A '6' immediately after the roman numeral would indicate a first inversion for the respective chord in the key right ? So if we were in C major a 'V6' would function as a G major triad in first inversion, or G/B ?

And also, the '6' indicates that's the lowest note in the inversion is a sixth below the usual root of the chord ? Just want to make sure I have this down
The time to hesitate is through..

Gear:
Fender 60's Road Worn Strat
Epiphone Les Paul '56 Gold Top
Orange Tiny Terror Combo

Quote by Draken
and the stig. American Stig would be a fat guy with a nascar hat.
G major in first inversion is G/B. This is written as V6 in C major.

It doesn't mean the root is a 6th below, the 6 is an abbreviation for 63. If it were in second inversion you would write 64. The numbers represent the intervals above the root. So if the root is the 3rd in the chord, then you have a 3rd (5) above it and a 6th (1) above it.
The 6 is figured bass, it's shorthand for 6/3, which means to play the 6th and 3rd intervals above a bass note in accordance to the key signature. V(4/2) would mean a 3rd inversion 7th chord.

Figured bass isn't really used for analysis, you're better off sticking to ERN (Extended Roman Numerals).
Quote by Jesse Clarkson
G major in first inversion is G/B. This is written as V6 in C major.

It doesn't mean the root is a 6th below, the 6 is an abbreviation for 63. If it were in second inversion you would write 64. The numbers represent the intervals above the root. So if the root is the 3rd in the chord, then you have a 3rd (5) above it and a 6th (1) above it.

I stand corrected. So you wouldn't usually see it as V6, rather V63 or V64?

EDIT: After Griff's post.

So there are brackets involved, that makes more sense.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
I stand corrected. So you wouldn't usually see it as V6, rather V63 or V64?

EDIT: After Griff's post.

So there are brackets involved, that makes more sense.

There are brackets when your typing on a forum. In actual practice you write the numbers below a bassnote on manuscript paper.
Ah I see where I was going wrong, thanks for the help all of you !
The time to hesitate is through..

Gear:
Fender 60's Road Worn Strat
Epiphone Les Paul '56 Gold Top
Orange Tiny Terror Combo

Quote by Draken
and the stig. American Stig would be a fat guy with a nascar hat.
root position - 5/3 - abbreviated to no figuring, except in a cadential 6/4, where you show the resolution and write 5/3.

First inversion - 6/3 - Abbreviated to 6.

Second inversion - 6/4 - Not abbreviated.

Root position 7th - 7/5/3 - abbreviated to 7.

First inversion 7th - 6/5/3 - abbreviated to 6/5.

Second inversion 7th - 6/4/3 - abbreviated to 4/3.

Third Inversion 7th - 6/4/2 - abbreviated to 4/2

You get the picture