I know there are a few pedals that will ruin your sound but I’m stunned by the phenomenon called ‘tone-suck’ and its apparent importance. After 20 years of playing, using everything from junk to pro level equipment, playing in a cupboard to playing at the Reading Festival, I’ve never been struck by it. Every location I play in affects the sound, as does the sound of the other musicians so I have to tweak my settings constantly. If I plug in a wah pedal, I don’t analyse whether I have to adjust the settings or not because it’s part and parcel of playing.

I just read this in October’s issue of Guitarist magazine and I had to post it as it hits the nail on the head:

“You’ll find true-bypass switching on many boutique pedals. It means that when the effect is off, the signal from the guitar travels directly from the input to the output jack without passing through any other circuits. It’s good if you use minimal effects, short leads and love the sound of your amp.

Most ‘normal’ pedals, meanwhile, contain a buffer preamp that gives the signal a helpful shove as it passes through the deactivated effect, but without adding gain. This can help to overcome treble-sapping capacitance that can occur in long chains of true-bypass pedals linked together. Tone nerds say non true-bypass pedals sound ‘bad’. Everybody else adjusts their other settings accordingly.”

I’m not knocking anyone that dislikes the sound of a particular effect pedal but there are people out there making a good living, using equipment that is regularly dismissed by amateurs that think they know better. You don't always have to spend a fortune on something especially if you're only going to use it for one or two songs.
Cool post bro.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
but most of the pros have rigs that are setup so that their signal doesn't run through the pedal when they have it deactivated. We don't have the money, or really need, to have a MIDI loop system. I have a true bypass looper, but thats mostly just for convience.
I’m not knocking anyone that dislikes the sound of a particular effect pedal but there are people out there enjoying a hobby, using equipment that is regularly dismissed by professionals that think they know better. You don't always know more about gear just because you play for a living.
Quote by Roc8995
You don't always know more about gear just because you play for a living.

I completely agree. It's just stupid when you get someone with an opinion telling everyone that all <insert brand> effects suck and you have to modify them to get a good tone when proof of the opposite is out there.

Quote by Dmaj7
but most of the pros have rigs that are setup so that their signal doesn't run through the pedal when they have it deactivated. We don't have the money, or really need, to have a MIDI loop system. I have a true bypass looper, but thats mostly just for convience.

I disagree. I'm not talking about the guys with huge pedal systems, I'm referring to the pros with a tuner, wah, OD and delay pedals on the floor. They don't have switching systems, they just daisy chain their pedals.

The tone suck issue has got to the point where beginners are posting on here about the terrible tone suck having never actually tried the effect and used their own ears.
Well if they have only a few pedals it may not be a problem because I bet most of the are true bypass. Most of the time buffers will take away some of the sparkly treble.
Quote by Dmaj7
Well if they have only a few pedals it may not be a problem because I bet most of the are true bypass. Most of the time buffers will take away some of the sparkly treble.

This is kind of the opposite of what was said in the original post
Quote by coolstoryangus
You've played at reading?

Yes

Quote by Dmaj7

This is kind of the opposite of what was said in the original post
this thread has to much generalization to mean much. not all pedals have tone suckage that depends on the quality of the buffer. it a,so depends on how many buffers your signal is going though. one or two and your signal isn't likely to suffer much. if you don't use a tone with a lot of treble then you might not notice the problem. as for adjusting your settings well sure but if that is a result of the pedals and not the acoustics of the venue then it is an issue. why would you want to have to dick around when you don't have to .

wow kids reading something and not really understanding and then repeating it on the internet, never heard of that. . everyone has to learn and often it's the hard way. since there are no set in stone rules on this that is about the only way you will learn about it. no pedal is inherently "bad" for your tone that's just nonsense.

oh and about Reading i think folks are looking for details like when and what band
I've noticed that wahs suck tone usually. I just try not to have extra pedals that I never use.
Quote by Roc8995
I’m not knocking anyone that dislikes the sound of a particular effect pedal but there are people out there enjoying a hobby, using equipment that is regularly dismissed by professionals that think they know better. You don't always know more about gear just because you play for a living.

+1

I've read tons of interviews with players who admit they know nothing about gear. You generally get a spot in a band because you're a good player or write good songs, not because you're a gear-head.

I mean, sure, you can get too anal about the intricacies of gear, but there are a couple of pretty basic golden rules that'll help your tone immeasurably, and if i think something sounds bad, i'm not going to use it because some pro thinks it's awesome.

not to mention, pros have different needs to amateurs- they need stuff which is easy to get parts for, or in the worst case scenario, easy to buy replacements.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 6, 2011,
Quote by Dave_Mc

I mean, sure, you can get too anal about the intricacies of gear, but there are a couple of pretty basic golden rules that'll help your tone immeasurably, and if i think something sounds bad, i'm not going to use it because some pro thinks it's awesome.

This makes perfect sense. I never meant to imply that we should follow the herd and buy whatever the pros are using. You're using your ears to hear if something sounds bad and are acting on that. If I tried out a wah and didn't like it I'd send it back too, for whatever reason. I'm more reacting to the people that say stuff like "I need a pedal tuner but don't want a Boss because I have been told they ruin your sound", the truth is it's more complicated than that.

By the way, I don't use any Boss pedals!!
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?