Hi,

Today I got a new Jet City JCA2112RC, because my last one had some problems so I decided to just send it back since I only had it for a week and a half. There's a couple things though that I've noticed on this new one.

1) When I'm playing, and then I turn down my guitar volume, there is still a low hum coming from the speaker, it's not effected by the guitar vol. at all, so I think that is ruled out. It's not that big of a deal, but it kind of bugs me. It is more obvious at higher volumes, and I never noticed this with the other one I had.

2) There is also a slight rattle from inside the amp (I'm guessing the tubes?) when I play at loud volumes. How do I go about fixing that?

Are these things bad? If so, how would I fix them? Thanks
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
1) My JCA50H is the same. A noise gate will (should) solve this problem if it's really bothering you. My 5150 is loud as hell just from turning it off standby, almost completely silent since I got my decimator. I've actually not used it on my JCA yet though....

2) Never owned a tube combo amp but I've read this is a fairly common issue. I think if you get those little spring things that go over tubes it helps but I'm not completely sure on that.
Quote by ChrisBW
1) My JCA50H is the same. A noise gate will (should) solve this problem if it's really bothering you. My 5150 is loud as hell just from turning it off standby, almost completely silent since I got my decimator. I've actually not used it on my JCA yet though....

You still get them hum on the JCA even when the guitar volume is on 0 right?
Quote by Robchappers

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
'Twer it me I'd put bigger filter caps in it. That's an area amp manufacturers often skimp on to save money.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah even when there's no guitar volume. As long as it isn't a problem when you're actually playing you should be ok.
what was wrong with the first amp?

amps hum

if it hums really loudly then maybe the amp or the guitar are not grounded properly. Try a different guitar. Try your amp in a different room or a different location altogether.

tube rattle can by annoying but it won't hurt anything. If your amp can run an extension cab as I believe it can, try plugging a cab in and then listen (or record) for the tube rattle while it is a far distance from the combo. get an oven mit - does the rattle if you push down on the power tubes? you can also tap on the tubes with a pencil (eraser) and listen for that tapping coming out of the speaker. Again this is easier to determine if the speaker cab is separated a fair bit from the amp.

it may simply be an overly microphonic preamp tube - which is easy to test and replace. you should have 1 extra preamp tube laying around at all times anyway.

i just re-read that your 1st amp did not have this problem. this would tell me that your guitar and power are fine.
one of the EL84's in my first one was red plating and blew and I guess that I could have done damage to the screen grid resistor so I figured instead of spending 30 bucks on all new tubes and stuff I'd just send it back and get a new one cause I had only had the other one for about 14 days prior to that going wrong.

and yeah I don't really care about the tube rattle, and as far as the hum goes, it just sort of was bugging me because I don't remember hearing it before, (maybe I never noticed it haha) so I was just wondering if it was a big deal.

thanks for the replies guys
Quote by Robchappers

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Also, if you are standing near your amp facing it, it can introduce hum. Try walking away from it and face your guitar away from it.

May not be your issue but I had a customer that had this issue and thought it was a problem with the amp so I thought it would be worth mentioning.
Amps hum, even high fi $1000 stereo systems hum at high volumes, just it's very slight. They hum even more with distortion. If you are playing with single coils, it'll hum, if you have a dirty power supply, it'll hum, if you have a computer, or fan running near it, it'll hum.

Humming doesn't mean there's something wrong with the amp, unless like 311 said, if it's loud humming.