Hi, I recently installed a set of GuitarHeads Actives into my Ibanez RG321MH. They sound great distorted both neck and bridge, but seem incapable of clean tones. If the volume is up on my guitar, they distort pretty badly (the neck moreso than the bridge). The only way to get a true clean tone is by putting the volume on the guitar extremely low, which is something I don't want to do.

Any advice on dealing with this problem is much-appreciated.
Maybe they're just not made for cleans. I suggest messing with your amp settings. If all else fails maybe buy a BBE Sonic Stomp.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
whats the problem with turning the volume low?

wait try chanign th ebatteries on the active pick ups and see if they dont distort so much

but thats usually a problem with active pick upsthat they drive the amp hard unless you lower the volume
Those are very cheap actives, I'm not a fan of actives at all, but cheap ones are a no-no.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I know they can be played clean, as evidenced by this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMUde9QTSq8

And some other videos I've seen that I don't remember the links to. I'm not overly familiar with active pickups, however I read somewhere a certain part, I think maybe it's the tone knob, has to be replaced in order for them to work properly. Maybe someone else has more information on this.
Hi, They play clean.Did you change the pots and capacitor.If you still have a problem contact GuitarHeads.
From YouTube:

There are no pots that come with this pickup set. You will have to replace all your pots with 25K Ohm pots if you want high end in your tone. If used with 250K or higher rated pots, the tone will be dark and turning the tone knob won't make a difference. I highly suggest buying different pickup rings as the stock ones are low quality. Make sure you know what kind of jack you guitar uses, the one included might not fit your guitar and it has to be a stereo jack or the pickups will not work.

So you do have to change around some extra parts to get them to work properly.