The strap buttons on my Hagstrom Swede are tiny and Les Paul shaped guitars are notorious for their tendency to snap at the neck if you so much as look at them the wrong way.

When I play standing up I can tell that it will only take one slip up and my baby is as good as dead, so I've decided to a. Invest in some strap locks, or b. Make my own on the cheap.

So far the few cheap options I've googled haven't been ideal for me. Ideally I'd like to be able to take the strap off without unscrewing my strap buttons, so that I can fit it back into my hardcase.

So, I have a few questions for you.

Do strap locks allow you to easily remove the strap after playing?
Are there any strap locks available that require no modifications to the guitar (I mean even less than unscrewing the strap buttons)?
Are there and DIY options that allow you to remove the strap without unscrewing the strap buttons?

P.S. Tape is not an option I would consider.
I use Schaller strap locks. Just need to unscrew the stock buttons, install the new locking button and then attach the lock on your strap. Takes less than 5mins. I use them on all 4 of my guitars. And yes, it is easy to remove the strap when you're putting your guitar back into a case. Never really looked into DIY solutions since the Schallers are under $20 for a set.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Most of the straplocks I've seen have some kind of push release system - they don't involve bolting a strap permanently to your guitar. Also, if you're looking for the least modification possible, I believe Planet Waves makes a strap that locks on to your existing strap buttons. I forget what it's called though

Hope that helped.

Edit: This.
Last edited by AxolotlShredder at Oct 5, 2011,
I have schaller strap locks on 8 guitars.
I don't use them the way they are intended however, as I've never been able to attach a strap to the locks. I just put the strap on and then put the locks over them. In the end, the result is the same: too much stuff for the hole, and the strap can't come off =)
What about just getting a strap like this:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/planet_waves_pwspl200_gitarregurt.htm
It has the strap locks built in, so nothing would need doing to your guitar at all.

If you already have a strap you like, try this:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/dunlop_straplok_ergo_lok.htm
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Buy a set of Schaller strap locks in your choice of finish. They're strong, haven't failed on me (and I haven't heard of anyone having them fail on them), pop on and off fast but still lock strong. The only problem you might have is the original strap buttons might be bigger than the ones you get in te kit. But you just fill the hole with glue and some toothpicks, and screw the new screw into that, and you're good to go.

The only DIY way I've seen and would trust, is taking off the strap button and just using the screw. Get two washers and put one on either side of your strap hole, put the screw through the washers/strap, and have it permanetely screwed on.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Thanks guys. This http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2009/Aug/Lock_Stock_and_Roll_Strap_Lock_Roundup.aspx has a few solutions on it, too.

Quote by Koshman32
The only problem you might have is the original strap buttons might be bigger than the ones you get in te kit. But you just fill the hole with glue and some toothpicks, and screw the new screw into that, and you're good to go.

So, you're trying to say that the screw that comes with the strap locks might be too small to fill the hole made by the existing one?

Quote by Darkflame
I have schaller strap locks on 8 guitars.
I don't use them the way they are intended however, as I've never been able to attach a strap to the locks. I just put the strap on and then put the locks over them. In the end, the result is the same: too much stuff for the hole, and the strap can't come off =)

I don't think I understand you. Isn't that how they work.

Quote by Darkflame

I just put the strap on and then put the locks over them. In the end, the result is the same: too much stuff for the hole, and the strap can't come off =)

I don't get this bit at all. Maybe I should go to bed
I use schaller strap locks on all my guitars...they are not hard to put on...you do know how to use a phillips screwdriver don't you?

Or duct tape/gaffa/race/fabric tape on the strap hole area to thicken and strengthen the fabric...it will require a bit of effort to get it on the first time and if you do it right you wont get any sticky residue on your guitar
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
Quote by Butt Rayge

So, you're trying to say that the screw that comes with the strap locks might be too small to fill the hole made by the existing one?

\

Depends on the guitar. Never had any problem with my Strat and 2 of my Ibanez axes (rga121 & s470), but the s540 needed to have the hole toothpicked and glued.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by jeffmetalhead
I use schaller strap locks on all my guitars...they are not hard to put on...you do know how to use a phillips screwdriver don't you?

No I am actually a snail and I have no hands.

I'm not worried about unscrewing the old strap buttons and swreing on the strap locks, I was just wondering if there are any that don't even require that much effort. It turns out there is. I think I still may go for the Schaller ones though.
the plant waves strap is nice, I own one, but if you already have a strap then get schaller or dunlop straplocks, it takes 15 mins tops to put them in
simplest i know is Schaller locks. I have them on my PRS. snug fit. really secure.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Large head screw, 2 large washers with small inside rings, toothpicks and wood glue.

If my screw-pin hole is stripped out, I take wood glue and toothpicks, shove it down there, and screw the screw back in. Otherwise, just put your strap between 2 large washers, screw the pin through the middle, and ta-da!; strap-locks

Just make sure you get a case where you don't have to remove the strap. Very cheap solution to a very simple problem.
I use Jim Dunlops. I like the screws they supply as they're slightly longer, which means thet they cut their own thread as you screw them in. They are extremly strong and the buttons themselves are niice and large.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by rebar71
I use Grolsch strap locks.

They certainly do work.

Just don't use them on bass guitars or you will have a hard time getting them off (and the strap buttons back on) !
I read about the Grolsch washers already. Are you able to take your strap off without a screwdriver?

Quote by JustRooster
Large head screw, 2 large washers with small inside rings, toothpicks and wood glue.

If my screw-pin hole is stripped out, I take wood glue and toothpicks, shove it down there, and screw the screw back in. Otherwise, just put your strap between 2 large washers, screw the pin through the middle, and ta-da!; strap-locks

Just make sure you get a case where you don't have to remove the strap. Very cheap solution to a very simple problem.

I've already got a case that wont fit the strap. I am not spending $200 to save 20.

I already ordered the Schallers, anyway.
Quote by Butt Rayge
I read about the Grolsch washers already. Are you able to take your strap off without a screwdriver?

I've already got a case that wont fit the strap. I am not spending $200 to save 20.

I already ordered the Schallers, anyway.

I used Grolsch washers years ago and they are flexible enough to fit over the strap buttons. Now I use Dunlop locks - easy to fit, and if there is an issue with the screw being too small (unlikely) then drip a little superglue into the hole, force a couple of matches in (so the heads protrude), give it a couple of minutes to dry, then snap the protruding part of the match off and the screw will fit perfectly in.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
I just bought a Swede, the Grolsch washers are seeming to have a bit of a difficult time with it. Seems like the button isn't as deep as most guitars. Tad worried I might have to get some real locks to an already overly heavy guitar.
Yeah, the strap buttons are just too small. My Jackson Kelly is a fairly heavy guitar but the strap buttons are like 2cm diameter, so there's no chance of a strap slipping off that. The ones on the swede are probably only a bit over half that and they're angled in a way that makes me really worried the strap will slip off.

When did you get your Swede? Got any pictures of it? I love mine. There's a few very minor problems with it (the strap buttons being the biggest one,) but I've seen $1500 guitars that aren't as good as my Swede.
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Oct 6, 2011,
I'm having mine setup right now. It was amazing when I got it, but slight string buzz on the low e had me bring it in. Can't wait to get it back! The pickups are amazing.
Most straplocks WILL hold your strap on the button, but the screw mays still rip out. the best thing I can think of is a DiMarzio Cliplok with glued screws.
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Most straplocks WILL hold your strap on the button, but the screw mays still rip out. the best thing I can think of is a DiMarzio Cliplok with glued screws.

I'm not worried at all about the screws ripping out. As I think I've mentioned a few times my guitar has tiny strap buttons that my strap could easily let go of. I'm more than confident in Hagstrom's ability to install screws.

Quote by ktgmeasap
I'm having mine setup right now. It was amazing when I got it, but slight string buzz on the low e had me bring it in. Can't wait to get it back! The pickups are amazing.

Mine was set up perfectly. I haven't done a thing with it. It had some very minor cosmetic problems but I'm pretty sure they would have been from the shop, not the factory. I agree, the pickups are amazing.
Quote by Butt Rayge

Mine was set up perfectly. I haven't done a thing with it. It had some very minor cosmetic problems but I'm pretty sure they would have been from the shop, not the factory. I agree, the pickups are amazing.

I got mine off eBay, so a setup fee still puts it way under new $. Thing looks brand new. Headstock and inlays are so wild.