i don't call myself a pure jazzer in the sense,but alot of my style is based on jazz....it just seems like the so called"general public"is either too inept or don't understand this artform...jazz is and will always be a"musicians"type of artform... is it just that it is too cerebral in a sense to appeal to a general audience?i've never met a jazz musician who didn't dedicate his life towards learning and perfecting his craft...the general audience seems not to understand that
Last edited by grant878 at Oct 5, 2011,
Well.... "Jazz" is a mighty big tent these days. Dozens of different styles and schools of thought ranging from almost-pop stuff to really "outside" material that as you note, most of the listening public just doesn't "get".
It's lonely out there where the buses don't run.

If you want to play avant-gard material and experiment and such, you're going to have to put up with the fact that you will not achieve huge audiences of adoring fans.
Some artists have done well by mixing things up. George Benson used to play a lot of "pop" jazz, but with each album he'd have at least a couple of good, solid instrumentals.
He figured that if someone bought the album because of the pop tunes, at least they'd be exposed to some real jazz....
The view of the "general public" applies not only to jazz but every form of music that doesnt release dopamin in their brains from relesing easy patterns to predict, virtuosos dont appeal to the masses, geniuses arent understood by "general people".

We all do mental drugs when we listen to music, it is just so that the majority of people do crack while some do more sophisticated drugs like heroin.

Whatever fills ones soul, if its justin bieber though.. have fun filling it with vomit :P
Last edited by Slashiepie at Oct 6, 2011,
Quote by Slashiepie
geniuses arent understood by "general people".

This is so true
Quote by Slashiepie
... more sophisticated drugs like heroin.

You completely destroyed any chance of making a good point when you said this.

If you seriously think heroin is "more sophisticated" than any other drug, then you're either extremely naive and have never actually been around a user or just extremely dumb.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
The smartest thing I did as a fifteen year old boy was to take jazz lessons. I of course wanted to learn rock but teacher wisely told me that if I learned jazz I would have no problem playing rock.

I took two years of lessons before I quit in favor of learning about the evils of girls and cars. I'm certainly not good enough be called a "jazz cat" but it did open up an appreciation to a whole world of fantastic music.

Is todays generation any different than mine (I grew up in the 60s and 70s) when it comes to jazz? I have a feeling that there is about the same low percentage of kids interested in it as there was in my time.

I'm not completely dishearted by it's lack of popularity, like you said, jazz (like classical) is an extention of musical learning, and there will always be some within each generation to carry the torch.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by grant878
i don't call myself a pure jazzer in the sense,but alot of my style is based on jazz....it just seems like the so called"general public"is either too inept or don't understand this artform...jazz is and will always be a"musicians"type of artform... is it just that it is too cerebral in a sense to appeal to a general audience?i've never met a jazz musician who didn't dedicate his life towards learning and perfecting his craft...the general audience seems not to understand that

They won't understand it. Jazz is old fashioned and no one listens to it anymore, at least the majority anyway. Stuff like Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday etc, that's the real shit.

Students of jazz today make the excuse that it's difficult. It's only difficult cuz it's not mainstream anymore, we're not surrounded by it like in the 40's and 50's.

For musicians back then, learning jazz was like a guitar student today learning Smoke On The Water. It's what their and our ears are used to, then and now respectively.

For people to understand jazz, they have to ask themselves the question, "What is Jazz?"...really, what is it?

A short answer would be rhythm, improvisation, drugs and alcohol.
Last edited by mdc at Oct 6, 2011,
This whole thread is full of "waaaahhhhh, people don't listen to meeeeee!". No one cares and if you were a true artist neither would you.

*reported*

Edit: dammit, just noticed that TS is banned anyway...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.