Hello!

I am new to tube amps, and Ephiphone Vavle Jr. has been giving me some trouble.

whenever I attack more with the pick, the sound starts to break up, like static-y. I am using my friends Fender Tele, and its really bothering me that it isnt as clean as it usually is.... any help on why its breaking up so early at low volume would be great! (Not even to 8 o'clock on the volume knob)

Thanks!
Hell Yea Im Straight Edge!
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
Quote by therosa69
whenever I attack more with the pick, the sound starts to break up, like static-y.

no head room in those amps. more attack is more volume is more signal driving in preamp.

roll back the volume knob on the guitar a little bit (not too much to kill all the highs but enough to clean it up a bit).

Quote by therosa69
I am using my friends Fender Tele, and its really bothering me that it isnt as clean as it usually is....

not sure what this means. did is sound cleaner before a certain event or time period or did you have a solid state amp and it was very clean sounding? kinda confused

Quote by therosa69
any help on why its breaking up so early at low volume would be great! (Not even to 8 o'clock on the volume knob)

running 8 on the amp is just about running a VJ wide open, it should sound pretty distorted around then. you should run outta clean headroom around 3 or 4 with a VJ.

i'd run the VJ around 5 or 6 and roll the volume on the guitar back just a bit to get a rough clean tone.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
The less watts you have, the earlier you get breakup.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X