What are the differences between jumbo and medium frets apart from size. Are the medium ones more prone to wear and tear? And how do they affect playability if you play Thrash and Melodeath?

THX
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
it's all preference, but generally, with a higher fret, if you press too hard, you might play sharp.

the strength of the fret depends on the material used not the size.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I made the switch to stainless steel frets a couple years ago. I have SS6100 frets on all my Warmoth necks. The frets are nice a big and the stainless steel is so smooth, everything else just feels slow and rough now. They will also last pretty much forever. I recommend them for any style of music.
Quote by jj1565
it's all preference, but generally, with a higher fret, if you press too hard, you might play sharp.

the strength of the fret depends on the material used not the size.

So basically it is the size of the fret wire right?

Also, so now that you have been officially knighted you are no longer a bot girl??

Generally speaking:

Tiny frets are better for chording
Bigger frets are better for soloing
Medium frets are inbetween

I find bigger frets to be a bit better for intonation but they're a little bit harder to crown properly (not something that should concern you unless your doing fretwork). I also find bigger frets to be far more comfortable with everything; chording, solo's, you name it, but that is all preference.

If you want to find out the difference, pick up a Fender strat and then an Ibanez. If you want to try out medium frets, try a Gibson.

They all wear out equally as fast if they are of the same material, but you get a little bit more life out of jumbo frets simply because they are bigger/taller than most so they can be level'd more often. Generally speaking though, you don't want to level your frets more than once as they become very awkward to play after that (IMO).
My Gear:

Guitars:
Ibanez RG 7 EXFX (27'' scale, 2x EMG 707)

Amp:
Mesa/Boogie Studio .20 Caliber

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Quote by breakstuff
So basically it is the size of the fret wire right?

Also, so now that you have been officially knighted you are no longer a bot girl??

yes, and

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/FretSizePop.aspx

i'm totally a robot knight!
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 6, 2011,
Thanks guys and girls, got everything I need.