Poll: FACT: the greats are assholes by nature
Poll Options
View poll results: FACT: the greats are assholes by nature
Yes, the greats are usually self-involved, egotistical pricks
5 4%
assholes are in every profession so I don't think there's a spike in douches when it comes to music
36 32%
I'm a smug prick right now and and i'm not even famous..imagine if people kissed my ass all day
7 6%
There are tons of great musicians who are humble friendly people, don't agree
44 39%
I know what you mean OP but don't expect these mental midgets to understand
2 2%
*drinks OP's beer and barfs on his driveway* heyy d00d where's your sister maan?
18 16%
Voters: 112.
Page 1 of 2
I mean, in order to be truly great, you almost have to be a self-involved prick and really have to believe in what you're doing. Jimmy Urine from MSI said it best. "If you're famous, you sucked a **** to get there." I say if you're famous, you sucked a **** and stepped over a bunch of people emotionally and or possibly physically to get there

if you read up on a lot of great musicians, the one thing they have in common is that they're all assholes.

I mean, I'm a shitty musician and i'm an asshole right now. I can't imagine how I'd be if everyone was kissing my ass all day
No.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
No, there are plenty of really nice, genuine musicians. Maybe just the people you meet are assholes... Maybe you're an asshole.
Check out my fitness blog here
Stevie Ray Vaughan was NOT a dick, thank you very much.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
There's two parts to being a music icon - actually writing music and advertising. People who think too highly of themselves feel no shyness in putting themselves out there (often where they aren't needed) so they come out on top.
Oh lordy.

Assholes are assholes broselini

Musicians are musicians

Assholes may be musicians, and vice versa, but being one does not mean you are the other.

Now stop being such an asshole and suck this ****

Quote by DeadlyIllness

[that guy again] gets the drum Solo and Title King of the UG.

*Drum Solo*

Steam: yintonyinton
PSN: yintonyinton
maybe the musicians around you seem like assholes because you are the asshole?

also like its been said: lol 11'ers
Quote by boreamor
Nope because I'm not a dick.
Quote by spanish lovin
then did you just call yourself a PUSSY???

^This = Win
ITT: TS recently got told he's an asshole by his bandmates, and wants to try and clear his conscience by generalizing every musician as an asshole.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Usually when I look up musicians I find that they're really nice people, not assholes.

You just like assholes.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
"If youre oh so ****ing different then who cares what you have to say?

because theres no such thing as rock stars, theres just people who play music,
and some of them are just like us, and some of them are dicks."

-god
No, being an asshole requires steadfast dedication and years of practice. Not all musicians have what it takes to be an asshole. Bassists, for example, would never match up to the egotistical mania of a virtuoso guitarist like myself.
Last edited by Godsmack_IV at Oct 5, 2011,
Most of the greatest musicians are messed up mentally one way or another, so yea.
Quote by killjoy_bentley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl9GMOTaqtc

dave grohl is a c0cky prick. i wonder how tough he'd be without his 100 security guards. but i bet you think he's just awesoome for this, huh?

I havent seen that in a while, but its still awesome.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by killjoy_bentley

dave grohl is a c0cky prick. i wonder how tough he'd be without his 100 security guards. but i bet you think he's just awesoome for this, huh?

That's not being an asshole. That's protecting your fans. He's got a crowd of people who'll listen to him, if I were in his shoes and saw someone beating up someone at one of my concerts, you bet your ass I'd intervene and ask for some help. People pay good money to come to the show to forget about life, have a good time, and enjoy some good music, not get a black eye, a missing tooth and a broken wrist. They deserve to enjoy it in a safe environment.

It's one thing to jump in because someone's recording the concert or because someone's heckling you. That's just childish in my opinion. But a fight? Not stopping it would've been the asshole thing to do.

Quote by killjoy_bentley

I think I saw him at the IZOD Center, asked a group of kids if they were in a band who were in the front row, and praised them when they said they were. I know that if someone were ruining the show for others, I'd kick them out too, either as the act or as the venue's management.
Quote by necrosis1193
That's not being an asshole. That's protecting your fans. He's got a crowd of people who'll listen to him, if I were in his shoes and saw someone beating up someone at one of my concerts, you bet your ass I'd intervene and ask for some help. People pay good money to come to the show to forget about life, have a good time, and enjoy some good music, not get a black eye, a missing tooth and a broken wrist. They deserve to enjoy it in a safe environment.

It's one thing to jump in because someone's recording the concert or because someone's heckling you. That's just childish in my opinion. But a fight? Not stopping it would've been the asshole thing to do.

its not the fact that he stopped the fight, its just how ****ing smug and into himself he was about the whole thing.

'you don't come to MY concert and do that shit! people come to MY concert to dance you ****ing prick!'

he really thinks its all about him
Quote by killjoy_bentley
its not the fact that he stopped the fight, its just how ****ing smug and into himself he was about the whole thing.

'you don't come to MY concert and do that shit! people come to MY concert to dance you ****ing prick!'

You're mistaking being an asshole for having presence. Believe it or not, it is HIS show, and he has a duty to entertain the people there while he's kicking someone out. Considering his reputation as one of the nicest guys in rock, I'm pretty sure that it was a joke.

Now, when Maynard sat on a fan who got up on the stage...
Last edited by L2112Lif at Oct 5, 2011,
By the way, I hate this notion that artists have to be personable today. The new Beethovens of the world are probably being constantly buried because they're not "suitable for society."
Quote by Andrew C. S.
Generalize much?

+1 Michael.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Quote by Xiaoxi
By the way, I hate this notion that artists have to be personable today. The new Beethovens of the world are probably being constantly buried because they're not "suitable for society."

good
Quote by killjoy_bentley

...Well, it kind of is. He wrote, played, produced, sang and did pretty much everything at first with the Foo Fighters after Nirvana dissolved, and he still writes the central parts of the music, writes the lyrics, plays the guitar, the drums occasionally, sings, fronts the band, the rest of the band is important, yes, but Dave's the singer(We're surrounded by the human voice. Our ears know its nuances so well that nearly every voice is distinct, hence why singers are such a big part of the band), the driving creative force of the band, the bandleader, and the frontman, it is his show.

Also, you put on a part when you go onstage. In rock, for singers and guitarists, and especially someone who does both, that's typically that of an awesome badass who's in control of things, and you will listen when they have something to say. Playing The Joker doesn't make Mark Hamill a supervillain, and playing the role of Dave Motherfucking Grohl doesn't make Dave Grohl an ass.

Quote by killjoy_bentley

So instead of pausing the show for a minute to kick some aggressive twats out, you'd let them get violent and ruin the rest of the show for a lot of other people, including yourself just trying to entertain?
Now that's being a prick. And if you'd asked nicely you'd be a pussy.
Typical '11er asking ridiculous questions.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
^ Was a joke. Get it?
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Quote by L2112Lif
Wai... Bu... H... Y... You'...

I give up.

You would throw that in my face.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Nick Cave is very dedicated to his fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwQ9NVOP734
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Quote by L2112Lif

You're mistaking being an asshole for having presence. Believe it or not, it is HIS show, and he has a duty to entertain the people there while he's kicking someone out. Considering his reputation as one of the nicest guys in rock, I'm pretty sure that it was a joke.

Now, when Maynard sat on a fan who got up on the stage...

That was just awesome. Maynard's the man.

It's too often people mistake a good sense of humor for being an asshole.
Page 1 of 2