It's pushing the friendship but it used to be common to run a JTM45 into two 25W speakers. Speaker breakup is part of what made the Beano sound, that was a JTM45 cranked to 10 into two 25W greenbacks. But as I said, it is pushing the friendship. Guys used to blow their 4x12 greenback cabs with 100W Plexis all the time. You can do it but if you run the amp at 10 you run the risk of popping them, just like Townsend and Hendrix used to.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Eminence make one, the actual model number escapes me atm. If you were in Australia i'd recommend a Lorantz.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 5, 2011,
just to point out... I could be wrong, but I think celestions (assuming they're the greenies you're talking about) are very conservatively rated, whereas eminence aren't as conservatively rated. You might be avoiding the celestions and thinking the eminences are safer, and the reality might be that they're as safe as each other

don't quote me on that, but i think you might be safe with celestions rated at the "right" wattage, whereas with some other brands i would be scared.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ha fair enough. I'm still going with the eminence's though :P

What should I do with this...

EDIT: The GB128s are only avaliable in 8ohms and cant get them in 16ohms.

My cab is wired to take 2 16ohm speakers so how do I wire it to take 2 8ohm speakers?

Cheers, Luke.
Last edited by moominman2 at Oct 5, 2011,
i think you should let your parents look after your money.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
tube town in germany has 16 ohm versions of the gb12

though they're a bit dearer than blue aran

what about tayden? though i think their greenback is rated for 25 watts, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by moominman2
Ha fair enough. I'm still going with the eminence's though :P

What should I do with this...

EDIT: The GB128s are only avaliable in 8ohms and cant get them in 16ohms.

My cab is wired to take 2 16ohm speakers so how do I wire it to take 2 8ohm speakers?

Cheers, Luke.

If you wire the speakers in parallel, you get a 4 Ohm load.
If you wire them in series, you get a 16 Ohm load.

Your cab isn't really wired for anything. It's just a box, it doesn't care what impedance your speakers have or how you wire them.

If you want 16 Ohm GB12s, you'll have to look for used ones, or maybe some older stock that still sits on a shelf somewhere. Emi made 4, 8, and 16 Ohm ones. They were named GB124, GB128 and GB1216 respectively.
Quote by Dave_Mc
tube town in germany has 16 ohm versions of the gb12

though they're a bit dearer than blue aran

what about tayden? though i think their greenback is rated for 25 watts, too.

Yeah, seems like tt still has all the models in stock:
http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/index.php/language/en/cat/c195_Guitar-Legend.html

The Tayden is nice (I happen to have one ). Defo vintage, defo green. But yeah, it's 25w.
Far as Tayden is concerned, the Retro 55 looks nice. It's supposedly modeled after old Fane speakers. Don't own one, really been itching to try one though.
^

how close would it be to a greeny? don't know if i've ever tried a fane... i tried a hiwatt once, i think it had fanes, but i don't remember much about them.

they also do a g12h30-type speaker, might be closer to the greenback?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^

how close would it be to a greeny? don't know if i've ever tried a fane... i tried a hiwatt once, i think it had fanes, but i don't remember much about them.

they also do a g12h30-type speaker, might be closer to the greenback?

I'd have to compare them side by side, and since I've only played Greenbacks through a 4x12" and the Tayden through my 1x12", not to mention using different amps, it's kinda hard.

But, same characteristics... not too much top-end, not much bottom either, middy to the point of being nasal (in a good way). They also both give me the feeling that their just a couple of seconds from falling apart.

I only mentioned the Fane thing because it seems interesting, but more in general than for the ts.
Dunno how much closer a G12H30 would be, they sound a bit different than a Greeny.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Oct 6, 2011,
yeah... i don't think i've tried a greeny

thanks for the info
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There's very few considerations... and they're pretty much eh whatever.

With two speakers, you can wire either in parallel or series - effectively getting these total loads:

2x16 Ohms parallel: 8 Ohms total, practically all amps have an output for that
2x16 Ohms series: 32 Ohms total, practically no amp has such an output, so it's useless
2x8 Ohms parallel: 4 Ohms total, most amps (but not all) have a 4-Ohm-out
2x8 Ohms series: 16 Ohms total, again, most amps will have that output-option

So which you pick is dependant on what outputs your amp has. Your aor will be happy with either choice. I'd prefer something with 8 Ohms total (2x16), since pretty much any amp you will encounter can be hooked up to that.
Another miniscule thing is that if a speaker blows and the speakers are wired in parallel, the second speaker will continue working, albeit the impedance will have gone up in total. With two speakers in series, if one dies, the whole cab can stop working - and your amp's output-transformer will start frying. It won't die right away (in fact, it's not likely you'll blow a speaker anyway), but it might be something to keep in mind.