers and other stuff.

Weightful minuses:
1) In that case that you're don't like to share your brother's company interests, you'll be a slightly depressed - watching football and drinking beer with weirdos sometimes can tire you too. If you didn't like, what they do, and what they have interest for, it will be hard for you, 'cause you'll haven't ways to escape no more. Just sit on the couch and watch this f-ing football. That what they do every evening at the friday.
2) The complexity of income. From the 50 brothers, expressed a desire to join, usually stays only 6-7. Why? The ordeal caused by the older brothers, clearly expressing the way their sadistic tendencies, helps to leave a lot of people.
3) After entrance exams abuse usually does not tend to end.
4) You'll need to help your older brothers, and the fraternity at all.

Weight all pluses and minuses and judge on your own.
If you can easily make a moral and \ or physical humiliation, five times a night can come to the call of his older brother, and you do not bother standing naked in his shorts when it's a cold, I think, the fraternity created specifically for you.
Quote by PavelD

Weight all pluses and minuses and judge on your own.
If you can easily make a moral and \ or physical humiliation, five times a night can come to the call of his older brother, and you do not bother standing naked in his shorts when it's a cold, I think, the fraternity created specifically for you.

I hate watching football. Lol

I'm still pretty torn between the two. One hand, I'm like yeah it could be lots of fun, but then like meh.

Quote by blake1221
No, I joined because it gave me something to do. It was a way to get involved and opened a lot of doors. I joined intramural sports with my friends and had study partners that really knew their shit.

I don't recommend joining now, but it's a great way to kick start your college career.

Actually my freshmen year, I did join a fraternity. It wasn't a social one though, but it pretty much worked like one. I was in ROTC (the fraternity was a national veterans fraternity) and they asked if I wanted to join. I didn't know anyone at the time and thought, what the heck why not? It will give me something to do. The first semester was kind of fun, but when it was my turn to dish out some abuse and didn't like it at all, and mostly just steered clear of all that stuff. I got turned off by that I guess. Plus, the fact that they tried to push the whole brotherhood thing too much without actually letting it develop. I don't hang out with those guys anymore.
No thanks. I'd rather not pay thousands of dollars to become "friends" with a bunch of stupid dillholes.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Frats are a good way to get involved in leadership activities to make a stunning Resume, network, and fuk hot girls.

It's not for everyone, and there are certainly other ways to do such things, but Frats make it easy.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
You can do what everyone does, get hazed, pay friends, become accepted, and get to be a prick like them someday. Or you can learn to be open and socialize, make friends, and go to parties because you know people there, not cause you paid.

Then again, after college it helps a lot.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by CrunchyRoll
Frats are a good way to get involved in leadership activities to make a stunning Resume, network, and fuk hot girls.

It's not for everyone, and there are certainly other ways to do such things, but Frats make it easy.

Were you, or are you, in one right now? What exactly could it do for my resume?
Quote by Zombee

Then again, after college it helps a lot.

How so?
I always thought being in a fraternity involved heavy drinking, banging women and acting like a complete douche to people. I never realized that there's actual involvement in the community and whatnot.
I don't usually tend to get along with the dudes in them, honestly.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Shr3dz0r

Also, I'm a bit of a loner and enjoy spending time by myself. In fact, there are times I'd rather be by myself than be around other people. I'm still pretty sociable (not as much as I'd like to be), but I do enjoy the free time.

If your joining a social frat (I am not sure if this particular one is) you are probably not going to like if it your a loner. At least this is what I have heard from a few frat people I know.

Its personally not for me, but frats have their positives and negatives.
Last edited by FireHawk at Oct 5, 2011,
Quote by Shr3dz0r

Go ahead. Pay for the official declaration of friendship in a closed setting. You'll realize that you can't pay for friends sooner or later. It'll just cost you $300 a quarter for the rest of your stay in college. And no amount of money after college will give you friends you never had to pay for.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Oct 5, 2011,
Completely retarded.

Yours sincerely, the UK.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by isabiggles
Completely retarded.

Yours sincerely, the UK.

I didnt have a clue what this thread was about. im assuming its some gay american thing
Quote by Shr3dz0r
They're always telling me how it bettered them and helped them with this or with that. The problem is they're always real vague on what exactly it is that they got from it

There's a reason for that.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Page 1 of 2