Page 1 of 5
(Searchbarr'd and surprisingly, didn't find anything)

Had this conversation with a friend tonight; what bands could have been huge, but failed to for whatever reasons?

I can only really think of Sublime, because of Brad Nowell's death, Jeff Buckley or Slint.

Granted, they were pretty big, but still, it made me wonder how much better they could have been.
2 British bands spring to mind: Reuben and SikTh.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Low could be if they got their name out more, but they don't seem to do so.

Neutral Milk Hotel (disbanded. are reforming, and are creeping in popularity)
Silversun Pickups (if they upped their game and promoted their stuff more/got to the right places)
SRV and Double Trouble (if stevie didn't die)

A lot of it is media coverage. I am fairly confident that if Silversun Pickups were played in the right places, they would become drastically more popular.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Oct 5, 2011,
Imperanon
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
Quote by thenextkirk92
Blindspott. NZ band who split pretty quickly. Could of been big. No-one has probably heard of them so here (two best songs imo) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8p0Qrf_4iE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykWiPkFFf_8&feature=related

I forgot about those guys. Didn't realise they'd broken up, to be honest.
Just knew a few of their tracks here and there.

Quote by Zeletros
How big is big?

Well, it's up to you. Heck, I think the Sex Pistols could have been even bigger had they released another album.
Quote by Banjocal

Silversun Pickups (if they upped their game and promoted their stuff more/got to the right places)

A lot of it is media coverage. I am fairly confident that if Silversun Pickups were played in the right places, they would become drastically more popular.

I'm too hipstery to want that to happen
Flower Travellin' Band, maybe if the tour with The Rolling Stones actually happened, still worth a listen if you want a Japanese Sabbath.
Mumm-ra. If they hadn't split up.
Milburn. If they hadn't split up.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by WantsLesPaul
I'm too hipstery to want that to happen

Silversun Pickups aren't exactly hipster material
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Deliriumbassist
EXACTLY what I came in to put, but in the other order.

Like a boss
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
The Living End, they are a punk band from Australia. Great implementation of music styles, and a really interesting listen.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Shotgun Messiah!!!!
Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
Steelheart would have made it big if they started about five years earlier... and if the singer didn't get that terrible injury which ended in the band splitting up and reforming later but with an almost completely different line up.
I totally agree with Reuben. Shame that they went on indefinate hiatus, considering how hard they have worked.
The only band that really comes to mind is Anvil. Over the years it's become more or less their trademark that they never got really big, even though they're well known (within the metal community). I think the reason for this is that they never had any awesome songs which stood out from the rest. All of their songs were solid, but none jump out above the rest. That leads to many people LIKING the band, but few really LOVING them. Of course this last part is more speculation than hard facts.
I'M A COWBOY
By far the best example is big star.

Their debut album got an insane amount of critical praise and the songs still sound incredible today. Their record company fucked up the distribution so all the people who wanted to buy it couldn't. Even worse, the record company they were on got bought out by Columbia who stopped distribution entirely and even took existing copies of the album off shelves.
Transatlantic. If Portnoy didn't treat it as just another side-project, they could take off. Astounding music.
Check out my Black/Death metal band!
galadh.bandcamp.com

Quote by StewieSwan
I had unprotected sex with an underage, pro-life, christian girl. Beat that.

Quote by Banjocal

Was gonna mention SSPU. They're pretty big but still, not enough people know them outside a few songs in ads and games. Shame cos they are like THE best band.
Quote by loaded_
The only band that really comes to mind is Anvil. Over the years it's become more or less their trademark that they never got really big, even though they're well known (within the metal community). I think the reason for this is that they never had any awesome songs which stood out from the rest. All of their songs were solid, but none jump out above the rest. That leads to many people LIKING the band, but few really LOVING them. Of course this last part is more speculation than hard facts.

The reason Anvil never got big is because they were never that good. It's only now with the film that they're popular again but they still aren't a good bad. They have some pretty good songs but they're mostly a pretty bad band, as most will agree.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by Airline-Olie
Flower Travellin' Band, maybe if the tour with The Rolling Stones actually happened, still worth a listen if you want a Japanese Sabbath.

I just listened to those guys. Freaking horrible. Pretty much exactly what I'd think a Japanese Sabbath would sound like though.
Metallica, had them bratty ass kids never downloaded their music,
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I'm going to get thrashed for posting a non-metal band here, but... This group from here in SC, Versus The Robot, could blow the hell up if people took them seriously. For some reason, nobody ever takes the time to really listen to these guys, who are not only ridiculous musicians, but good people and friends of mine. Check them out.
Quote by x_Hezee_x

My favorite bands are: Nickleback, Staind, Green Day, Disturbed and many more. I also like Songs that are being used in the WWE.

So gimme a shout out! im really looking for a Guitar Buddy
Quote by Vypor
The Living End, they are a punk band from Australia. Great implementation of music styles, and a really interesting listen.

+1 Very diverse music. Excellent band.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned for respecting my opinion and politely disagreeing.
You're probably the most respectful person in the Pit.
Quote by Burningritual

laura marling

I often wonder how big Death could've been if Chuck didn't pass. Surprisingly most people I've talked to don't even know who Annihilator is, or Korpiklaani. Another would be Cacopathy if Jason Becker never got sick. I guess in way they were "Big" but I'm thinking more if they like made a huge impact or got a chance too. I've heard alot of good bands that had potential and either split, quit, or gave up. Even a lot of great musicians that quit music come to mind.
Because, Boobs
Fight Fire With Water. Local band that disbanded to go to University
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
Quote by CynX
I often wonder how big Death could've been if Chuck didn't pass. Surprisingly most people I've talked to don't even know who Annihilator is, or Korpiklaani. Another would be Cacopathy if Jason Becker never got sick. I guess in way they were "Big" but I'm thinking more if they like made a huge impact or got a chance too. I've heard alot of good bands that had potential and either split, quit, or gave up. Even a lot of great musicians that quit music come to mind.

You genuinely find that surprising?

Quote by CynX

Lol Korpkikanni is hilarious, I always have to take them about as seriously as I can take bands like Alestorm or Swashbuckle.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Alestorm arrrrrrr dead serious.

lolololololol

Quote by Trowzaa
You genuinely find that surprising?

No, just more of a shame. They're both awesome bands with good musicians.

Quote by Vypor
Lol Korpkikanni is hilarious, I always have to take them about as seriously as I can take bands like Alestorm or Swashbuckle.

The last album, Ukon Wacka, they put out has more of a mature sound to it. Not to mention it's one of the best produced albums they've done yet.
Because, Boobs
Page 1 of 5