Page 1 of 2
.....but if I sell one I get rid of part of that rig/sound that I like.

I have 2 rectos, one an original 2 channel the other one a first gen 3 channel (no multi watt feature one). Now I really like them both but having two heads is just too much hassle to have and to own plus I really don't have the space for them where I live realistically.

So really what I'm asking for is suggestions as to an amp that will cover the bases that these two amps do but in one package.

The sounds that I like are the really really thick and heavy gain you get, but I am looking for good cleans as well now after having played more amps it's fair to say Rectos don't have that great a clean sound lol. Good crunch would be nice too but this is not as much of a priority.

Head or combo I'm not too bothered, although if combo I could also sell my 1936v Marshall 2x12. Max budget would be the combined money I get from selling the amps so I would say at least £2000 maximum probably £2500 and as I said I can sell the cab if I get a combo.

So what do you guys think??

Cheers
Ed
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
So really what I'm asking for is suggestions as to an amp that will cover the bases that these two amps do but in one package.

The sounds that I like are the really really thick and heavy gain you get, but I am looking for good cleans as well now after having played more amps it's fair to say Rectos don't have that great a clean sound lol. Good crunch would be nice too but this is not as much of a priority.

So what don't you like about the rectos? Just the clean tone? Or is there other things too?

In other words are you looking for an amp with recto style tones? Or something a bit different?

A list of bands you like or tones you want to try to achieve would help a bit. But it seems like you want the retos tonewise but in a smaller package and perhaps better cleans and thats probably going to be a difficult search
RIP Gooze

cats
Essentially the clean and low gain are lacking yes

I still would like something that is recto reminiscent for sure, but not a copy or wannabe

Dream Theater, Opeth, Trivium, Paul Gilbert, Periphery, Tesseract, that's a fairly decent overview. I love Joe Bonnamassa too but I realise trying to get that tone is basically impossible so might as well leave it out
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Wide range of tones there buddy...hmmm...

Well, I'd get rid of the 3 channel Recto and the 2x12 like you said. Or even sell both, the cab, then buy a Mesa Mark V. More versatility, still great Mesa tones.

Maybe?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Mark V whilst it is a great amp really isn't my cup of tea, I like it but channel 3 I just can't click with. I've played one many times and sometimes Ive loved it and on other times I've hated it :/
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Just buy the Axe you *****

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Engl special edition?
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Axe would be cool but I can't try out one :/

ENGL SE I'll have a look at for sure, haven't played one for a few years

Road King would be great but out of budget :/
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Sell both and get a Diezel VH4 or a Diezel Hagen.
You won't regret it.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by shredftw

Grab an Axe, flip it for 20% more than what you paid for in case you didnt like it. Or go to the DSP thread and ask the Axe guys there for advice.
11 Rack?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fractal-Audio-AxeFx-Axe-Fx-Ultra-Preamp-V11-0-Minty-Condition-/150670971811?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2314b093a3

And +1 to the Diezel suggestion.

Thing is, nothing is gonna sound like a recto except another recti
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Oct 5, 2011,
Quote by shredftw

If you sell up you'll be able to afford a road king used.
i've seen v1s for 1500
v2s a bit more.
Quote by LP_CL
Sell both and get a Diezel VH4 or a Diezel Hagen.
You won't regret it.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, just asking a question to benefit us both
What would the advantages of either of those models be, I have no experience with Diezel whatsoever and have been considering them. I play Thrash/Melodeath.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Quote by Tom 1.0

sounds about right

or else good luck getting Opeth and PG out of the same amp
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Axe FX (as stated)
Diezel (as stated)
Maybe... a Carvin V3 (dunno if it is heavy enough)

Also, isn't there a lower wattage Recto? That way you could have that and a second amp, just two different ones :p
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Quote by Tom 1.0

Best advice. If he doesnt like it, sell it off at a profit, use extra cash to buy a Diezel.
/thread

Quote by barnesybaby
Axe FX (as stated)
Diezel (as stated)
Maybe... a Carvin V3 (dunno if it is heavy enough)

Also, isn't there a lower wattage Recto? That way you could have that and a second amp, just two different ones :p

He already has 2 rectos, and youre suggesting he buy a third?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Oct 5, 2011,
Good cleans, low and high gain?

Laney VH100R
Brunetti Evo
ENGL Savage or SE
Budda Superdrive
Marshall JVM, Vintage Modern, Silver Jubilee
EVH 5150 III
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by GS LEAD 5
He already has 2 rectos, and youre suggesting he buy a third?

standard

It is true that I could resell the AxeFx if I didn't like it, they hold their value pretty well. But I don't think I would by a new one, probably a used Ultra and some sort of pre amp to go with it.

It is the best way to do everything I need to, and plus the advantages it has in terms of recording and portability are fairly endless.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
In a word yes I was, but not like I was suggesting he just buy the same one again. I thought if he still wanted a Recto in his rig but not his current one then he could buy an alternative version of what he likes. It seems his rig is only 'half broken' so why not 'half fix it' :p

...I was trying to help
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Quote by EspTro
sounds about right

or else good luck getting Opeth and PG out of the same amp

Didn't they both use the same exact amp at one point? (Laney gh)
Hagen or try and convince dave at Baron Custom Amps to make a UK version of the B120. Nice modern/middle/clean tones. Id say the K88/2 but the middle tones lack a bit.
I'm looking extensively into the AxeFx atm just because I dint know enough about them yet, I only need a power amp for live use correct?? And I can run it directly into any interface to then record into Logic 9?? And the software for working out tone on a computer is Mac friendly yeah??

I'm still interested in a used Roadking, maybe a VH4. what about a Herbert??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Quote by shredftw
I'm looking extensively into the AxeFx atm just because I dint know enough about them yet, I only need a power amp for live use correct?? And I can run it directly into any interface to then record into Logic 9?? And the software for working out tone on a computer is Mac friendly yeah??

I'm still interested in a used Roadking, maybe a VH4. what about a Herbert??

To record, Axe>Interface>DAW
Ro play
Axe>Poweramp>Guitar cab
OR
FRFR cab
OR
Axe>Monitors
OR
Axe>combo FRFR amp ie Atomic powered wedge or keyboard amp

Or any combination of above, ie, use 1/4 \th inch outs to your poweramp+cab/monitors and XLR outs to PA.
Sweet, sounds very good I must admit.

Possibly now thinking of just selling one of the heads and then getting an AxeFx
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Another vote for Engl. All of them are great, but for the very most tone coverage (read: best clean/low-mid gain without sacrificing high gain) I would go for an SE or Blackmore sig
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by patriotplayer90
Didn't they both use the same exact amp at one point? (Laney gh)

Same amp ≠ Same Tone
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by shredftw
Sweet, sounds very good I must admit.

Possibly now thinking of just selling one of the heads and then getting an AxeFx

Dont run an Axe into a recto poweramp. It will make every model sound like a Recto thats what Pat fom the DSP thread said when he ran his axe into his single rec' loop. And Ignite said his Mark IV makes all the models his pod HD sound similar to, you guessed it, a mark IV. Mesa's poweramps arent exactly FRFR.
My first recommendation is a Peavey JSX.

Also check out the Laney VH100R, but it's not as versatile as the JSX.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^I doubt a JSX will sound similar to a Recto. The OP states he wants something that can reach the tones of his two Rectos and have good cleans as well. Unless Bugera has released the Tri Rec, only the Roadster and Roadking match that spec. Unless he goes modelling.
Engl
Vht
Framus
Brunetti
Bogner
Diezel
Soldano
Hughes & kettner
Koch
Orange
Rivera
Baron amps
Rhodes
Egnater
Splawn
Laboga
Mako
Titan
Diamond
Wizard
Cameron
Fortin
Peters
Dar
masotti
Custom Audio Electronics
Rodenberg
Voodoo
DV mark
THC
Quote by GS LEAD 5
^Read OP. He wants recto tone. He wants both 2 ch and 3 ch in one package.

im sure one of the companies i mentioned makes an amp that he would like
What I like about the Axe FX:
A million possibilities in just 1 box, and it's pretty damn close to the real deal.

What I absolutely HATE about it, and that's the reason I don't have one:
There is so much tweaking to do that it annoys me to death. I want to be able to just turn a few knobs and have a great tone EVERY time in like 1 minute of tweaking max. An Axe FX can take hours to get perfectly tweaked.
All i want is to plug in, turn some knobs, and be ready to rock, without having to read a dictionary about how to adjust all million settings.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by breakstuff
Don't mean to hijack the thread, just asking a question to benefit us both
What would the advantages of either of those models be, I have no experience with Diezel whatsoever and have been considering them. I play Thrash/Melodeath.

They are both fully MIDI controllable, and each channel has it's own FX loop, and there is a general FX loop on top of that. Possibilities are just endless with a few pedals or decent FX processor. The difference between the 2 amps is mostly the voicing. The Hagen is a little bit more modern sounding, the VH4 still is the tightest amp I've ever heard.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by GS LEAD 5
^I doubt a JSX will sound similar to a Recto. The OP states he wants something that can reach the tones of his two Rectos and have good cleans as well. Unless Bugera has released the Tri Rec, only the Roadster and Roadking match that spec. Unless he goes modelling.

I know, but the JSX has at least slightly similar tonal characteristics.

The thing is, is that NO amp will sound like a Recto, except for a Recto. The only possible way to get Recto tone, as well as good cleans and crunch is to get a Road King II. TS said that was out of budget, so something has to give somewhere. And personally, if I was looking for recto-ish tone, I'd take a JSX over a lot of the other amps being recommended.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Blackstar S1-200

Clicky clicky