Hey guys,

I am a complete nooby when it comes to anything hardware related on a guitar so I come to you begginf for help.

The intonation is out for my Ibanez S470D series guitar, but only on the highest 2 strings. I determined this using the standard open and fretted tuning test.

I want to fix it, but as this guitar has a whammy system with what I believe to be a different bridge setup to most guitars, I was wondering what I should do.

Any help appreciated.

THANKS!
Last edited by charliebe2 at Oct 5, 2011,
Well what kind of a Bridge does it have? Different Bridges have different ways of helping it get inotated
I am not entirely sure what the call the setup, looking around it seems to be described as a "ZR Bridge" or a floating bridge.
Intonation should be done with new strings 1st and foremost. Then you proceed to adjust /check all the things that need to be done before intonating as playing with them afterwards affect intonation.
(For tremolo bridges) set the spring tension so the bridge is in the desired position (level for floating trems and forward tilt for Start style)
Then check and adjust neck relief then string height (you may need to go back and forth between these to get your desired action.
Then you check and adjust the intonation. D Erlewine's method works well which is Open String and fretted 12th fret notes being compared. (No harmonics)

That's just a quick overview of the steps JJ1565 has a sticky with more details on how to perform them.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Intonation should be done with new strings 1st and foremost. Then you proceed to adjust /check all the things that need to be done before intonating as playing with them afterwards affect intonation.
(For tremolo bridges) set the spring tension so the bridge is in the desired position (level for floating trems and forward tilt for Start style)
Then check and adjust neck relief then string height (you may need to go back and forth between these to get your desired action.
Then you check and adjust the intonation. D Erlewine's method works well which is Open String and fretted 12th fret notes being compared. (No harmonics)

That's just a quick overview of the steps JJ1565 has a sticky with more details on how to perform them.

Could you possibly link me to the sticky? I really havent done any of this before.
the strings sit on "saddles" at the bridge which have little screws attached which you can use to move the saddle towards/away from the neck which is how you adjust the intonation on the strings

as the other 4 strings are fine im assuming your neck relief is ok and you most likely just need to adjust the saddles on the top 2

how many cents out is the intonation at the 12th fret and is it too sharp or flat?
Quote by funeralllllllll
the strings sit on "saddles" at the bridge which have little screws attached which you can use to move the saddle towards/away from the neck which is how you adjust the intonation on the strings

as the other 4 strings are fine im assuming your neck relief is ok and you most likely just need to adjust the saddles on the top 2

how many cents out is the intonation at the 12th fret and is it too sharp or flat?

Oh I see what you mean, both of the strings are flat. The E by about 20 cents and the B by 12.
^^^^closer to the neck if flat
Jackson DK2M
Jackson DKMG (81/85)
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960a
Boss GT-8 4cm
^hey

also, make sure the strings are fresh, if you find the intonation is difficult to adjust
for a few of the strings.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011