I have a Jackson King V that I switched the bridge pickup (used to be passive) to an EMG 81X. I used the EMG's wiring schematics and everything, but the neck pickup doesn't seem to be properly grounded. I have the neck pickup wired to the EMG's circuit, obviously without a battery connection.
Is there any way I can connect the neck pickup to a ground while keeping the bridge pickup on it's own? Or is there any other way I can ground it?

By the way, the guitar has a master volume, tone, and a 3 way toggle switch.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
you can ground it to a switch, even to the bridge, or just a spare pot - like the tone pot. but what you are trying to do is flawed because you're mixing high impedance with low impedance pickups. The EMG is low impedance and hence you should be using 25k pots wtih it, the passive pickup will probably be using the stock pots which in a jackson i'd imagine would be 500k. Essentially you can't have both pickups sounding as they should in the same circuit, using the same volume control and sharing the middle postion on a 3 way toggle switch. You need 2 volumes - each pickup has its own, and a 2 position swtich which means no b + n blend.
or keep the 3 way switch but do not wire the middle position [it would become like a killswitch in the mid position]
Quote by gman128
you can ground it to a switch, even to the bridge, or just a spare pot - like the tone pot. but what you are trying to do is flawed because you're mixing high impedance with low impedance pickups. The EMG is low impedance and hence you should be using 25k pots wtih it, the passive pickup will probably be using the stock pots which in a jackson i'd imagine would be 500k. Essentially you can't have both pickups sounding as they should in the same circuit, using the same volume control and sharing the middle postion on a 3 way toggle switch. You need 2 volumes - each pickup has its own, and a 2 position swtich which means no b + n blend.

I'm using the EMG circuit and the pots that came with it, with the damn "easy" connectors that you slide on. I assume the pots are made specifically for tone and volume separately because of how they are set up.
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Quote by GunsNSnakepits
I'm using the EMG circuit and the pots that came with it, with the damn "easy" connectors that you slide on. I assume the pots are made specifically for tone and volume separately because of how they are set up.

No, he explained it to you, EMG's are low impendence, meaning they have a very low resistance, and have a active preamp that boosts them, the passive pickup has a high resistance, thus why you need bigger pots to make up for it. It has nothing to do with tone unless you are looking for more highs, then you'd go with 50k pots.

Wiring passives into a active circuit is just dumb, you need all separate pots, switches, and jacks to do it, each pickup has to be on it's own separate circuit.

The reason yours is buzzing is because passive pickups ground though the guitar via the volume pot to your bridge, actives have an internal ground, thus don't need a ground to bridge.
Oh, I misunderstood. That makes perfect sense to me now.

I don't use the neck pickup much anyways, so for the time being I'll just wait until I buy an active neck pup to replace it. Not much of a fan of the pickup anyhow.

Thanks anyways dudes.
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul