I have a cab with 2 speakers at 16ohm. I believe wired up in parallel so am running them at 2x8 with my head.

Can I just drop in 2 8ohm speakers and just put the speaker cable into the 2x4 socket of the head?

Thanks, Luke.
I think he is asking if the cab he has came with 16 ohm speakers can he swap them out for 8 ohm speakers. To be honest, I don't know the answer. Is the speaker the only thing in the cab that dictates the ohms?
Quote by Grawgos
I think he is asking if the cab he has came with 16 ohm speakers can he swap them out for 8 ohm speakers. To be honest, I don't know the answer. Is the speaker the only thing in the cab that dictates the ohms?

Yeah thats the question. Sorry if it was unclear
the 2x8 and 2x4 seems pretty confusing. could you clarify this?

Anyway,
two 16 ohm speakers in parallel will give you 8 ohm. so if you drop two 8 ohm speakers into the same cab, use the same wiring scheme, etc., it will be a 4 ohm load.

Not sure what amp you're using, but most have a switch. Just switch it to 4 ohm.
sorry...here it goes again...

I am currently running 2 16ohm speakers into the 2x8 socket of my amp.

I want to get the Eminence GB12s that only come in 8ohms each.

Can I just replace the stock speakers and drop in the 2 speakers at 8 ohms each and run the cab into the 2x4 socket of my amp and play as normal?

Thanks, hope this explains it better.
Last edited by moominman2 at Oct 6, 2011,
ok...i got it now. its the laney aor 50 right? looking at the manual, i see what you're saying. the vertical jacks for each 2x16, 2x8 are for stereo cabs (i.e. two jacks on the cab, using two cables to go to the two respective jacks on the back of the head).

since your cabinet has one jack, you would use the top jack for whatever load you're using, the manual shows a jack for 1x16 ohm, 1x8 ohm, and 1x4 ohm. If you go to the 8ohm speakers in parallel, use the jack labelled 1x4 instead of the 1x8 you should be using now with the 16ohm speakers in parallel.

Last edited by eyebanez333 at Oct 6, 2011,
Thanks mate!

So its ok just to drop the speakers in then and just use the 1x4 in the head yes?

Also, I have been using the 2x8 as said by others on this forum. Is that wrong then for 2 speakers both rated 16ohm each?

Thanks for going through this effort!

Luke
Yes, just wire them in parallel and it'll be a 4 Ohm load. How many threads do you intend to make? This has been explained to you before.
Quote by moominman2

Also, I have been using the 2x8 as said by others on this forum. Is that wrong then for 2 speakers both rated 16ohm each?

If the total impedance of your cab is 8 Ohms (which will be the case with two 16 Ohm speakers), you should plug it into an 8 Ohm output on the amp. The one that reads 1x8 or 2x16 is the right one.
Quote by TheQuailman
Yes, just wire them in parallel and it'll be a 4 Ohm load. How many threads do you intend to make? This has been explained to you before.

I didn't see that explained as it had no icon saying anyone had replied.

Calm your tits down its ultimate guitar.

Cheers for helping.
I think the question was more of can you take a cab loaded with 16 ohm speakers and replace them with 8 ohm speakers or do you have to stick with 16 ohm speakers. I have never seen this question addressed before and I was actually curious about it myself. I could be wrong about it being asked and answered before, I have just never seen it.
Quote by moominman2
and also, I was told to use the 2x8 for my current speakers (16ohm each) running at 2x8

So thats wrong?!

Yes. Your current speakers are wired for a total load of 8 Ohms, so you should plug them into the jack that says "1x8", or the one right under it, where it says "2x16" - it doesn't matter, both jacks are connected to the same tap on the output transformer (the 8 Ohm one).

The "2x8" and "1x4" jacks are connected to another tap, namely the 4 Ohm one (Remember: 2x8 in parallel equals 4). Plugging an 8 Ohm cab into a 4 Ohm jack won't kill your amp, but it's not ideal, either.

Your cab is just a normal 2x12" with the speakers wired together internally and with just one cable used to connect the cab with the head, right?
Ok cheers. I should start using the 1x8 then!

And yeah I believe thats all my cab is

EDIT: Also, is there a difference in the 8ohm eminence gb's opposed to the 16ohm ones?
Ok cheers.

Looking over what has been said to me about what socket I use...

"It depends on how they're wired. If the speakers are 16 ohms, they're probably wired in parallel so you should put the amp at 8 ohms.

If the speakers say 8 ohms on them, they could be wired series for 16 ohms, or parallel for 4 ohms.

Speakers wired in parallel halves the resistance, whereas speakers wired in series doubles it.

Sounds like you'd put them into 2x8."

Soooooooooooooooo....

This person believed I had 2 speakers at 8ohms each?

Is that why this was suggested?

And when they said I should put the amp at 8 ohms if my speakers are 16ohms each...they meant 1x8 in the back of my amp?
Quote by moominman2
Ok cheers.

Looking over what has been said to me about what socket I use...

"It depends on how they're wired. If the speakers are 16 ohms, they're probably wired in parallel so you should put the amp at 8 ohms.

If the speakers say 8 ohms on them, they could be wired series for 16 ohms, or parallel for 4 ohms.

Speakers wired in parallel halves the resistance, whereas speakers wired in series doubles it.

Sounds like you'd put them into 2x8."

Soooooooooooooooo....

This person believed I had 2 speakers at 8ohms each?

Is that why this was suggested?

And when they said I should put the amp at 8 ohms if my speakers are 16ohms each...they meant 1x8 in the back of my amp?

The guy believed you had two 16 Ohm speakers wired for 8 Ohms. Right so far.
He then thought you'd want to plug them into an 8 Ohm output. Also right.
Then he thought the 2x8 out would work for that - that's where he went wrong. See, that output is supposed to be used with TWO 8 Ohms cabs, giving you 4 Ohms total, since the jacks are wired in parallel inside the amp and then connected to the same tap on the output-transformer, the 4 Ohm tap.
What you want to use is a jack that actually connects you to the transformer's 8 Ohm-tap, that being the jacks that read 1x8 or 2x16.
Ok thanks for clearing that up. Just hope you know what you're talking about :P

Joking, I'm sure you do.

Cheers for the help.

And lastly, I'll order 2 8ohm speakers. So that means I want to connect the cab to either 1x4 or 2x8 yep?
You have an 8ohm and 4 ohm tap in your amp. But it allows you to run TWO DIFFERENT CABS in parralel which is why it provides the (2x) taps. They are for running 2 16ohm cabs or 2 8ohm cabs. If you don't have two cabs pluged in they run at the same ohms as the jack above them. The person suggested that because he is an idiot that doesn't know what he is doing and probably doesn't care if you **** up your amp. You have been running a 8ohm cab at 4ohms this whole time.

Edit: goddamn my slow typing.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Last edited by bluestratplayer at Oct 6, 2011,
Quote by moominman2
Thank you!

What would make someone wire it the other way?

2x8 Ohms in series would give you a 16 Ohm impedance. Some amps don't have a 4 Ohm tap, but a 16 Ohm one. I've written some more about that in your other thread.
Not likely. The amp was "expecting" a 4 Ohm load, but it got hooked up to 8. You'd have to have some really shitty luck for anything to break in that configuration. Other way around could've ended badly.
Ok cheers mate. Thank god for that

What do you think of the Eminence GB12s yourself? Do you think they will dramatically improve the sound above the celestion G12L-35s?

I'm also debating whether to buy a sound city Mk3 100w head if you have any experience with those? Just putting it out there :P
Oh man, Sound City. These are hard to find outside of the UK. I've only ever seen one, and it was a different model (some 120w one). For what it's worth, I saw it last saturday at a show and it sounded feckin' huge. If I found one in good condition at a price I could afford, I'd jump on it for sure. No idea how much they're actually worth though.

About the GB12s. So I don't own an AOR. I do, however, own a Laney GH50L, which is a pretty similar kind of thing. Now I don't have the schematics here right now so I can't go into detail, but they're both based off the Marshall JCM800, but have more gain on tap. From recordings I've heard of the AOR, I can say that it and my GH50L sound a lot alike.
I was in your situation, my 2x12" didn't sound too great with the head, kinda harsh and unpleasant, especially at low volumes. (My cab was loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s though).
I tried a couple of speakers in it and ended up buying a pair of GB12s, and they work so well with that amp. The rig works for anything rock from the late '60s onward. I wouldn't recommend it for a modern metal tone, but for the average rock guitarist, it's great. If my amp is anything to go by (and I assume it is in this case), you should get a nice tone out of your AOR with the GB12s. It's not just that they're nice speakers and the AOR is a nice amp, it's that they seem to complement each other very well.

Now I'm not sure, but I think the Marshall Valvestate amps came with G12L35s. I played one of those in a rehearsal space for a year or so and I didn't like it much. Hard to say if it was more the fault of the amp or of the speakers, but typically, it's both. So it's probably not the best speaker there is. A GB12 should be a pretty big improvement.

In case you buy new speakers, remember to break them in properly.
Thanks so much for that.

I've just bought a soundcity original from 1969 for £200 delivered! I thought I might as well as I can't lose money on it really for that price Can't wait to try them. Its the 100w one.

And thanks. I'm going to buy the speakers new as its hard to find any used. I'll look into breaking them in properly. I'm not too sure what I'm supposed to connect the speakers up to, but I'll research it Yeah I do love the AORs...I've got that full set of JJs coming so that should help improve the harshness.

Cheers again!

Luke
Quote by moominman2
I'm not too sure what I'm supposed to connect the speakers up to, but I'll research it.

Just play them really loud for an hour or so. That'll do most of it.
Thanks.

I just replaced the pre amp tubes and noticed a slight difference but the amp is still VERY bright. When I take the amp to a tech next week to bias and pop in the powertubes, will this tame it? Its earpiercingly bright.

The speakers too would help? I'm just not prepared to buy the speakers if after the service, no treble/ brightness goes away
I'm worried that its the amp...possibly filter caps maybe for the brightness.

The powertube sockets are loose and need tightening.

I'm not sure if its worth putting anymore money into it!

Am I chasing something I cannot achieve?
The speakers will make the biggest difference, unless there really is something screwed up in your amp's power-section that needs fixing. If something's wrong, it's still likely cheaper to have it fixed than to buy a new head. AORs are nice amps, provided they work. Filter caps might be an issue with such an old amp.

Getting new speakers isn't really "putting money in the amp", because no matter what amp you hook up to your cab, good speakers will be beneficial. Poor speakers make every amp sound poor. Also, if your amp sounds like it used to after servicing, that just means it was apparently alright to begin with and that your problems likely stem from your cab, so why would that stop you from trying new speakers? That doesn't make any sense.

What exactly is it you're chasing?