Has anyone played both a Blacktop strat and the standard MIM Strat by Fender? Which one do you prefer in terms of quality and sounds.

What would be the main differences between both of them? I'm looking into buying one or the other. I know I should try them both out, but I'd just like opinions on it first

Thanks
The main difference would be the humbuckers vs single coils. I haven't actually played a blacktop so I'm not sure about any other differences.

I own a MiM and it's great.
The difference is literally just the pickups and the control knobs. Everything else is the same. So it's just a qustion of whether you like single coils or humbuckers.
Well both guitars feature single coil and humbucker sounds. The HSS MIM Start give you four traditional strat tones along with the bridge humbucker. With the blacktop youll be getting your standard three humbucking sounds and two single coil sounds (neck and an out of phase sound).

Also, the blacktop has pretty hot pickups while the standard MIM has more standard of a pickup sound.
Quote by Duv

Oh, and for resonance . . . smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.
As others have already said, the Blacktop has hotter pickups than the MIM. I don't actually have any experience with the guitars, but i'm planning on getting a Blacktop tele as soon as I can get some cash.

Also, I believe the Blacktop series have 22 frets instead of the MIM's 21, if that makes any difference to you.
Last edited by micromountain37 at Oct 5, 2011,
Quote by grohl1987
The difference is literally just the pickups and the control knobs. Everything else is the same. So it's just a qustion of whether you like single coils or humbuckers.

Not quite. The Blacktops have a different neck finish and profile altogether, and 22 frets instead of 21.
nerd it til it Hz.
>Fender Jagstang / Epiphone SG Special / DIY/GFS Partscaster
>SBN Big Daddy Amp Blaster / Boss OS-2 / Line 6 DL-4 / DIY guitarpcb.com D'Lay
>Vox AC15C1 / Marshall 4x12
I have the Blacktop.
It's a bit different to the standard:
-glossy neck
-swimming pool route
-22 frets
-you can't tap the pickups. the inbetween settings select the outer coils of each pickup or the inner
-i think the neck is abit thinner than the standard, but also heard they might be american necks

Thats all i can think of thats diferent at the moment. The guitars been at my band's practice space for like a month.
Quote by OP-IVY
I have the Blacktop.
It's a bit different to the standard:
-glossy neck
-swimming pool route
-22 frets
-you can't tap the pickups. the inbetween settings select the outer coils of each pickup or the inner
-i think the neck is abit thinner than the standard, but also heard they might be american necks

Thats all i can think of thats diferent at the moment. The guitars been at my band's practice space for like a month.

On the last bit about the end form what Fender says all it's necks wether MIM or MIA are made in america but on the actual thread well yeah what sound do you prefer really
Oh right i never knew that! learn something new everyday!

Obviously one of the advantages of the Blacktop is the swimming pool route, which is like a blank canvous for modding. If you did get bored of having HH you could try SSS, HSS HSH, SSH.... pretty much anything really, apart from a wide range pup in the neck slot. That could be something to think about for the future.
well the standard strat has three single coil pups so you'll get richer sounding cleans and thinner sounding overdrive, depending on the amp and how you eq it of course.

The blacktop has 2 humbuckers you it will give you a fatter rock tone, which is IMO better suited to overdrive. the cleans might not sound as crisp as on the standard just fatter.
Just think of it as kind of a snappier brighter sg style guitar.

out of interest, what guitar and amp are you using at the moment?
Quote by OP-IVY
well the standard strat has three single coil pups so you'll get richer sounding cleans and thinner sounding overdrive, depending on the amp and how you eq it of course.

The blacktop has 2 humbuckers you it will give you a fatter rock tone, which is IMO better suited to overdrive. the cleans might not sound as crisp as on the standard just fatter.
Just think of it as kind of a snappier brighter sg style guitar.

out of interest, what guitar and amp are you using at the moment?

I'm going to most likely buy a VOX AC30VR.
What band's are you into, what kind of sound are you going for?
Quote by Volcz
I'm going to most likely buy a VOX AC30VR.

Not to derail the thread, but as someone who owned the AC30VR for about 6 months and now owns an AC15C1 ($50 more) I'd highly, highly, highly recommend spending the extra 50 on the 15. It's easily just as loud as the 30VR, and has a much better tone all around. The onstage aesthetic of having a 2x12 Vox is cool, but that's about the only reason I can think of as to why it would be better.
nerd it til it Hz.
Quote by lifesglorydead
Not to derail the thread, but as someone who owned the AC30VR for about 6 months and now owns an AC15C1 ($50 more) I'd highly, highly, highly recommend spending the extra 50 on the 15. It's easily just as loud as the 30VR, and has a much better tone all around. The onstage aesthetic of having a 2x12 Vox is cool, but that's about the only reason I can think of as to why it would be better.

Is it okay to gig with the AC151?
Quote by Volcz
Is it okay to gig with the AC151?

Heck friggin yeah! I think moreso than the VR. The difference is the VR, like any solid state, is not gonna sound as good when it's cranked, and the AC15 is only gonna get better the louder you run it. I recorded my VR with an SM57 once and the volume turned up all the way just to see what the tone was like from that perspective... it's crap. I didn't like it one bit.
nerd it til it Hz.
Quote by lifesglorydead
Heck friggin yeah! I think moreso than the VR. The difference is the VR, like any solid state, is not gonna sound as good when it's cranked, and the AC15 is only gonna get better the louder you run it. I recorded my VR with an SM57 once and the volume turned up all the way just to see what the tone was like from that perspective... it's crap. I didn't like it one bit.

That's a tough decision for me since the opinions on each product I'm getting is now like 50-50. I guess I have to try them both out for myself.

Just checked Allans Music Store in melbourne, and the AC15C1 is one $100 AUD more expensive. Would this mainly be because of the all tubes as to the solid state and tube technology in the ac30vr?
Dude i think you'd be alot happier in the long run with a tube amp. The bands you listed get alot of their sound from the nice warm tone of theirs.
I'm sure there are some great sounding solidstate amps out there but i haven't heard any..
And i just wanted to say, 15 watts is plenty loud. I play a Tiny Terror head in my 3 piece Punk band and i cut through the drummer just fine, and when you gig, you'll most likely be mic'ed up anyways... the soundman will think your a god for bringing something as small as that. trust me! hahaha
Quote by Volcz
That's a tough decision for me since the opinions on each product I'm getting is now like 50-50. I guess I have to try them both out for myself.

Just checked Allans Music Store in melbourne, and the AC15C1 is one $100 AUD more expensive. Would this mainly be because of the all tubes as to the solid state and tube technology in the ac30vr?

Yeah the 15 is all tube, plus you've got a real Celestion Greenback in there instead of the cheapo Vox ones in the 30, and there's a spring reverb, etc. And it feels a lot more well-built in my opinion.
nerd it til it Hz.
Okay thanks for that, is there any major maintenance involved (replacing the tubes) or anything? My current amp is solid state which is why I ask.
Just make sure you get the right ones is pretty much all, good thing about this one is you don't need to get it biased whenever you switch brands/types. But yeah, so far mine has been very low-maintenance and I use it fairly often.
nerd it til it Hz.
Blacktop Strat. Better neck, cheaper, nicer sound IMO. Save the extra cash from not getting a standard and chuck some new PUPs in that bad boy.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Blacktop Strat. Better neck, cheaper, nicer sound IMO. Save the extra cash from not getting a standard and chuck some new PUPs in that bad boy.

If you had read any of this you'd know the standerd is better for him. buying the blacktop and chucking new new pups would cost alot...