Like the Boogie Tri-Axis.

I'v never quite understand what these do and why they are used.

Do you need an amp to use one or can it go into a PA?

And what's the different between this and some thing like an Axe-FX?

You can probably tell that are are probably going to have to explain this in a pretty simple way to me.
Pre-amps amplify the signal level. A guitar or mic's output is extremely low, and a preamp raises the signal level to line level (+4dBu) so that it can be used by other pieces of equipment, such as mixers and PAs.
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox Valvetronix AD15VT w/ foot switch

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Big Muff Germanium 4
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH Small Stone (USA Ver 2)
  • EH LPB-1
  • PlusEBow
Quote by ns9977a
Pre-amps amplify the signal level. A guitar or mic's output is extremely low, and a preamp raises the signal level to line level (+4dBu) so that it can be used by other pieces of equipment, such as mixers and PAs.

Exactly this.
Such is posting in Soviet Russia
The axe FX IS a preamp. The difference with the likes of axefx and triaxis is obviously the triaxis is all tube also the axe fx has cab emulation so you could plug it into a PA system and it'd sound fine. Triaxis would sound like ass direct into a PA.

A typical tube head has both a preamp and a poweramp already there. With a triaxis/axefx/any other preamp you buy the power amp seperately. Its kinda like having a custom amp i suppose. The good thing with racks is often you can use midi to make patches which is good for people that like to use lots of settings on the fly.
Quote by DOHC
Exactly this.
No, it isn't. Yes, what the guy wrote is true. But not in the context of this thread. The OP is about a guitar preamp. Guitar preamps are about creating tone (clean and distortion). And yes you still need a power amp.

A PA is fine for a power amp if you have cabinet emulation. The preamp in question may have that, but I don't know. Going into an Axe-FX is similar. I know the Axe-FX is a full multifx with cab sim. Not sure what the Boogie has but I'm guessing it doesn't have FX and maybe no cab emulation.
Last edited by fly135 at Oct 6, 2011,
So I saw a video earlier showing James Hetfields like gear.

He has 4 Triaxis.

He uses trixes with his amps (Roland JC for cleand and a Diezel for heavy stuff). This means he is using the pre amp with an amp, so there for he must been using 2 preamps together?

Or does the triaxis replace the pre amp of the Diezel and JC when they are connected.
Quote by jkielq91
So I saw a video earlier showing James Hetfields like gear.

He has 4 Triaxis.

He uses trixes with his amps (Roland JC for cleand and a Diezel for heavy stuff). This means he is using the pre amp with an amp, so there for he must been using 2 preamps together?

Or does the triaxis replace the pre amp of the Diezel and JC when they are connected.

You can use a different preamp by going from the preamp into the amp's effects loop return I believe. So he's essentially just using that amp's poweramp.
An Axe Fx is a preamp, just like the Tri Axis. Anything that amplifies the sound to line level is a preamp.

The difference is, the Axe does a lot more than just amplify to line level. It virtually models your amp and effects. The Tri Axis only has its own pre amp sound- it still needs a poweramp and cab to complete the chain. Which the Axe digitally models.

In short, Axe is a line level amp + tone shaper + poweramp coloration creator _+ cabinet coloration shaper

The Triaxis only does the basic tone shaping. Power amp and cabinet still needed. So no you cant go straight to a PA.
It really depends what you're doing...

I'm thinking of getting a Mesa Studio Pre but that would be pretty much only used direct into my computer with impulse responses for recording.

A lot of preamps can be controlled by MIDI so if you have a bunch of rack gear you can get a foot controller to change between everything.

Multiple preamps is like having multiple amps... this is essentially what the Randall RM series does. They have a couple heads with preamp bays, and then a couple rack mount units with bays and they have a bunch of preamp modules you can buy for it.
There are a few of advantages.
1. You can use different preamps and switch between them.
2. You can just buy a new preamp and replace the one you already have without having to change the whole thing. A bit like how a head and cab is better than a combo because you don't have to buy new speakers, just the head. ie. you can just buy a preamp, not the whole amp.
3. Some amps have an effects loop that allows an insert point between the preamp and the power amp. With a preamp/power amp rig that insert point is an actual external physical connection. You know 100% that your insertion point is really between preamp and and power amp and not some pseudo insertion point that is injecting the signal god knows where.
4. Most standalone preamps have features that amps only dream of. The Triaxis is a fine example. It has MIDI switchable amp channels where every facet is editable and programmable as a patch.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i kinda look at them like this its like haveing multiple amps in one. the Tri Axis is like haveing all of mesa's amps in one. i have 2 ada preamps i love them not a tone i can't find with them and its all a push button away
Quote by jkielq91
Thanks guys.

So out of curiosity, what are the pros and cons of using a pre amp and power amp instead of an amp head?

Flexibility and versatility without compromise.
Flip side, rack systems (preamp, poweramp etc) tend to be expensive.

A basic Axe based system, on used prices, would be at least 2 grand for Axe, basic SS poweramp, MIDI controller.

A TriAxis plus Mesa 2:90 would be about the same, however youll still need to buy a midi system to control it.

A regular amp is much cheaper and more practical for a non gigging artist.
Quote by jkielq91
Thanks guys.

So out of curiosity, what are the pros and cons of using a pre amp and power amp instead of an amp head?

Depends really. Some high end heads have a lot of capabilities of a rack rig.. but its mainly in the versatility department from selecting your own preamps and poweramps.