Page 3 of 800
Quote by tubetime86
I'm curious to see how apple stock responds. Its a pretty sensitive stock even to small public announcements.

Well Samsung stock rose a good deal. People seem to be insinuating that Apple lost its creative edge with his death. Apple's main competitor for smartphones and tables (samsung) is benefiting.

I'm pretty sure Motorola is also getting a chuckle considering the lawsuits.

fun fact: Apple won a lawsuit banning Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablets in all of europe, except for the Netherlands.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by darkarbiter7
How much you selling it for?

Hey, Wes! Haven't seen ya for a bit!
I'm trying to get around $1750 for the head, but I'd throw in the 2X12 Mojave cab for $2100 total. Won't sell just the cab. It's pretty killer, loaded with G12H30s. Head & cab are mint condition.
New head is $2745, cab is $679.

I'm selling the Scorpion because I want to get a custom amp from Mike Soldano that I spoke to him about 2 weeks ago. I'm getting a 20W Astroverb 1X12 combo amp modded with an extra preamp stage & tweaked to emulate an SLO. Basically a 20W SLO sound with reverb, & covered in sky blue tolex. Perfect gig amp for me. Guitar, amp. No FX, just plug in & play.
2 grand is a lot for a little combo, though, but I think it'll be worth it.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Lol, they've been just another big tech company for a while. But maybe I've just never bought into the apple magic.

Also, is somewhere here from Scotland? Did I read that correctly? Send me all your whiskey, please. Scotch.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Posted this in the PBT last night.

Quote by mmolteratx
Hey, so who wants to be a beta tester for the fuzz I'm designing? Ben and Mike have already said they're interested. Basically, you'd pay shipping to you and you can keep it. Just give me feedback and I'll socket some stuff and send extra parts and hopefully y'all can do the mods I come up with based on that feedback and give me feedback on that and so on.

Requirements are that you play sludge/doom/stoner. If you gig with those genres, even better.

EDIT: Oh ya, PM or FB me if interested so I can keep track of how many I need to build.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Oct 6, 2011,
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Lol, they've been just another big tech company for a while. But maybe I've just never bought into the apple magic.

Also, is somewhere here from Scotland? Did I read that correctly? Send me all your whiskey, please. Scotch.

I've always loved their products. The price tag and the suing of competition to retain their monopoly on technological advances...not so much
WTLTL 2011
Quote by tubetime86
The idea of a graphic user interface, in the style that we all know and love now was genius...
That genius was Xerox PARC. Job's genius was taking it to the market.
Quote by riffhog
Hey, Wes! Haven't seen ya for a bit!
I'm trying to get around $1750 for the head, but I'd throw in the 2X12 Mojave cab for $2100 total. Won't sell just the cab. It's pretty killer, loaded with G12H30s. Head & cab are mint condition.
New head is $2745, cab is $679.

I'm selling the Scorpion because I want to get a custom amp from Mike Soldano that I spoke to him about 2 weeks ago. I'm getting a 20W Astroverb 1X12 combo amp modded with an extra preamp stage & tweaked to emulate an SLO. Basically a 20W SLO sound with reverb, & covered in sky blue tolex. Perfect gig amp for me. Guitar, amp. No FX, just plug in & play.
2 grand is a lot for a little combo, though, but I think it'll be worth it.

Yeah, it's been a while since i've been on. But I got out of guitar for a while, but now i'm back into it, and spending all my savings on it! Unfortunately, I don't really have that kind of scratch to buy it :P.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Wes, I want you to know, I'm still upset that I don't own the CBB.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Wes, I want you to know, I'm still upset that I don't own the CBB.

I know you're jelly.

I'm actually getting it modded a bit one of these days. I desire exact BFSR cleans, which the CBB doesn't have (It has more of a modern fender clean tone). So the guy who's modding it is confident that he can give it some BFSR mojo. Then I will be truly super happy with it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I have BFSR clean tones. Wanna swap amps?

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
What amp is it, again? I would hate to lose my purple monster.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by gregs1020
no you don't.

you have mod'd SFBMR tone.

You get the Klon?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Damnit, Greg.

As greg pointed out, I have an old, beat up silverface bandmaster reverb head that I modded.

Same circuit as a blackface SR.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
But yeah i'm pumped to get it modded. The tone of a BFSR, but all dressed up in purple and sparkles? Yes, please.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Who are you having mod it for you? CBB or someone else?

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
CBB is on hiatus, so not them. A fellow named Tim Swartz from Lansing. He's done good work for me in the past, and he's a cool guy. He's one of the big guys over at TDPRI.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by gregs1020
yesterday. i held it up to my ear, it's dead silent.

color is perfect, it should match my vette when i get it.

Ooh. I love burnt orange Corvettes. They're real popular in Austin among UT alums.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Oh, another option I have for the modding is that he can pop in some 6V6s in place of the 6L6s. That's a bit tempting, since I do play at lowish volumes.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Oh, another option I have for the modding is that he can pop in some 6V6s in place of the 6L6s. That's a bit tempting, since I do play at lowish volumes.

You shouldn't need anyone else to pop in 6V6s for you. When we were actually considering me taking that amp off your hands, here's what CBB told me: "The power tube sockets are wired to accept any octal tube such as 6V6, EL34, 6L6, 5881, KT66. The KT66 is my favorite in this amp."

Now, I'm not sure if this is plug and play, or if you'll need to bias, but it certainly sounds like you won't need to have the amp modified.

EDIT: Scratch that, it will need to be biased. But there is a different bias pot for each power tube, so the tubes don't even have to be matched.....

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Oh, I knew that I won't need to make any mods. Maybe I'll switch to 6V6s when the RCA 6l6s burn out. But it will probably need a bias, wouldn't you think?

Edit: Yeah, that's what I thought. Another idea i wanted to try was running a 6v6 along with an EL84 (using a THD Yellowjacket) in it. Drop wattage + two different power tube flavors? An interesting prospect.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Oct 6, 2011,
Check my edit. Yes, you'll need to bias.

If you're waiting on RCA 6L6s to burn out, you may be waiting a while.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Well the RCAs were already used when I got them so yeah, they probably still have a few years in them.

I really need to learn how to bias though.... :O
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
There are a ton of things you could do with that amp, tube wise, that would be really cool.

And the CBB guy was giving me bias figures in terms of mA, so you'd just need to be able to measure cathode current, in all likelihood.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Too much gear talk not enough football talk!!
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Yup. I've entertained the idea of a pair of EL34s, two different 6l6s (like one RCA and a GE. *drool*), two 6v6s, and pretty much every combination out there. Maybe I can have Tim show me how to bias, lol.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Oct 6, 2011,
There's probably already a resistor in there from cathode to ground (most likely 1 ohm). If there's not, put one in. Get a meter, measure the voltage drop across that resistor, and adjust the bias pot until V/R is roughly the current you're looking for with that kind of tube.

Biasing isn't an exact science. Twist the knob till it sounds good is also a reasonable method.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by lbj273
Too much gear talk not enough football talk!!

Im going to the Jets VS Patriots game this weekend

How about that
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
The twist the knob until it sounds good method sounds good to me.

And yeah, football. My Lions are impressive!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by gregs1020
it's "atomic orange" ftr.

Texas says **** that. It'll be what we want.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Listening to A Dramatic Turn of Events. Looks like Portnoy was the weakest link there. Kicks the shit out of the last few albums.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Never really got into DT. Maybe the new album will change my mind.

Quote by mmolteratx
Posted this in the PBT last night.

EDIT: Oh ya, PM or FB me if interested so I can keep track of how many I need to build.

I better make myself a Paypal. Can I see the schem again Matt? Make sure to sign mine Prof. FaceMolter.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Here's the schem:

Missing the connection from between R4 and R5 to the switch and the coupling caps between Q5 and Q6 and the voltage followers though. No values since I was too lazy to punch them in.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Can't wait. Bet I could get some great sludge/doom sounds running it through my Laney set all gritty-clean like.

And did I see that right? BMP tone stack too? 6 pots? Also, the Modern/Vintage switch is still in there right? Pretty sure I see it...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Last edited by LaidBack at Oct 6, 2011,
Running it into a dirty amp might be too much gain. I dunno yet. I'm going to be dumping quite a bit of signal between stages though so it might end up working out nicely that way.

And crap. That's the earliest schem I drew up. Current version has 7 pots. Vintage/modern switch is still there to switch in/out the first stage. If you want a more detailed description,

http://maximumcork.forumotion.com/t93-doom-machine-build-thread#1007

Here's the current board layout revision.

EDIT: Tone control is a passive Baxandall, not a BMP. I don't really like the BMP tone control much. At least without the mod for a mids pot.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Don't feel like registering for MC while at work. I'll check that thread out later.

Ah, I knew it was one or the other. I knew that the tone circuit looked familiar, just couldn't remember which.

Also, where's a good place to buy vero board? I want to start putting some time into buildz. I have a short list of things I want to try.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I'll copy the description for you. I though you were already a member.

Quote by mmolteratx

Basically, it's a Tonebender with a switchable JFET boost up front. The boost has a pretty heavy low cut so it would tighten shiz up a lot. Gonna call it the vintage/modern switch since one mode will be tighter with insane amounts of gain and one will be looser with slightly less insane amounts.

Post Tonebender is another JFET stage. This one will be biased according to the three-halves power law in an attempt to squeeze some even order harmonics out of it. JFET selection will be crucial. Haven't decided on a pinch off voltage that I want to use since I haven't measured enough 2n5457s to get a feel for the mean yet. Once that's decided values will be quick.

After that JFET stage is a voltage follower into a passive Baxandall (James) tone stack. The initial values I'll be messing with will probably be similar to the BJF Sea Blue EQ since I like how that pedal's EQ works. After the tone stack is another voltage follower. The voltage followers provide optimum output and input impedances to make the Baxandall's frequency response as close to that intended.

After the tone stack is another JFET stage for recovery. This one will also be biased according to the three-halves power law exactly like the first in an attempt to add some warmth/even order harmonics.

The MAX1044 will be used to get -9V and +17.6V out of a +9V supply. The -9V will power the Tonebender section since the Ge transistors I got are nearly all PNP. The 17.6V will be for the voltage followers for max headroom. The JFETs will all be run off of the +9V supply.

I've just got to decide on values for a few pieces of the circuit and then I can order bunches of parts and wait for the Ge transistors to come in and build. Very excite.

Sag control will control the ESR of the -9V supply and allow you to simulate a carbon zinc battery that some prefer in a Tonebender. The higher ESR will cause voltage to drop as current flows, introducing sag. A high enough ESR will cause the voltage to drop period, regardless of how much current is flowing.

The Bias 1 control is to get the first JFET stage to bias at 4.5V on the drain so I don't have to select JFETs for that position. The Bias 2 control is for the collector voltage for Q4 (Q3 in a traditional Tonebender). Preferably you'd leave this alone but messing with it could get you a more gated fuzz tone. I might just drip some epoxy over the bias trimmers to prevent people from ****ing with them.

I buy my vero form Aron's Stompbox store.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Does anyone actually use perf instead of vero? I hate perf. I can't usually fit two legs into a hole together.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
to kyle's and tubetime's posts to me in the last thread

Oh and i picked up a tonerider analogue delay... had my eye on one for ages, but the only dealer in the UK (i thought) never had them in stock. It hit me a few nights ago that maybe i should check ebay in case there were other people selling them. I got one for £44 (new) including postage I've only had a quick run through it, but it sounds pretty darn good. Little bit of clock noise (or maybe i'm just no good at muting ), but it sounds good. Not sure if it's truly analogue or not... there are a lot of those hybrid analogue ones going around at the moment with the pt2399 chip, but for forty-odd quid I don't care, it sounds good and it's true bypass. I like the tonerider stuff, they don't try to give you too much with features out the wazoo, and while they're good value, again they're not so cheap that they've cheaped out and just made crap.

Oh and quail- i tried the thomann isolated power supplies. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I don't think they're working too well I'm getting a lot more hum, and some of my pedals don't work with it. I'll do more troubleshooting tomorrow if I can, but initial thoughts are... uh-oh.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.