Somebody is offering this cab around my home town, since I'm looking for a good cab for my RA I'm considering options. Is this a good cab? What kind of sound can you get out of it? How much should I pay for it? It's used in mint condition and has the stock celestion G12T-75 speakers.
I have the marshall 1960A, which I picked up used (but mint) for 350 euros. No regrets! It isn't as loud or as clear as a V30 loaded cab. However, a speaker swap is easy enough, not to mention the X pattern and 2/2 pattern possibilities. What music do you play? If it is anything metal, you'll probably want V30s for the tightness and clarity.
WTLTL 2011
I play a lot of different kinds of music, but specially hard rock, progressive, stoner rock, alternative, blues and, yes, metal. Is it a better idea to get a 2x12 mesa (road king or recto) for the same price? I know 4x12's move more air than 2x12's but just looking at the possibilities, you know? Thanks
Quote by Perverockstar69
I play a lot of different kinds of music, but specially hard rock, progressive, stoner rock, alternative, blues and, yes, metal. Is it a better idea to get a 2x12 mesa (road king or recto) for the same price? I know 4x12's move more air than 2x12's but just looking at the possibilities, you know? Thanks

FWIW-I have an older (early 90s) 1960B cab that I run with a SLO 100 head, & it sounds fine. I have a pair of 2X12 cabs I like much better, one a Mojave cab with 2 G12H30s in it (I'm not a fan of the V30s that I've heard), & the other is a Tone Tubby with one ceramic & one alnico speaker. I personally like 2X12s better, simply because I'm too lazy to move the 4X12 (it just sits in my music room & never leaves ). It's all about how much you want to spend. I pulled 2 tubes on the SLO to run it into a single 2X12 without blowing the speakers, & it's worked well that way for years. The SLO/Tone Tubby cab is my main gigging rig-quick & easy setup.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Its pretty much a standard for a good cab and works well with marshall heads but depending on what you play there may be better. A lot of high gain players prefer bigger cabs with v30s for instance.
It would be for a Mesa Royal Atlantic head, the thing is despite any cab I get I'll swap the speakers (1xV30 1xC90 in a 2x12 or 2xV30 2xC90 in a 4x12), the thing is I need something to start lol xD.
I played through one at Guitar Center the other day. I was suprisingly pleased, as I've never really been a gt75 kind of guy. It sounded pretty awesome, I was running a JVM through it.
By the way, I have ZERO experience with cabs and big tube amps, so there is a lot to learn. Don't know the difference on oversized, back closed, 3/4 closed, etc... Any info available? Here in my home town there are not many options, gear is very limited around here... Any specific info like "this is better for this because of this" and stuff would be really appreciated.
I have that speaker cabinet, and I've also owned a Marshall JCM800 2x12 combo with the same speakers. They have a bit mid scooped sound, with extra bass and treble. That extra treble helps with tone definition, but it may sound harsh if you don't set up your eq and presence settings right.

I can't tell you if I like them or not. I mean, I play mostly hard rock and they certainly have a good thump, but sometimes I think I could get a better tone with some other speakers. I intend to buy a pair of used V30 speakers and make that X pattern and see if that works better.

4x12 has more bass and balls than the 2x12 version, but it's not too much of a difference. Best thing is to try the cabinet by yourself, and if possible with your band.
Last edited by ivan987 at Oct 6, 2011,
I have a 1960b cab. Good bass response, closed backed as its tight, but it really needs to be driven. I have tried a lot of other cabs i prefer such as orange and mesa boogie. I really dont like v30s personally i think they sound brittle and harsh.

I run a 1x12 closed backed custom cab with a eminence patriot speaker, which naturally attenuates for me running my baron custom amp and diezel amps at lower volume. For my clean channel i am running a 1x12 open backed jensen speaker for cleans and i a/b between them. I feel that if you are going to spend thousands on a good clean and gain channel you should have a dedicated speaker for each sound.

There are lots of things you can do to better your speaker cabs sound if you open it up and check it e.g. that it is sealed correctly etc. Marshall were notorious for quality control..and when you gig a 4x12 it gets damaged internally. Theres a good course on youtube about speaker cab modifications.

Edit:- Oversized-much better bass response and presence, open backed-more natural harmonics and overtones, closed backed-tighter bass response. A partially closed back is somewhere between the two and works well imo.
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Oct 6, 2011,
It will be better than a V30 loaded cab for everything but full on metal. If playing a lot of styles I'd take a 1960 over a 1960V any day - especially if you play a lot of blues. It's up to you to decide. Where do you want to make your compromise most? Blues/rock or metal? If metal is something you only play occasionally go for it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well, somebody won me the cab . Thank you on your replies, that's exactly the information I need (Yeah Cathbard, I prefer blues/rock over metal). These are the ones available in my zone right now.
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-70555210-mesaboogie-rectifier-cabinet-2x12-celestion-v30s-como-nuevo-_JM
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-68955721-gabinete-marshall-avt-4x12-hecho-en-inglaterra-_JM
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-69268089-marshall-gabinete-de-extension-c2-bocinas-celestion-de-12-_JM (1922)
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-69268082-marshall-cabinete-jmd-range-300w-full-sized-4x12-speake-_JM

If the Mesa is the best option I'll maybe change one of the V30's for a C90, is it a good option? I've read in the boogie forums you can get a more round and balanced sound with this speaker mix, don't know if this entirely true though.
Sticking two GT12-75 or C90 speakers into a Mesa cab in an X pattern would be a fine idea. I'd go for two, not one. There are a few speakers that work well with them in that way.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
X patterns are great for live. For recording I'd stay away though. There'll always be some bleed, and phase issues may arise.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Oct 8, 2011,
Quote by riffhog
FWIW-I have an older (early 90s) 1960B cab that I run with a SLO 100 head, & it sounds fine. I have a pair of 2X12 cabs I like much better, one a Mojave cab with 2 G12H30s in it (I'm not a fan of the V30s that I've heard), & the other is a Tone Tubby with one ceramic & one alnico speaker. I personally like 2X12s better, simply because I'm too lazy to move the 4X12 (it just sits in my music room & never leaves ). It's all about how much you want to spend. I pulled 2 tubes on the SLO to run it into a single 2X12 without blowing the speakers, & it's worked well that way for years. The SLO/Tone Tubby cab is my main gigging rig-quick & easy setup.

The thing is it's difficult for me to get one of those cabs with the budget I have and the place where I leave. I have to stick to options in my area and, maybe, go used. I already spent 2k USD in a head, no more money xD. But I do appreciate your help, thank you.