Pick a note, mute the strings above with your fretting finger by lightly touching it, and using your index to mute everything below.

Do you have to get used to this? Do you people use this? In distortion.

It's really difficult when trying to pick many different notes..
You don't have to mute them if they're not making any noise. So you only need to do it when you've played a note on a certain string then you want to stop it ringing. You don't need to mute all the strings all the time because they shouldn't be vibrating in the first place.
Yep, you should never have any open strings un-muted when having distortion on. You'll get feedback and all kinds of bad things.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by luxeion
.. is this something i nid to get used to early already??..

yeah man, also use your palm for muting the bass strings when you're playing the high ones, if you do it enough it'll become natural and you won't have to think about it
Quote by Freepower
Yes. For like the 5th time.

Lool thank you 5x! Sorry for asking again it just feelss sooo haard i cant imagine gettin used to it.. :|
Takes like, 3 months and then after that you will be superclean for life. I can't tell you how awesome it is.

It's also super useful for funk, punk, metal rhythm... muting is one of the most basic and important skills.
Hey there Freepower, i've watched your vid on muting technique, (thanks for that btw, great for those of us who don't know what they're doing when it comes to muting.) and i was wondering if you had any tips to do with picking hand muting and how exactly it should be done. I assume its letting your thumb lightly touch the lower strings you aren't playing? As its still a bit of a mystery to me.
Yeah, I'm sometimes using the side of my thumb, and sometimes I'm using the meat of the base of the thumb, and sometimes the base of the hand. To be honest, unless you hold the pick in a really odd way, you should be able to comfortably put part of your hand on the strings to mute. You need pretty much no pressure, just contact.
If you're getting unwanted noise from playing with distortion - then practice muting unwanted strings.

Commonly you'll want to mute some strings on chords, easy lead bits, and where a style dictates a clean "pop" on each note.

The level of distortion will dictate how much feedback and background noise you'll get, as well as how hot your pickups are.
At the end of the day, you're not going to mute ALL other notes whilst playing a fast solo are you? Not saying its not doable, its perfectly doable but its unpractical unless the solo only ever goes immediately up or immediately down a string.
But its a good idea to mute strings immediately above and below what you play anyway.

But saying MUTE EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME is just a really stupid statement, unless its absolutely neccessary to do it. Which isnt often...
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Last edited by W4T3V3R at Oct 9, 2011,
At the end of the day, you're not going to mute ALL other notes whilst playing a fast solo are you? Not saying its not doable, its perfectly doable but its unpractical unless the solo only ever goes immediately up or immediately down a string.

It's perfectly possible. I demonstrate this for my students all the time - you can blaze all over the fretboard and bend notes with absolutely no string noise. And you can only really do that if you do mute all the other strings...

Not that that is actually particularly hard. Your right hand does everything lower, left hand does immediately lower and everything higher. Sorted.

But saying MUTE EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME is just a really stupid statement, unless its absolutely neccessary to do it. Which isnt often...

It's necessary if you play metal or want to "shred", as much as I hate that term.

You seriously notice the difference as well, at least I do.
Quote by Gont
Hey there Freepower, i've watched your vid on muting technique, (thanks for that btw, great for those of us who don't know what they're doing when it comes to muting.) and i was wondering if you had any tips to do with picking hand muting and how exactly it should be done. I assume its letting your thumb lightly touch the lower strings you aren't playing? As its still a bit of a mystery to me.

Hhaaha I just noticed his signature now.. Heey I recognize d guy from another posture video I saw d oder day.. imma go chek out the muting one now. Thx too freepower
Try to play something on the 3 solo strings while not muting the 3 other bass. Do that for 10 minutes non stop and with distortion at lvl10. The horror will burn into your brain the need to mute and your hand will magically magnetize into guitar bridges(even the ones who are no connected to your guitar!) just to stop that terrible, terrible noise.

And dont think that lonely unmuted D string isnt making noise. Ohh it does, and if you plan on making progress with your guitar(which is made everytime you play it) you will develop your hearing, and suddenly that unmuted D noise will creep into your ears sooner or later.
Last edited by Standarduser at Oct 10, 2011,
do you guys "big" strum or "focus" strum . when i played green day earlier in my years .. i used to almost sturm with the whole arm and plucked all the string to make a powerchord ... when i got into thrahs metal .. metallica / megadeth ect .. i realize this strumming technique is no longer necessary ..

if they play for example

G-- 5
D -- 5
A-- 3
E-- X

i will not usually use a "whole" strum for that but "focus" ,.. the riff are so fast and you picking hand need to be ready for the next palmuted note right after . so IMO .. the best way is to strum only the strings your need . .. after getting at that .. you realize that those big strum are sometimes unecessary except if you need to give a feel or sound .. but usually a more "focus " strum work better and sound pretty similar . might not look as cool for punk .. but IMO its economy of movement which is better in the long run .

IMo in "focus" strum .. you already know where you hand is close to what string .. so if you need to play

555 3-5-4-6-7-

for example .... you already know your on the right strings . if you "whole" strum till your picking hand almost touch the volume knob ..you need to bring back that hand at the "right place/ right string " .. so its easier to make a mistake if the riff is fast .

bottom line : you dont need to strum the 6 strings for a powerchord .. but you still need to mute the lower string to make sure it wont ring .

so no more green day , blink 182 strumming for me .. economy of movement .. and overall work better .

your sure to make less mistake and faster comeback .. swtiching between palmuting and regular strumming also become easier .. your always in control of your picking hand . when you big strum with your forearm instead of wrist .. you lose a bit of that control . IMO .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Oct 10, 2011,
^ they sound different. Sometimes the correct thing is a really focused attack (eg, Metallica), sometimes you want the muted strings in there (eg, Red Hot Chilli Peppers - "Can't Stop").