My Recording Equipment:
13 inch Macbook Pro
M-audio Mobile Pre interface
Shure Sm-57
DAW: Protools 6.9
I do not have reference monitors but I go straight through a PA system

That is really all the equipment I have thus far with recording. I want to be able to really just have a great setup to record guitars well and then branch off. I was just wanting to hear from you guys, what would you add to my setup to help me achieve an ideal guitar sound?

I do not know if this will help you but I play a range of music from: Metal to indie to praise to acoustic.

It is almost my birthday. I usually am allowed to get one big gift from my parents but I'd like to keep it under $300 because I am older now and want to be able to pay them back for anything expensive they get for me.

So the question is what is one thing that you would add to this setup around that price range or under to help better improve my sound?
the guitar sound right now is your amp.
you can grab any mic on the market, but when it comes to guitar cabs the 57 is gonna go punch for punch with it, and beat it 9 times out of 10. the natural 'downfalls' of the 57 are what make it so killer. it has a bit of slow response, meaning you wont get huge transient peaks (hence why it kicks ass for snare) and it keeps your getter sound kind of smooth, but still very midsy and present. lots of guys like the sen. E906, i've never got a sound out of it i liked.

last week i essentially did a dynamic mic shootout at school. in 2 hours i'm going in to mic up a guitar amp, with tons of different mics at my disposal. i'm about to bet the 57 is gonna win on the guitar cab.

long story short. if you've got a good amp and a good guitar, you'll be able to get killer guitar sound with that rig.
if you're looking into drum recording, you'll need a variety of different mics and an interface with a lot more space.
PRS CE22
PRS SE Santana
Fender Spalted Maple Tele
Squier Affinity Tele w.mods
Mesa Boogie Mark IV Combo + 212 Recto Cab
Homemade Ash Bass
BBE Two Timer
DUNLOP Wah
BOSS GE-7
KORG Pitchblack
MXR Dyna Comp

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Quote by Carndawgy
long story short. if you've got a good amp and a good guitar, you'll be able to get killer guitar sound with that rig.
if you're looking into drum recording, you'll need a variety of different mics and an interface with a lot more space.

Yeah right now I am playing through a Peavey XXL head which I think I need to get a new guitar head in the near future. Im thinking a Blackstar HT studio 20H. Just because how cheap it is and I would be able to manipulate its sound better via pedals and such, and I hear you can not beat Blackstar's cleans.

I have not and am pretty sure will not venture out to drums until I have mastered recording guitar or rather gotten decent at it.

I have two additional questions. What levels should a guitar be in a mix, typically?
Also regarding my interface, I know the mobile pre is pretty cool and all but what would be a way to go? Should I switch and get a mixer. Or stick it out with a better interface?
Don't get a mixer. It seems like a good idea. But you'd drop 1000 to get something pretty good (not great) then your look at patch cable (cable are expensive) then you still haven't got it into to your DAW. If you really want a control surface maybe look at a second hand 002 there about 500 to 600. Motorized and it should work with your version of protools.

Levels are depended on what else is going on in the mix but typical in I come in at around -10db (this give you room so you don't clip.) If your recording at 24bit you don't need to be super hot coming in because the dynamic range is massive.

57 is pretty good. Have look at the 421's their awesome on guitar, toms and vocals and even a kick drum. little bit pricey but awesome sauce
You need proper monitors in a proper monitoring environment. No matter what, whatever you are playing back needs to be reproduced accurately to ensure a proper mixing environment
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com