I recently tried an old Marshall Plexi 50W through a Peavey 4x10 using a German Warwick Corvette and I could not believe how perfect my tone was! It was the perfect mixture of grunginess and warmth. The bass was tight and the whole sound sat right under my guitarists' distortion and still cut through the mix.

Sadly, it's not my Warwick and my cab but I'm debating selling my bass amp in favor of a bass cab. I'm thinking it has to be Neos so the lighter drivers can deliver more response but I'm unsure on brand and type(4x10, 4x12...). Mesa's and GK's 4x12 seem to be worth trying. What do you guys think?

The other option is bi-amping so I can keep the lows on a bass amp but get the mids and highs and a bit of distortion from the Marshall and the guitar speakers.
My Rig:

-Peavey T-40
-Fender Bassman 250/210
-Boss Bass Overdrive ODB-3

"Rock and Roll is the only religion that will never let you down!" - Lemmy Kilmister
Bi-amping is the way to go!
Try out all of your options before you decide, you may never know until you hear it.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Look for a Peavey TVX 4x12. I know Peavey has a reputation for being durable, but not GREAT tone-wise... honestly, the only 4x12 that i've liked MORE than the TVX is the un****withable Bergantino NV412. If you must go with the GK or Mesa, i'd opt for Mesa... i love GK heads, but their cabs never impressed me much unless they were paired with GK heads. Mesa cabs, though, are always a safe bet. If you do the bi-amping though, then the GK might be a better choice... i'd suggest trying them out.

I'm a bit worried that you'd put so much faith into a guitar head... it's completely do-able... but you're gonna need to lug around quite a bit of speaker to keep up with everything.

I'm a fan of lower wattage tube heads... but i tend to be fairly picky about them... and in the 50w range, the only one i've come across (and this is from experience playing bass through Marshall, Peavey, Mesa, Matamp and Orange guitar heads) that i would play bass through on a regular bassis, is a 70's Ampeg B25-b. Why? It's built for bass. You still get that low-wattage-tuby overdrive, but with a head designed for bass, and capable of delivering the lows that make a bass what it is.

Good luck! It CAN be done. It just takes some finesse!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I saw recently before I had money a Peavey roadmaster, it was like a 150 tube head, at like $200. all of sonic youth used them at one time I think
Quote by askrere
I saw recently before I had money a Peavey roadmaster, it was like a 150 tube head, at like $200. all of sonic youth used them at one time I think

Oh man... a Roadmaster for $200!? That's awesome! One of those is definetly on my "some day..." list.

My first tube head was a Peavey VTM120! It was too "metaly" for me, so i traded for an Ampeg V4-b.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I have bi-amped my bass amp (GK MB200) and my guitar amp (Peavey classic 30) and used my esquire through both, and had a boss OC-3 octave on the bass amp so I have both sounds when playing with just a drummer.

Currently bass wise I recently got a Peavey Mark IV bass head, granted it's no Marshall plexi, it does from what I have played and heard (mines broken at this time) have a good Lo-Fi tone, and I have that connected to my crate TDP tube preamp, then I also have my GK MB200 which I'd say is pretty much the definition of clean and Hi-Fi. So with my MB on a stack of 2 8 ohm 1x15's bi-amped to my mark sitting on a 4 ohm 1x15, through a (another in progress) P bass that has two P pickups that can be split to separate amplifiers and each have independent volume and tone.

I have to say though, Bass tube amps are expensive, but they are like Dins traynor around 300 watts+, guitar amps tend to ride 20-30-40-50-60-100-120 watts. With lots of cabs and maybe an EQ module of some sort, you could have a great tone, but you might have to mic at gigs, and to stand out at practice or to hear yourself well unmiced you'll have to crank it pretty hard, which means it will not be clean at practice levels, and will eat power tubes. So you might look into a rack unit tube preamp, power amp (solid or tube) etc used, and maybe a sansamp driver, you'd get a great tone if you look around that might be easier to work with.

Edit: and always explore used. I bought the GK head new for $250, everything else was bought used and cost less than $80, most under $50. Granted I went with 1x15's because I am used to them, and the are consistently cheaper on the used market. One of my 1x15's was free with a black widow actually.
Last edited by askrere at Oct 6, 2011,