I've been doing the music for a pretty long time. And made heaps of mistakes in the process because I just had figure stuff out on my own. So I thought it would be awesome to help other people who might be where I was.

I'm not claiming I know everything. I'm just trying help out because helping you guys learn something, makes me better in process. (I'm currently finishing my music production degree, written music that be used for art pieces and I want to teach music at university eventually).

So...

What sort of stuff would you like to know about?
Pre-production for bands?
Low fi recording?
Effect processing? How to use them? How do they work?
Mixing stuff?
Arranging?
Getting started?
Fixing shit?

These are pretty broad topics. So a little bit feedback and I can write a little more in depth answers. Could do some videos as well.

Cheers
Make a thread on how to properly compress your mixes, nobody has covered that in great detail on here yet. I'd make a separate thread on it though. I'd do it, but I'm not so great with anything but the Classic Compressor VST I use in Reaper.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Make a thread on how to properly compress your mixes, nobody has covered that in great detail on here yet. I'd make a separate thread on it though. I'd do it, but I'm not so great with anything but the Classic Compressor VST I use in Reaper.

OZONELOUDNESSMAXIMIZER
On vocals in metal songs, what effects would you go about using on them and why?

I have a basic understanding on what to use but I'd like to really understand what i'm looking for and why i'm doing it.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Wut?

1. Brickwall the shit out of everything
2. ??????
3. Compression victory!
Quote by Odirunn
1. Brickwall the shit out of everything
2. ??????
3. Compression victory!

Uhhhhh, no.

I mean the proper way to do it, so you maintain clarity of EVERYTHING, and not just one massive heap of sound. Anyone can compress the living crap out of something, it takes skill to make it so each instrument has punch and clarity.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Uhhhhh, no.

I mean the proper way to do it, so you maintain clarity of EVERYTHING, and not just one massive heap of sound. Anyone can compress the living crap out of something, it takes skill to make it so each instrument has punch and clarity.

That's just it. It takes skill.

Anyone can know learn to operate a compressor, but it takes some trained ears and lots of experience to really get it down so everything doesn't sound squished.
If your going to mention Ozone don't forget to over polish the highs so its so shiny it hurts.

or

Don't do anything and have your kick drum, bass guitar, and palm mutes sound like one huge sound that rumbles.
Last edited by FireHawk at Oct 6, 2011,
Compressors are all about the attack and release curves. If it's breathing, you're doing it wrong. Compression should be something that isn't noticeable.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Bump.

I'll try and get on flex time sometime in the next week or so. There also will be a side-chain compression tut from one of the other guys soon.

Some more suggestions.