Page 1 of 3
okay first i dont live near any stores so i want to get a list of suggestions before driving out just to try stuff i dont know about..so no comments saying "go to a store yourself" or " go with what you like and not others"....i want your opinion on some i can try out...or if you have the exact same music choice than feel free about giving me suggestions on one to buy...what i aim for in an amp is to get the tones of old bmth, we came as romans, the word alive, chelsea grin maybe...i know they are all somewhat different genres but i want something that can do it all....i was looking at the 6505 combo for 600...but i want to know if there is any other tube amp out there that is just as good for less...i really could care less about the cleans...i could always get a clean boost or an equalizer...sooo pleasee help...oh and my guitar is 2 ibanez rg's with stock v7 v8(going to switch out but first new amp) i currently have a fender frontman 25r and it sucks for metal...so post away please!!!!!!!!!
Quote by cheseagrinwh0re
okay first i dont live near any stores so i want to get a list of suggestions before driving out just to try stuff i dont know about..so no comments saying "go to a store yourself" or " go with what you like and not others"....i want your opinion on some i can try out...or if you have the exact same music choice than feel free about giving me suggestions on one to buy...what i aim for in an amp is to get the tones of old bmth, we came as romans, the word alive, chelsea grin maybe...i know they are all somewhat different genres but i want something that can do it all....i was looking at the 6505 combo for 600...but i want to know if there is any other tube amp out there that is just as good for less...i really could care less about the cleans...i could always get a clean boost or an equalizer...sooo pleasee help...oh and my guitar is 2 ibanez rg's with stock v7 v8(going to switch out but first new amp) i currently have a fender frontman 25r and it sucks for metal...so post away please!!!!!!!!!

Used Mesa 2 Ch. Dual recs can be had for $800.

Mesa Single recs go used for $600-700 all the time.

Mesa rectoverb they go cheap sometimes(I just sold mine for $750)

Used peavey 5150/6505 2x12 (better than the 1x12 imo) and you can find them for under $600 pretty easily. I dont like the 1x12s at all

Or a used peavey 5150/6505 head

Used Krank rev

Used peavey jsx or xxx

Used peavey ultra
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Oct 5, 2011,
look at bugera stuff in particular the 6262 and the 333xl, alot cheaper than anything mentioned, and thier basically peaveys with a different name, in fact i think the company had a a lawsuit because they were so similar. basically a bugera 6262=a peavey 6505 and a bugera 333xl= a peavey xxx or a jsx im not quite sure which it is but mine gives me a brutal tone and i love it. they come in all shapes and sizes (combos and heads) take a look at thier website hit up ebay find the best price.
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
For what you want, a 6505+ combo may be the best choice. As much as I dislike them, they'll do what you want.

@slipknot_420 a Mesa won't give TS the tonality he wants - that sound is very much a 6505 sound.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
For what you want, a 6505+ combo may be the best choice. As much as I dislike them, they'll do what you want.

@slipknot_420 a Mesa won't give TS the tonality he wants - that sound is very much a 6505 sound.

bmth use dual recs

A recto would handle all his tones and more.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by cheseagrinwh0re
i was looking at the 6505 combo for 600...but i want to know if there is any other tube amp out there that is just as good for less...

not really

not new anyway

outside of maybe the Vypyr 60

Used Peavey Ultra might work

I also see a B52 AT100 head on the Champaign-Urbana craigslist. You would still need a cab but that should not be a problem. Something else to consider anyway.
Quote by slipknot_420
bmth use dual recs

A recto would handle all his tones and more.

yeah now they do thats why i said OLD bmth...count your blessings and tiwteoyswmf albums...i dont think a single or double rec will handle my tastes...maybe the triple but i cant afford a 2000 amp..lol
As much as I hate to become one of the sheep that recommend it, a 6505 would most certainly do the job for you.
Quote by AsOneIStand
Blackstar HT-Club 40

you have to use pedals with that just to get a decent tone so thats out
Quote by telemetal
As much as I hate to become one of the sheep that recommend it, a 6505 would most certainly do the job for you.

i was really thinking about it...but it takes a pedal to clean up and ive heard you need an equalizer just to get a good tone...i have the noise gate but i dont have the cash for a equalizer
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
not really

not new anyway

outside of maybe the Vypyr 60

Used Peavey Ultra might work

I also see a B52 AT100 head on the Champaign-Urbana craigslist. You would still need a cab but that should not be a problem. Something else to consider anyway.

i dont live there anymore i live in paducah kentucky.....and i got offered that same amp for about 300 i think it was...but could it achieve what i want and more?
I personally liked the 6505 just by itself. The cleans were a little lackluster as you say, but perfectly usable. I didn't really feel that it needed an EQ to sort it out though, maybe a boost in the front if you wanted, but it wouldn't be essential.
Quote by OurRequiem
look at bugera stuff in particular the 6262 and the 333xl, alot cheaper than anything mentioned, and thier basically peaveys with a different name, in fact i think the company had a a lawsuit because they were so similar. basically a bugera 6262=a peavey 6505 and a bugera 333xl= a peavey xxx or a jsx im not quite sure which it is but mine gives me a brutal tone and i love it. they come in all shapes and sizes (combos and heads) take a look at thier website hit up ebay find the best price.

i have i wanted the bugera 6262 head for the longest time but i cant find any of them used...and i dont know if im comfortable paying 600 dollars and the tubes blowing...i know they say they are fixed but ive heard stuff still...if you have one or you know one that want to sell than i would be stoked...and i seen you like chelsea grin...cheers!!!!
Are you planning on gigging/jamming? If not, the cleans at living room volumes are fine on the 6505. Add in a little bit of chorus and they aren't bad at all. And for those volume levels, pretty much every high gain tube amp is massive overkill. That's not necessarily a bad thing tho I'm actually thinking about selling my 6505 212 and some pedals and going with a Vypyr tube. I never gig and haven't jammed in many years. Figure someone else could put the beast (6505) to better use!

but i want to know if there is any other tube amp out there that is just as good for less...i really could care less about the cleans...i could always get a clean boost or an equalizer.

I'm not sure you understand what a clean boost is
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
A clean boost doesn't make your cleans sound better...
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Quote by cheseagrinwh0re
yeah now they do thats why i said OLD bmth...count your blessings and tiwteoyswmf albums...i dont think a single or double rec will handle my tastes...maybe the triple but i cant afford a 2000 amp..lol

There would be no difference between a dual rec and triple rec other than headroom lol.
You can buy used triples for the same as duals also, and like I said they would handle the tones you want and some but anyways.

Just go for a 5150/6505 used easy as that seriously youve allready basically decided on that anyway. They sell under your budget on the internet daily.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
check out the Vypyr 60 dude - I think you'll like it.

Read the manual before playing it so you get a handle on how to operate it. Turn off the effects and rock out to the different amp models. XXX, JSX, 6505, Dual Rec, Krank, Diezel, Twin, etc
Quote by cheseagrinwh0re
i have i wanted the bugera 6262 head for the longest time but i cant find any of them used...and i dont know if im comfortable paying 600 dollars and the tubes blowing...i know they say they are fixed but ive heard stuff still...if you have one or you know one that want to sell than i would be stoked...and i seen you like chelsea grin...cheers!!!!

I wouldn't buy a Bugera used. The old Bugeras had some issues which have since been fixed, but if you buy a used one, you might be getting one of the old ones still effected by those issues. The only way to make sure you're getting one where the issues have been fixed is to buy a new one.
Quote by cheseagrinwh0re

yeah i love chelsea grin i actually got to chill with them on thier bus smoke some weed and get wasted for a couple hours before they had to do a signing and i got kicked off the bus lol. thier cool and alex can drink like a fish. anyway, yeah those 6262s are hard to find but why are your worried about the tubes "blowing", tubes will always wear out with use thier life expectentcy is around a year. , i think your thinking about the fuses where they are prone to fires? lol yeah thats fixed i have a bugera and i play chelsea grin, within the ruins styled stuff and it does great for it, and its never started on fire after 2 years of ownage. could it be better? sure, but i got my head for a steal on ebay for 330, and like you i dont have tons of dough to toss around on gear, sure wish i did, id have a engl and a mesa cab amoungst other things

dont limit yourself to just a 6505, on top of not limiting yourself to them if you get a combo you probally wont like it, they dont sound as good as thier big brothers. and you'd have to change the speaker to get it to sound good, thats what i know and what others have said.

but i mean i use a 333xl for gigging, band practice, hell and just practicing alone. i love it, i strongly reccommend you look into one, like i said hit up ebay the craigslist guitar center (sometimes they get good used shit) you'll be happy with one.

edit: as long as the year on the amp is 05 and up your fine. thats the year they fixed the problems
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Last edited by OurRequiem at Oct 6, 2011,
^ interesting story on Chelsea Grin

And you are partially correct on the Bugera's. Let me shed some light on that. Personally, I would be somewhat cautious of buying an older 333x that didn't have the upgrades but I honestly think a lot of the Bugera crap is overblown. First of all, it was with the 333x series. The clip they used to connect the Power Transformer to the circuit board was made out of plastic, instead of soldered with metal, and it caused things to catch on fire. I think.

That is long past now. Anyone who had an older one already ran into it and got it fixed/replaced and the newer ones don't have that problem. This has been some time now. There was also a heat shrink issue with the V55s but that is also long since been corrected. Every now and then we get a new thread about someone with a blown up Bugera of varying models but that can happen with cheaper amps (and even expensive ones).

The issue that I still see with Bugera is that they do not do a good enough job with matching power tubes and biasing the amps appropriately so 'some' amps are coming out of the gate waiting to fail. Biasing the amp properly and possibly getting new/different tubes could fix a lot of those uncertainties. But yeah.

Just my .311 cents.

Edit: Here, I found the blog that describes the 333 clip problem in more detail. He also has a blog on how to bias these amps.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/BeerChurch/blog/58789//
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 6, 2011,
Bugeras may sound fucking amazing but they look like movie props made to look like guitar amps just by how cheaply made they are. My older Fender Stage 100 (older version of FM) is constructed better than the Bugeras. I advise staying away from them.

If you choose to go 6505, either go with the 212 combo or head with decent cab. If you really can't afford those, the 112 combo would work, but it pales in comparison to the higher end ones, and it's Chinese made.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The issue that I still see with Bugera is that they do not do a good enough job with matching power tubes and biasing the amps appropriately so 'some' amps are coming out of the gate waiting to fail. Biasing the amp properly and possibly getting new/different tubes could fix a lot of those uncertainties. But yeah.

Aren't the newer Bugeras supposed to bias themselves automatically? I remember at a recent NAMM show them talking about something like this and showing some sort of automatic biasing feature built into their newer amps, beginning with the Magician.
Tube amp on Budget? Does not compute.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Quote by cheseagrinwh0re

That's subjective, my friend. I personally love mine without any pedals.
Quote by OurRequiem
yeah i love chelsea grin i actually got to chill with them on thier bus smoke some weed and get wasted for a couple hours before they had to do a signing and i got kicked off the bus lol. thier cool and alex can drink like a fish. anyway, yeah those 6262s are hard to find but why are your worried about the tubes "blowing", tubes will always wear out with use thier life expectentcy is around a year. , i think your thinking about the fuses where they are prone to fires? lol yeah thats fixed i have a bugera and i play chelsea grin, within the ruins styled stuff and it does great for it, and its never started on fire after 2 years of ownage. could it be better? sure, but i got my head for a steal on ebay for 330, and like you i dont have tons of dough to toss around on gear, sure wish i did, id have a engl and a mesa cab amoungst other things

dont limit yourself to just a 6505, on top of not limiting yourself to them if you get a combo you probally wont like it, they dont sound as good as thier big brothers. and you'd have to change the speaker to get it to sound good, thats what i know and what others have said.

but i mean i use a 333xl for gigging, band practice, hell and just practicing alone. i love it, i strongly reccommend you look into one, like i said hit up ebay the craigslist guitar center (sometimes they get good used shit) you'll be happy with one.

edit: as long as the year on the amp is 05 and up your fine. thats the year they fixed the problems

you are so lucky man....i would give anything to hang with them...and god alex is my idol...lol...soo the 33xl will achieve what i want? how much are they used or new?
Quote by AsOneIStand
That's subjective, my friend. I personally love mine without any pedals.

but for the metal i play?
Quote by verbalrelease
Aren't the newer Bugeras supposed to bias themselves automatically? I remember at a recent NAMM show them talking about something like this and showing some sort of automatic biasing feature built into their newer amps, beginning with the Magician.

I believe that is part of their new Infinium technology whatever that means - didn't really study it. For the record, the Magician and TriRec are going on 2 years now since they were first advertised. There is more info on those in the Bugera Users Militia Thread.
Quote by cheseagrinwh0re
not helpful so why post?

Basically just saying that it's hard to get a good tube amp on a budget, lol.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Quote by LZRocker
Basically just saying that it's hard to get a good tube amp on a budget, lol.

yeah but i can do it i just need help
hey dude, i know all the bands you mentioned, with maybe exception of the word alive, use the 6505 head unboosted, no eq, or they did at one time at least. also, to the guy who got to chill with chelsea, agreed on the chillness. i went to a one of their shows when they were still nobody, before desolation came out and when people had just heard of lifeless and crewcabanger. guys were all cool, were in the pit alot, really friendly.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
hey dude, i know all the bands you mentioned, with maybe exception of the word alive, use the 6505 head unboosted, no eq, or they did at one time at least. also, to the guy who got to chill with chelsea, agreed on the chillness. i went to a one of their shows when they were still nobody, before desolation came out and when people had just heard of lifeless and crewcabanger. guys were all cool, were in the pit alot, really friendly.

you guys are so lucky about getting to hang with them....but i dont have the money for the head man...thats why im asking opinions on it....the head goes for 800 used on ebay...and no cheaper ...everyone is talking about them going for 600 and 700 but i can never catch one...if anyone has a bugera 333xl or bugera 6262 or possible a peavey 6505 that you want to sell pretty cheap....HIT ME UP!!!!!!!!!!! i have a fender frontman it will be put to great use...and yes i gig
The 6505 is a great amp, but unless you plan to use it primarily for gigging I would advise against it, as it is simply too loud, and by the time you manage to get the post gain up enough to open up the tone you've got screaming neighbours at your door...

While I have the head version and you are only looking at the combo, I am pretty sure that there isn't much volume difference so I would advise caution, if you want to use it for practise then the sound is just fizzy and you will only be disappointed
Gear
Ltd Mp-600
Cort X-6 SM
Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange ppc212 cab
Digitech GSP1101
Dunlop 535q Crybaby

I have soundcloud!

I also have a DSP

-insert humorous quote from some other forum user here-
Quote by cheseagrinwh0re

That would be true of the HT 20, but I'm not so sure about the HT 40.

When I purchased my 6505+ combo about 6 months ago, I was also looking at the HT 40, but ultimately had to go with the Peavey for the money, and the broot channel was a little more what I was looking for.

But the Ht 40 and all the Blackstars above that one have a button on the lead channel that gives you a pretty big gain boost - certainly above 'thrash' levels, though probably not as high-gain as the 6505.

Plus, almost everybody runs a tubescreamer into their high gain amps anyway, and not necessarily for more gain.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I have a used peavey 5150 and Ive been using it live and in the studio.. its cheap and its built for metal
cleans are quite :/ though.. but if you're after that brutal metal tone this one can deliver..

if you cant find a 5150, the 6505 is the same
I would also recommend the 6505+ head or 2x12 combo

most of the peaveys are quite cheaper compared to other brands check them out.
Page 1 of 3