Can ye tell wut it is yit?

Blackstar HT-1.

I went to take my Bugera 333 into the shop, to get the speakers repaired (one of the voice coils fused, rendering the speaker usesless), and saw this going cheap. Since I have no other amp to use (having sold my VT15) I decided to snap this one up so I have something to practice with and also use at band if my 333 isn't fixed within the next few weeks.

An executive summary of features:

Volume and Gain are very interactive. Can get really nice cleans out of this surprisingly, low gain, and maxed volume give decent headroom. The overdrive "channel" is nice and saturated when the gain gets to about 1 o'clock, and it does the Porcupine Tree/Muse/Less Than Jake distortion I like to use very well.

The ISF isn't that great though. However, I've noticed that it has its most prominent effect when using the amp for a sort of classic crunch (OD off, Gain up, Volume up). Turning it towards "British" adds a bit of brightness, and rounds the bottom end off a bit. The "American" side tends to add a bit more bass, and takes away some chime. It's a very rudimentary tonestack, so I'm probably going to invest in a graphic EQ pedal for it.

This thing is quite loud for just 1 watt. I played it through a 212 speaker cab at the shop, and it sounded really full, and was impressively loud when being used for its distortion. Through its built in speaker, it loses some presence but still sounds pretty good for the size, and is still loud enough to cut it as a loud practice amp.

The direct/headphone out will be useful at band where we have access to the PA in the room we use, but lack mics to mic up all the amps. Haven't really used this feature yet though.

Overall, a decent practice amp. I'd recommend this to anyone after a nice saturated distortion at bedroom levels. It can also do cleans nicely if you set it up properly. The crunchy classic rock sound was a little bland for my tastes though, was quite muffled to my ears.

I'll leave you with Daisy, my Collie.

Hnad
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
You should just replace both the speakers. They are the suxor anyway and your tone will get better...
Take the knobs off the Blackstar then take it back

Those knobs are sweet, even though you could probably just buy them
looks alrigth... i gottta get me an amp..
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
btw if you wanted a cool back amp for band practice you probably could have got the jet city jc2112rc off ebay for 199.. that would be loud enough and a better impulse buy

but too late now
the ht1 does intrigue me a little bit. hybrid or not.
F O O T ! ! !! ! ! ! ! ! !

Hnad
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I dislike the JCA20 a lot. I tried to get into it but not for me. The HT1 is just for messing around with at home. I use my 333 exclusively for band and gigs.

I'd replace the speakers but they sound fine for me, and I can't justify spending money on something I can get for free (IE a free warranty repair instead of buying new speakers)
great amp i was looking at that one . happy new amp day .. impulse buying would have been a mg or spider .. but blackstar

** advice : Never use lightstick to play fetch with a dog .. if he chewed it , their eyes become weird
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
HNGD! I really love the blackstar lol, I was considering that or the AC4 and went with the Vox because the blackstar's cleans weren't all that.

BTW, my socks look the same as yours!!!!!!!!
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by gregs1020
F O O T ! ! !! ! ! ! ! ! !

Hand

Fixed. Now Greggy knows his body parts yayayayayayay! Everyone for Greg!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Dmaj7
Take the knobs off the Blackstar then take it back

Those knobs are sweet, even though you could probably just buy them

These??

http://www.samash.com/p/Fender_Telecaster%20Tone%20and%20Volume%20Knobs%20Chrome%20Set%20of%202_-49960403

Ive got those on my Tele and similar ones on my Schecter

Cool amp TS!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
still loving it?

just checking.
bad ass dogpedal.

i never understood what it is with blackstar though everyone on here says there not tube amps but there are advertised with as tube amps.
Quote by wolvenrick
bad ass dogpedal.

i never understood what it is with blackstar though everyone on here says there not tube amps but there are advertised with as tube amps.

it's because they have a lot of solid state components in the signal path - for some people that means the amp should be called a "hybrid" rather than "all tube", and really blackstars advertising is little more than hype.

the way i see it, if the marshall AVT, vox VR etc are allowed to be marketed as "hybrid" amps, then you should call the blackstar HTs hybrids too - because the solid state stuff in the HTs contributes more to their sound than the tubes on those marshall and vox amps contribute to their hybrid amps.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
It's doing well for itself so far. I like the cleans a fair bit actually. The crunch is lacking but I want to get a decent OD pedal later on anyway, and the actual lead channel is pretty nice, but again, I really want a graphic EQ to tweak it a bit since it's a little bit bassy. Sounds good with pedals on the clean too.
Quote by Dan_5893
It's doing well for itself so far. I like the cleans a fair bit actually. The crunch is lacking but I want to get a decent OD pedal later on anyway, and the actual lead channel is pretty nice, but again, I really want a graphic EQ to tweak it a bit since it's a little bit bassy. Sounds good with pedals on the clean too.

cool, i had the ht5 head for a while and my biggest complaint was the lack of bass. so it sounds like maybe this one is a bit better than the early ht5's.

Playing it now in fact. . . at 1am. Trying to justify my own purchasing but at least its valid this time I would actually recommend this as a first amp to someone who is looking only to play anything requiring more gain than modern rock, who also wants a nice clean channel and low volumes. This thing does punk/pop-punk fantastically, and some of the less br00tz metal well.