Have been playing for over a year but I'm still not familiar with the function of different gears, so I wud like to learn more in here...some of them may be discussed in other threads..

1) what's a whammy bar actually? I read from somewhere saying it helps to do vibrato so does it mean I don't need it if I hv a FR on my guitar?

2) r there lots of differences between a tube amp and a ss amp? I'm currently usin a line6 spider 4 (yeh I know many of u hate it), i wanna know how much do a good tube amp usually cost if I usually play metal/metalcore, and a lil RHCP

3) what's a pedalboard? Is it just a board tat connect all ur pedals tgt?

I guess tats all Cheers!
If you have a fr you can use that as a whammy bar.

Someone with tube amp experience can answer #2

Yeah, a pedalboard is what you Attach your pedals to so they stay in one place and are easier to carry around.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
1) If you've got a Floyd Rose on your guitar, it should have a bar that is mounted in it. That's the 'whammy bar'. Pulling up on it or depressing it will changed the pitch of the note you're playing

2) A good tube amp for Metal, as well of some RHCP is going to be a bit of an ask for cheap. A Peavey 6505 would do the Metal fantastically, but the RHCP not so much. An Egnater Renegade would possibly do both with some tweaking.

3) That's a pedalboard, a board you attach your effects pedals to.
1) A whammy bar is used to lower (or higher on some whammys) the pitch of what's playing quickly, somewhat like a bend. You could do vibrato on a whammy, but you'd just be lightly touching it, vibrato is still best done with your fingers.

2) For a lot of Metal, SS Amps are generally pretty well suited for it. Of course, tube amps generally sound better most of the time and can handle distortion well but it comes at a cost.

3) A pedalboard itself is just a board that you place pedals on. Overall, it's a board with many pedals that are connected together, some good pedalboards come with it's own powersource which makes it easier. The pedalboard itself doesn't connect the pedals though obviously...
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
At the very least a whammy bar will do vibrato. It can also dive-bomb or do many other tricks. If you have a Floyd Rose, you have a whammy bar (at least the bridge if you do not have the bar). Pedal board can mean different things. It may be just a collection of pedals laying on the floor or they could be in some kind of case. It at least refers to a handful of pedals a guitarist likes to use. A tube amp uses vacuum tubes to amplify a signal. Solid state uses transistors. A SS amp will be lighter and require less maintenance. Tubes need replaced occasionally, the amps are heavy because of the transformers needed and tubes can be damaged by transporting an amp. But tubes sound so much better. They have a warm quality and the sound has depth to it (I think even when distorted and driven to the max). There are about 9000 threads on here about selecting a tube amp. Read up!

Hope this helps!
Quote by WtrPlyr
^A pedalboard is not a couple of pedals lying on the floor. That's just a bunch of pedals on the floor.

Absolutely true though. Pedals actually have to be on something to be called a pedalboard.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Shoot the aliens.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Shoot the aliens.

Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by telemetal
1) If you've got a Floyd Rose on your guitar, it should have a bar that is mounted in it. That's the 'whammy bar'. Pulling up on it or depressing it will changed the pitch of the note you're playing

2) A good tube amp for Metal, as well of some RHCP is going to be a bit of an ask for cheap. A Peavey 6505 would do the Metal fantastically, but the RHCP not so much. An Egnater Renegade would possibly do both with some tweaking.

3) That's a pedalboard, a board you attach your effects pedals to.

some1 told me if i use the bar too much, it may damage the guitar and suggested me using the tremolo bridge. is that true?
Quote by SWilson
At the very least a whammy bar will do vibrato. It can also dive-bomb or do many other tricks. If you have a Floyd Rose, you have a whammy bar (at least the bridge if you do not have the bar). Pedal board can mean different things. It may be just a collection of pedals laying on the floor or they could be in some kind of case. It at least refers to a handful of pedals a guitarist likes to use. A tube amp uses vacuum tubes to amplify a signal. Solid state uses transistors. A SS amp will be lighter and require less maintenance. Tubes need replaced occasionally, the amps are heavy because of the transformers needed and tubes can be damaged by transporting an amp. But tubes sound so much better. They have a warm quality and the sound has depth to it (I think even when distorted and driven to the max). There are about 9000 threads on here about selecting a tube amp. Read up!

Hope this helps!

r the tubes expensive? and does a tube amp include 2 parts? sometimes i read ppl saying head/combo..
Quote by WtrPlyr

hmm..i mean u can do tremolo either using the tremolo arm or just by pressing the tiny fine tuning knobs (i dunno the name..) but would u damage the guitar if u do tremolo by pressing the knobs?
Quote by Bellion
hmm..i mean u can do tremolo either using the tremolo arm or just by pressing the tiny fine tuning knobs (i dunno the name..) but would u damage the guitar if u do tremolo by pressing the knobs?

They are called "fine-tuning-knobs" instead of "press-this-for-a-tremolo-effect" for a reason.
Use the bar, or at least don't press down directly on the fine-tuners, as it'll screw up your tuning.
Dude, you need to read the stickies. Every question you've asked, plus countless others that no doubt you'll ask soon enough, are answered there. Stop being so lazy and do some of your own research.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Dude, you need to read the stickies. Every question you've asked, plus countless others that no doubt you'll ask soon enough, are answered there. Stop being so lazy and do some of your own research.

yeh i did but some of the threads seem to be dead with very few ppl commenting and some of the stickies r just ppl chatting abt dif issues..
Quote by TheQuailman
They are called "fine-tuning-knobs" instead of "press-this-for-a-tremolo-effect" for a reason.
Use the bar, or at least don't press down directly on the fine-tuners, as it'll screw up your tuning.

thx for correctin
Note 1) Don't listen to whoever told you a load of sh*t about your bridge. He sounds a dumbass.
Note 2) Learn to type properly please. Reading your posts is an eyesore.

However, that giant bar is the 'whammy bar'. No, it will not damage your guitar unless you go crazy with it and it will also kill your tuning eventually. Floyd Roses tend to be better for tuning stability but it will still detune very slowly. Mine locks in tune for a month and a half at the least.

I myself have never used a tube amp. I'd recommend for metal to simply get a tube screamer, a delay if it isn't built in and a wah. That's all I would call absolutely necessary. Oh, and an EQ because 3 bands just isn't enough. Use the tube screamer with the amp distortion and you're good.
Quote by Bellion
yeh i did but some of the threads seem to be dead with very few ppl commenting and some of the stickies r just ppl chatting abt dif issues..

Well first off, thanks for looking at them initially. I apologize if I came off harsh but you're asking for a lot of info... Generally threads are made with specific topics. Go to the 'list of good threads and some banned ones' or whatever its called and that will list all the appropriate threads for each topic. You'll find infinitely more info in there than you can get by asking a bunch of general questions to the peanut gallery.

Stay out of 'those' threads. The one you speak of is a secret illuminati hang out. I wouldn't go in there if I were you.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Here's a pic of a guitar (actually several) with a tremolo (not a true FR though) and the bar you see coming off of it is the "whammy bar".

More pedalboard shots, different brand from previous photos is all....

Differences from a tube to a SS, almost everything about them really. The only common ground is they both use electricity and make noise, other than that, they are worlds apart. Most pros use tubes, but not all. And most SS are used by people for practice and ease of use. Many beginners or part time musicians use SS as well, but switch as they can afford tube types.