Side project of Metatron from the Meads of Asphodel. Their sound for me can be best described as The Meads of Asphodel meets Graveland meets general Celtic styled folk metal. The 'concept' of the band focuses in a period of British history around 500bc, in particularly the battle of Badon Hill. 'The album celebrates the old British pride, the old Gods and the great tribes prior to the alien Germanic incursions.'

Alan Davey also of Meads and Hawkwind fame is on the album, along with a whole host of guest musicians including amongst others, Rob Darken from Graveland, Verst from Instinct and Roibeard O Bogail from Mael-Mordha.

Edit: I'm looking at the artwork. I would assume the guys to the left are the English, given the St. George Cross on the shield. But the St. George cross was only introduced after 1066, after the Normans defeated the Saxons. Infact after a quick google, it seems 1188 is the first official use of it by The English. And this album is about a pre saxon time around 500bc. 449 is credited for the date of the first saxon arrival with Hengist and Horsa, so the album is in theory set pre 449 which is over 700 years before the St. George was made official, and (according to wikipedia) the first use in general was the 9th century, which this album pre-dates. I thought the celtic flag had a red dragon? or even a Golden dragon in the case of Uther Pendragon?
Last edited by AnnihiSlateR at Oct 5, 2011,
Meh. I listened to a couple songs on jewtube, I liked them well enough, but they didn't inspire me to listen to more or download the album.

I've slit the throats of clergymen and governors
Those bloated swine...
May their screams unhinge a thankless crown

<= last.fm

Quote by Butt Rayge

Everyone is cunts.
I'm liking the songs you linked. Think I might well look further into this.

I do wish the vocals were stronger though...
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Last edited by Burning_Angel at Oct 5, 2011,
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
I thought the celtic flag had a red dragon? or even a Golden dragon in the case of Uther Pendragon?

Not sure about the Celtic flag, but i believe Wessex had a golden dragon as its flag too.

Anyway, this stuff sounds quite good, i need to actually give it a proper listen since i've had the album since it was released.
Last edited by logboy at Oct 6, 2011,
Quote by Burning_Angel

I do wish the vocals were stronger though...

In some respects I agree, but in others I feel Metatron has his 'signature rasp', which I know doesn't really justify it as such, but I like that it's quite clear what he's saying, as I feel it's a very lyrically important album, rather than just letting the music do the talking, I feel it's like proper folk in that it's relaying tales of old via the medium of music.

Quote by logboy
Not sure about the Celtic flag, but i believe Wessex had a golden dragon as its flag too.

Anyway, this stuff sounds quite good, i need to actually give it a proper listen since i've had the album since it was released.

This album has worked on me, in as much as I'm now very curious about this seemingly unknown (relatively speaking) period of our history.

Thinking about it, I don't think we'd have had a national flag until England was unified under the Saxons, I imagine it would have just been tribes, who may or may not have had flags.
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
In some respects I agree, but in others I feel Metatron has his 'signature rasp', which I know doesn't really justify it as such, but I like that it's quite clear what he's saying, as I feel it's a very lyrically important album, rather than just letting the music do the talking, I feel it's like proper folk in that it's relaying tales of old via the medium of music.

This album has worked on me, in as much as I'm now very curious about this seemingly unknown (relatively speaking) period of our history.

Thinking about it, I don't think we'd have had a national flag until England was unified under the Saxons, I imagine it would have just been tribes, who may or may not have had flags.

There were individual little kingdoms in the same way that the Saxons had kingdoms, the Romano-British left after the Empire retreated retained some of the civilisation they had under the Romans rather than reverting to the more primitive tribal culture they had before the Romans arrived.

Admittedly i don't know that much about that time period before the Saxons but a good starting point into it is Bernard Cornwell's Warlord trilogy. Its a work of fiction, but quite a bit of the background locations and culture are based on fact, plus they're brilliant books too.
I'll look into that, cheers. Though I have an ever growing pile of books to read. The only book I've managed to finish this year has been Rob Lowes autobiography.
I picked up a Kindle earlier in the year, and downloaded a torrent of ebooks the other day, at the moment i have about 2000 books to get through from that torrent alone. So many books, so little time