Page 1 of 4
Whay.

Jazz was the pop music of the 20's and 30's. Nowadays, people aren't looking for heavy improvisation or odd beats in their bubblegum pop.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
It is because losers with no life keeps making multi accounts months after months, years after years.
The only chance of getting more people interested in Jazz these days is fusing it with synthetic beats and toilet sounds.
Quote by due 07
Because it's boring to a lot of people, myself included.

That being said, Thundercat's new album, The Golden Age of Apocalypse, is one of my favorites of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz3YuIF98xk

That's because you're a plebe who doesn't appreciate music if it doesn't have filthy half grown pubebeards and 20 year olds wearing argyle sweaters getting ****ed up the ass angstily into a mic over out of tune cheap acoustic guitars playing 3 chords
Jazz is only fun live, IMO.
Guitars:
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Gibson Les Paul Bfg
Acoustics
Ibanez GSR200FM Bass
Amps:
Bugera V55HD w/avatar cab
Fender Champ 600 with 4 ohm cab
70s traynor 200w head with 2 9x8 cabs for bass
Quote by kmaster 1337
Jazz is only fun live, IMO.

It's good when it is an organic thing, happening in the moment... but on record, it just loses all life.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by L2112Lif
believe it or not, its actually easier to masturbate to. That might be why it isn't nearly as public as it once was.

It's harder to get in sync with the beat.
you're a stone fox
Define the general public.

I know a lot of people into jazz.
Just look at any jazz festival, the crowds they pull are fairly impressive. Then those people leave and integrate into the "general public" with the people who don't like jazz.
Quote by due 07

That being said, Thundercat's new album, The Golden Age of Apocalypse, is one of my favorites of the year.

"Jazz is boring unless the Needle Drop tells me to like it!"
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Whay do you care what other people listen to?
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by NothingRocks
You mean Nu Jazz and Deep House? Because those aren't popular.

:3
Not familiar with those genres.

I'm getting out of here before you children give me a heart attack with your ignorance.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I find that jazz takes a very large mental focus from me to truly enjoy it. If i just listen to it casually like other forms of more accessible music I find I don't enjoy it. It requires my full attention, and that isn't what people want when they listen to pop.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Often times there are no words.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by due 07

If I may be trite, that song sucks.
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
its much easier for the ear to digest. compare a song by someone like pat martino to a song like mr saxobeat thats been popular lately. it becomes obvious once you make the comparison.
See, the kids, they listen to the rap music...which gives them the brain damage; with the hippin' an' the hoppin' an' the bippin' an' the boppin'... and they don't know what the Jazz....is all about!
Quote by parigod

You're wrong.

Edit: In relation to OP, Jazz is still popular, but it's not in the limelight. Perhaps because when people think of Jazz you're lead to greats over 50 years ago, music evolves and Jazz has somewhat, but the general public haven't really followed... I don't know that's how I'm seeing it.
Catch the Dragon
Quote by hriday_hazarika
This thread is as terrible as music, which sucks balls.
Last edited by Funky_Fresh91 at Oct 5, 2011,
It's boring. "wonk wonk squiggly squiggly doop!" What am I to do with that?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Demon Wolf

It's good when it is an organic thing, happening in the moment... but on record, it just loses all life.

I could not disagree more, actually, I'll give it a go:

Lies lies lies! That's a bunch of ****ing lies! Go die in a pit of your dirty lies!
Because people think that 'jazz' is Kenny G.
█████████████████████████
its an older sort of music, i mean, not a lot of younger people today will be so into like 1900's pop

but most people seem to be able to enjoy jazz, you mostly hear it in relaxing cafe sort of places and whatever... a lot of the time jazz is a really calming sort of music.
Quote by element4433
"Jazz is boring unless the Needle Drop tells me to like it!"

Oh my. Like I said, Fantanocore is the Next Big Thing.
Quote by parigod

Nope.
Quote by due 07
Oh my. Like I said, Fantanocore is the Next Big Thing.

Nope.
I know you so well.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I don't think it's because it's too technical, and not ALL jazz is technical and has off beats and crazy things. Pop is just really unpersonal, so people can just apply it to themselves easily without having to put much thought into it, it's also easier to dance to than swing/jazz, and it's what everybody likes nowadays.
Quote by rockfan7
I don't think it's because it's too technical, and not ALL jazz is technical and has off beats and crazy things. Pop is just really unpersonal, so people can just apply it to themselves easily without having to put much thought into it, it's also easier to dance to than swing/jazz, and it's what everybody likes nowadays.

A beat that's off is considered technical shit in the world of todays pop music consumer.
Quote by Zoot Allures
A beat that's off is considered technical shit in the world of todays pop music consumer.

I find my self surprised, people are a lot more open to things than everyone seems to think. I've never seen some one go when they hear something that I think is technical.
Page 1 of 4