For example..

basic chords -> barre -> alternate picking -> power chords -> stretching -> basic major scale -> etc..

I'm a beginner and I have an interest in metal. I just want to have a good idea on the order of techniques learnt by people since I know they vary, and sometimes I get confused on what I'm supposed to learn first.
Try to learn basic/power chords at the same time. Throw in bar chords if you can too. When you've gotten the basic ones (NOTE! You can Never learn too many chords, it's something you'll keep on learning as you go), you learn the major scale, after the major scale. The progress of alternate/economy/finger picking should be learnt and practiced at all times.

When you've grown more used to different techniques and theory, you should work all this into your warming up.

Note. You should also think, How seriously am I going with this? Im starting to go after this as a guide on what I should learn ( http://www.vai.com/part-one/ ), but you might not want to learn that much. Remember, you started playing this, because it seemed Fun, and Interesting. Not because it's a chore that you have to think of. As soon as you think of it as a chore, DO SOMETHING ELSE.
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
1. Learning tab
2. basic chords
3. power chords
4. barre chords
5. playing songs with easy downpickable lead guitar stuff
6. fingerpicking
7. alternate picking
8. sliding
9. reading music (sheet music. Only reason for this is because I started playing piano as well)
10. started getting more into theory and scales and how music works
11. Vibrato/bending
12. Expanding my chord vocabulary (With stuff I found in tabs/just messing around)
13. Working on writing my own songs

To this day I've been playing for about 1 year and a 1/2. I mostly taught myself with stuff I could find on the internet and playing songs that I liked. I could tell by looking at a tab if I would be able to play a song all the way through. I think the first song I played after like a week was "I can tell we're gonna be friends" by white stripes. I would avoid any song with even an easy solo like the plague and just play the easy melodies/powerchords/rhythm or whatever. Then I started gradually playing more and more solos.

Hope that helps a little.

Edit: In regards to the poster before me, you can learn pretty much whatever you want to. It just depends on how much effort you put into it and how much you enjoy playing. For me, I can definitely say that playing guitar has never seemed like a chore for me, and it never gets boring. I love learning new stuff.

Also, I never really "learned" the notes on the fretboard but I know them now just from playing so many different types of chords (power chords/octaves mainly). You eventually just know where everything is and what sounds good and what doesn't (Read: Using your ears).
Last edited by Permaphrost at Oct 5, 2011,
after learning how to pick ; in order ;

1. pentatonic scales
2. penta chords
3. major/minor scales
4. chords
5. combining them
6. strumming patterns
7. major/minor blues scales
8. blues chords
8. played the blues for a while
9. soloing
10. studying satriani's compositions for 6 years
11. jazz and other musical theories, building chords, understanding them
12. some classical music in between
12. totally understanding satriani
13. tommy emmanuel time
14. fingerpicking for 2 years
15. putting it all together
-----------------------------------------------
16. writing music

i'm still learning new things everyday, listening to great players. inspiration is what really matters.
Thanks! Recently I've been interested in understanding theory, I've started with memorizing 5 major scales, half a pentatonic scale, and a random egyptian scale ).. But, it's like robotic movement! I don't know what notes I'm hitting at all. :|
Quote by luxeion
Thanks! Recently I've been interested in understanding theory, I've started with memorizing 5 major scales, half a pentatonic scale, and a random egyptian scale ).. But, it's like robotic movement! I don't know what notes I'm hitting at all. :|

Yeah i was like that, and i was also trying to memorize stuff. My brain was like a block of wood, i didn't get anything at the time. Now i don't know how i know all these things, they're just there lol. Keep practicing and learning even if you feel like you're not gettin any of it, you'll find them there eventually
basic chords
simple riffs
learning tab
barre chords
power chords
scales
bends & hammer ons/pull offs
vibrato
finger picking
i think you should start with learning sheet music, how to play, write... (i learned 1 year and now its hard so i think it should be basic)
then you move to chords, easy riffs, barre...
that is not so important. what is important is to keep practicing on everything:
if you shred=play some chords
if you tap=play some chords
if you sweep=play some chords
"I've said that playing the blues is like having to be black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed on both counts, but I never noticed. "
B. B. King

Quote by slash_GNR666
I prefer to play with your mother

But I suppose guitar will have to do
Learned how to read tab first, then basic riffs, alternate picking, the major scale, basic chords, the minor scale, barre chords, finger picking, the dorian, mixolydian, and blues scales, and I'm currently working on sweeps. But if I could back, I would want to learn chords first because they are definitely one of the most important things you learn seeing as how it's the basis of guitar playing.
▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■
Well i could already read music before i picked up guitar but
1. Basic chords
2. Barre chords and basic songs
3. Fingerpicking
4. Alternate picking
5. Intermediate songs
6. Pentatonic scale
7. Major scAle
8. Other scales like dorian
9. Sweep picking
10. Tapping

I took a guitar class at school so keep in mind some of this stuff i taught myself and that the time between all this is like 2 years
1. Basic downpicking
2. Open chords
3. Bar chords
4. Power chords
5. Palm muting
6. Hammer ons/pull offs
7. Bending
8. Reading tabs
9. Alternate/economy picking
10. Scales

I'm 100% self taught and yes, I started alternate picking too late. I used strict downpicking for like 1.5 years. I'm a rhythm player and never properly praticed legato, sweep picking and tapping, but I can use them if the licks are not too fast.
Hmm, let's see...

-Note names (My primary language is Spanish so I had to learn that C = Do, etc.)
-Tab
-Sheet Music
-Open Chords
-Power Chords
-Fingerpicking
-Major Scale
-Sliding
-Hammer on/pull off
-Vibrato
-Barre Chords
-Pentatonic Scale
-Picking (Like, with an actual pick)
-Strumming Patterns

I'm still working on the last few, really.
For me I could read some sheet music cause I learned piano when I was real young
1.Open/Basic chords
2.Barre Chords/More advanced chords
3.Power Chords
4.Palm Muting
5.Tab reading
6.Basic picking
7.Hammer ons/Pull offs/Slides
8.Alternate picking
9.Tremolo picking
10.Scales
dont really play metal so dont do a lot of tappings and sweeping and i like to play rythm more xD
simple melodies,basic chords,alt picking,barre chords,great to get into alt picking and barre chords as soon as u can,its not that hard to do the basics.
1. Open chords
2. Barre chords
3. Movable shaped chords

1. Rock music
2 Jazz lessons
3 Learning different genres and styles of music. Studying the techiques and styles of other musicians. Wes to Les, Gershwin to Jobim, James Burton to Frank Zappa.

Playing for over 40 years and still learning, but thats what makes music great.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.