Listening to Slayer's Christ Illusion album, I am noticing lots of Clipping. Theres loads of it on Metallica's Death Magnetic. Even some of the worst producers I know all produce songs with less clipping than the albums he's produced.

So what exactly is he doing wrong? or maybe is it not him but someone else he uses?
He know exactly what he's doing. He's decide to limit it super hard so it appears loud on the radio. I wouldn't do it. But I'm also not rich. Hmm...
Quote by Wild Hopkins
He know exactly what he's doing. He's decide to limit it super hard so it appears loud on the radio.

This, most likely. Obviously there's a serious lack of dynamic range along with that, exactly what I don't like when listening to stuff.
Professional lurker since 2009.
It seems to me that he knows he's started taking his position & ability to get work for granted, and is throwing caution to the wind where some projects are concerned. He's definitely produced some much better stuff as well in recent years though, he was responsible for a few tracks on Adele's latest album, which stayed in the UK charts for a record number of weeks!
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Probably more of the mastering engineers fault. Rubin hardly had anything to do with the actual production of that Slayer album anyway.
Quote by Odirunn
Probably more of the mastering engineers fault. Rubin hardly had anything to do with the actual production of that Slayer album anyway.

Sounds like his "hands off" approach to the production of death magnetic. Maybe that's the problem!
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Most of the problems with Rubin's work comes from the mastering stage, which is usually done by a dedicated mastering pro - for example, in Death Magnetic it was a well-renowned guy called Ted Jensen.

Remember 'producer' is a big term and doesn't just mean 'guy in charge of mixing'. A good producer is more like the director of a film - making stylistic choices, advising the band, arrangement.

If you want to hear a really good example of Rubin's production, listen to De-Loused IN The Comatorium by the Mars Volta (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdJwtxFpzjs), or the vinyl master of Stadium Arcadium (which sounds noticably better than the CD, showing the impact mastering makes on the sound).
I highly doubt any of the clipping issues are Rick's fault. A lot of producers, especially producers like him, do not do much, if any engineering on albums. Even if he accepts clipping in a take because the performance was right, it was the engineers fault for not having the levels right.

I'm personally a big fan of his work. There's something about his sound (not the clipping/limiting issues) that I really like. I can't really put my finger on it, but I think he's an excellent producer.
Quote by sandyman323
I highly doubt any of the clipping issues are Rick's fault. A lot of producers, especially producers like him, do not do much, if any engineering on albums. Even if he accepts clipping in a take because the performance was right, it was the engineers fault for not having the levels right.

I'm personally a big fan of his work. There's something about his sound (not the clipping/limiting issues) that I really like. I can't really put my finger on it, but I think he's an excellent producer.

+1 the guy who did mastering on DM stated that the album was brickwalled all to hell before it ever got to him.
Sounds like he takes the mics and has them all actually touching the drum skins when recording...
he monitors everything through stock ipod earbuds
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Last edited by Eggmond at Oct 6, 2011,
Maybe he's convinced that the waveform is supposed to just be a single block of colour...
Quote by Afroboy267
So what exactly is he doing wrong? or maybe is it not him but someone else he uses?

My guess is along the lines of what has already been posted by a few people, Rubin has little to nothing to do with the mastering stage and that's usually where the record company representatives can get their two cents in when they're working with a producer like Rubin (who has such a strong reputation that he gets away with making albums his way). Rubin isn't so much a hand-on kind of guy when it comes to the recording process, none of the big-name producers really are these days, his strength is more along the lines of getting the best out of the performers. If it hadn't been for the horrible sonics of Death Magnetic I would have listened to that album a lot more, the songs were a lot stronger than Metallica had produced the last 10-15 years.

And Rubin has made some great-sounding album in his day, most recently the Avett Brothers' I and Love and You.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
Quote by RabidPikachu
He likes making really bad bands sound worse for fun.

+1
Bubonic Studio
Turning death & mayhem into audio
Quote by ebon00
Rubin isn't so much a hand-on kind of guy when it comes to the recording process, none of the big-name producers really are these days, his strength is more along the lines of getting the best out of the performers.

I disagree. Adam D is, or is at least becoming, a big name producer in the metal scene. He's the most perfectionist nazi you could ever imagine when it comes to recording, and he'll even jump in on an instrument to do various things.