For guitar case material. Which one do you prefer, and why?

Not talking about ATA, TSA, whateverthe****A cases, just the relatively cheap ones, where you can get wood or that other molded plastic stuff.

I'm thinking about durability obviously, which one can absorb more force from being thrown around, waterproofness? I've heard some horror stories about the plastic cases breaking, leaving holes in the case, whereas wood doesn't do that. So what are your experiences?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've never had a plastic case break on me. I use the regular Fender molded case for 2 of my guitars and a tweed case for my other two Fenders.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
It would have to be a strong and very light wood, if not, plastic for sure.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I transported my MIA Jazz bass in the Fender case it came with for 3 years without a single problem. A wood case sounds to me like it'd be way too heavy to be practical for me to trust it.

PS As I read your sig, he sang that line... it's like song ESP.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
either, as long as it's a quality case and the guitar fits properly.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I like both types of cases. but the ( lower end) Plastic cases seem very thin/brittle to me. Wood is heavy, but is good for durability.

That said cheap is cheap wether it is wood or plastic
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Pink Muse

PS As I read your sig, he sang that line... it's like song ESP.

Well I for one am not surprised. We are psychically related or some shit.

I have this case http://gatorcases.com/Default.aspx?Section=Products&Page=Details&CategoryID=4411&CatalogID=9126 and it's not heavy whatsoever. It says 9 lbs, but I guess spread out over the area it is, it feels like hardly nothing. I love it, but I have no experience with plastic, and I'm considering getting this for my next guitar http://gatorcases.com/Default.aspx?Section=Products&Page=Details&CategoryID=4410&CatalogID=11129.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X

just use good cases.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
hmm.. hard to say. both my strats are in molded plastic cases. i had a Kramer case from the late 70s that was wood right up until last year. it took a beating and was home to at least 10 different guitars over the years (i got it in 82) gave away in a trade and it still houses my Hamer Diablo which i traded for my 88 strat. the guy who currently has it still uses it as it fits the hamer perfectly (most cases don't due to the longer headstock.). we'll see how long the plastic cases hold up for but i'm thinking that they are both high quality so they should be fine for years to come.
Plastic. I smoke alot in my house, I figure wood would absorb the smell more.
Although my wooden fender box is covered in plastic...
Quote by gregs1020

just use good cases.

I read this all the time, but what defines a good case? At what price point does a case cease being mediocre and become good? I have very little experience with cases, as I just own the one I posted, so I have no idea what is good or what is bad. I read a lot of reviews, so I knew to obviously stay away from the $50 Musicians Gear one, but is my $70 Gator HSC still in that same bracket?

I mean, it seems like a good case, construction-wise. My only complaint is that the hinges aren't very tight.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Plastic. But honestly, id just find case that sounds right and read a bunch of reviews.
I've only ever had experience with plastic, but they haven't let me down

I fee like wood would be really heavy unless it's some sort of special super-hard wood too.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by Offworld92
I read this all the time, but what defines a good case? At what price point does a case cease being mediocre and become good? I have very little experience with cases, as I just own the one I posted, so I have no idea what is good or what is bad. I read a lot of reviews, so I knew to obviously stay away from the $50 Musicians Gear one, but is my $70 Gator HSC still in that same bracket?

I mean, it seems like a good case, construction-wise. My only complaint is that the hinges aren't very tight.

cases serve a purpose and how good it is at said purpose defines good or bad. just about any case is fine for home use after all your guitar just needs a place to live with some protection. once it's going to venture out into the real world then the degree of protection increases. don't know the specifics of your case but i'd want one that will prevent damage from the usual crap when taken out. for bands that play in bars a solid case is needed as the guitar will be crammed in with other gear into a car or truck. since chances are you will be the one that does this you still don't really need anything to out of hand. my slightly over a $100 SKB case can stand a reasonable amount of abuse but i wouldn't necessarily take it on the road if i was a touring band. for that i'd want a case that was either all or a good part metal.