Page 1 of 2
I have boost/distortion pedals and a POD X3 Live, so i can tailor the sound pretty well.

Just wondering which will capture metal better?

sounds i'm looking for are anything from alter bridge to children of bodom (more so the latter)

guitars in sig.

thanks in advance!
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
Big difference in amps, I have never used either personally, but I have only heard good stuff about the Blackstar products and wouldnt mind playing with one of them myself. Biggest reason I wanna chime in here is to ask if you have used your POD with a tube driven amp before, because when I upgraded from my solid state to tube I stopped using my POD because it sounded very sterile and digital, basically made the tube amp sound like the modeling amp I had just gotten rid of!
i haven't tried either, but just from first principles, the jet city might take boosts better as it's all-tube. The ht-5 sorta almost already has an od pedal built into it.

That being said, plenty of pedals stack together fine, so it might have nothing to do with it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I think they mean verses threads as in Metallica V Megadeth or Liam V Noel.

This is just a run of the mill amp comparison thread with Vs in the title.
Well, I have the Blackstar Ht-20 combo, so just slightly bigger than the HT-5, and I can safely say it does metal well. Decent amount of gain, but nothing further than thrash metal really. I just don't think it has enough without an OD for stuff like Bodom, etc. No experience with the Jet City though.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Jet City does the Alter Bridge sound well with a boost.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
my money would be on the jet city. its all tube and will have more headroom.

a7x is using jet cities now so that should help you out with it a lot. but the jet city is a super great amp nonetheless. though I'm a fan of blackstars, i would not personally buy the ht-5
Quote by andrerist
my money would be on the jet city. its all tube and will have more headroom.

a7x is using jet cities now so that should help you out with it a lot. but the jet city is a super great amp nonetheless. though I'm a fan of blackstars, i would not personally buy the ht-5

Thanks for the input everyone!

As an A7X fanboy, I heard about ZV getting a modded 100 watt head. That is all that's been released on that matter, though. He used it on their tour on Uproar festival. I don't believe they use any JC's in the studio, yet, as I've rea that they use their custom bogner uberschalls in the studio.

Again, thanks for the input!
I'll probably be getting a JC soon to replace my VK212.
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo

Quote by beckyjc
Quote by Tom 1.0
Jca

Why, Tom?
I'd like for you to explain your opinion, as I trust your judgement.
Quote by Duv

Quote by guitarxo

Quote by beckyjc
Quote by larson8er
Why, Tom?
I'd like for you to explain your opinion, as I trust your judgement.

Really?

'Cor your brave...

Well to be fair the JAC is just the nicer amp, I have played both ( I have owned about 3 HT5s for some reason or another ) and as Dave has said, its just the black star distortion pedal going through a power amp, hence it often being labelled as a Hybrid amp.

You say you have some boost pedals, so you can boost the JCA and the video Angus posted shows that it can get quite nasty. Its also got more headroom, so it should have better bass response ( which it does ) and retain your "metal" tone for longer.

The Jet City Stuff isnt all out metal, but neither is the HT5, but when it comes to it, it is the nicer amplifier and can do a lot more than the HT5, even with just one channel.

If you wait a bit longer they are doing a JCA20 combo which has 2 channels and reportedly more gain as well.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by larson8er
Thanks for the input everyone!

As an A7X fanboy, I heard about ZV getting a modded 100 watt head. That is all that's been released on that matter, though. He used it on their tour on Uproar festival. I don't believe they use any JC's in the studio, yet, as I've rea that they use their custom bogner uberschalls in the studio.

Again, thanks for the input!
I'll probably be getting a JC soon to replace my VK212.

According to jet city, his amp was completely stock, including the tubes. He at least used it like this at first, no telling now.
Quote by NosralTserrof
I knew that JC could get to metal, but idk the 20 could get Br000tz (and I'm the world's biggest JC fanboy

Yeah, go with the Jet City.

It can do it with a boost in front of it. Its not like perfect for it by any means but it does it. 80s on its own, brutal metal with boost.
Its better then the ht5 at it anyway.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Oct 5, 2011,
The new 2 channel combo has the same lead channel as the 50/100 right? You could do it with the current 1 channel, but I'd be a little more confident recommending the 2 channel.

On my 50 without a boost and these settings -
Bass - 3
Mids - 5
Treble - 3-4
Presence - 3
Gain - 10 (ya, all the way up)

Nice thick saturated sound and can be really brutal. I really need to through my OD808 in front of that some day...
I'm definitely GAS'ing for the JCA20H now, seeing them go for under $250 on ebay all day.

Thanks for the information guys!

Also, special thanks to Tom1.0, for giving an in depth and really spot-on answer!
Quote by Duv

Quote by guitarxo

Quote by beckyjc
My JCA20H could do metal without a boost, through the right cab.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I really like my JCA20h. It can get to metal with a boost (but higher outb=put pups will help with that) and it can do the classic-hard rock thing well without one. It's cleans aren't the best, but they're there and at 20 watts it's easy to push into poweramp distortion too.

Just my 2 cents.
also, I'm drunk.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by MatrixClaw
My JCA20H could do metal without a boost, through the right cab.

What cab?

Seriously, I know about fuck all about cabs
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
iirc he was putting it through a custom ported Emperor 112

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Give me about 2 weeks (if you can wait that long) and I can record a JCA20h and a Blackstar Ht1hr (close enough?) through the same cab, same guitar, etc.
Quote by Wisthekiller
Give me about 2 weeks (if you can wait that long) and I can record a JCA20h and a Blackstar Ht1hr (close enough?) through the same cab, same guitar, etc.

Challenged Accepted Proposed
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by Wisthekiller

Awesome!
I hopefully won't have to wait that long, but more than likely will have to.
Quote by Duv

Quote by guitarxo

Quote by beckyjc
Quote by Tom 1.0
iirc he was putting it through a custom ported Emperor 112

Yeah I think that's what it was too..

I'm running mine through an open back orange, but just the other day I closed it up. It's much more djentlemanly now.
I'd prefer the EMG's, as they have much the same sound in all guitars, which, in my opinion, would be better for me to guess which i like the sound of better.
Quote by Duv

Quote by guitarxo

Quote by beckyjc
Quote by larson8er
I'd prefer the EMG's, as they have much the same sound in all guitars, which, in my opinion, would be better for me to guess which i like the sound of better.

They do not at all. Where people get this idea from, I have NO clue.
Quote by Wisthekiller
They do not at all. Where people get this idea from, I have NO clue.

I noticed some people discussing this very topic on YouTube earlier, I am wondering where it came from myself.
Twitter
Soundcloud

ESP LTD EC-500
Krank Krankenstein
Krank Krankenstein 4x12 Cabinet
Alesis M-EQ 230
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby GC95
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
More-so than passives, they do, being as they have the same peramp unit in each respective pickup.
also, ,i'll be putting EMG's back in my ec-1000 soon, so that will be a better comparison for me.
Quote by Duv

Quote by guitarxo

Quote by beckyjc
I'm pretty sure I heard the gain on the Blackstars aren't true tube overdrive. They get some digital/solid state help.
Quote by larson8er
I'm definitely GAS'ing for the JCA20H now, seeing them go for under $250 on ebay all day.

Sometimes you can get awesome deals on the 50 and 100 when they (rarely) pop up, I scored my 100 for $415 shipped with a recent tube swap and it came with an extra baffle. That's quite a bit of an upgrade (especially for metal) for $165

Quote by ChrisBW
The new 2 channel combo has the same lead channel as the 50/100 right?

I'm pretty sure it does, but it's an EL84-based amp where it's bigger brothers are 6L6GC. Most people prefer the 6L6's for metal and hard genres in general, although there's nothing wrong with an EL84.

Gain - 10 (ya, all the way up)

My JCA100's knobs go to 9 instead of 10, is your 50 like that too? Also what speaker are you running in your Orange cab? I'm thinking about getting a pair of Wizards for mine
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by ChrisBW
Yeah I think that's what it was too..

I'm running mine through an open back orange, but just the other day I closed it up. It's much more djentlemanly now.

Yup, ported Emperor 1x12 with a Jensen Electric Lightning
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Flux'D
My JCA100's knobs go to 9 instead of 10, is your 50 like that too? Also what speaker are you running in your Orange cab? I'm thinking about getting a pair of Wizards for mine

Well yeah it's 9 I wasn't sure how many people would know the Jet City's only go to 9.

I've got V30s in the Orange. I'm thinking of getting a couple of new speakers to do an X pattern in my Mesa 4x12 but I have no idea what.
Page 1 of 2