Last night my band I were playing a show and my bandmate's Line6 Spider II 2x12 started squealing uncontrollably. It's blown. About a year ago it started to smoke but we just let it sit for a while, then it seemed alright up until now.

So anyways, my rhythm guitar player isn't too fussed about tone or anything and liked the Line 6, even though I think it sounds pretty crappy, but we need a new amp for our EP release. We'll be quite tight on cash, like 400-500 dollars, but we need an amp that can play live shows and that has enough gain for metal (thrash, prog). I was thinking of a Jet City, but I haven't seen any around the stores in Edmonton. I have a VK with an OD which is enough gain for our band. I don't think we should both have VKs either. What do you guys think? I've looked on Kijiji but mostly I use find used gear for the price of new (I'm not paying $600 for 6505 112).
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
The Jet City's are much better than Valve Kings in my opinion. Definitely worth it.

You can find a lot under $500 though. I've seen 5150's pop up for $550 for the 2x12.

JCM2000 Combos go around $500 also.
Sunn Spectrum II
Sunn Vertical 2x12
Sunn Vertical 4x12 Offset
Orange Crush 15
Fender Mustang Special
ESP LTD EC-500
Korg Pitch Black
EHX Big Muff Pi
MXR Carbon Copy
To Get:
Line6 DL4
Line6 Verbzilla
Malekko Ekko 616
Quote by evmac
Last night my band I were playing a show and my bandmate's Line6 Spider II 2x12 started squealing uncontrollably. It's blown. About a year ago it started to smoke but we just let it sit for a while, then it seemed alright up until now.

So anyways, my rhythm guitar player isn't too fussed about tone or anything and liked the Line 6, even though I think it sounds pretty crappy, but we need a new amp for our EP release. We'll be quite tight on cash, like 400-500 dollars, but we need an amp that can play live shows and that has enough gain for metal (thrash, prog). I was thinking of a Jet City, but I haven't seen any around the stores in Edmonton. I have a VK with an OD which is enough gain for our band. I don't think we should both have VKs either. What do you guys think? I've looked on Kijiji but mostly I use find used gear for the price of new (I'm not paying $600 for 6505 112).

lol a spider used for a show?? that made me laugh. Look at bugeras thier cheap you can probally put a half stack together for the price range your in. Look at the 333xl and 6262, the 333xl is a knock of a jsx or xxx, and the 6262 is a knock off a 6505. I use a 333xl for tech deathcore within the ruinsy stuff, so i think it could handle your styles just fine.
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Quote by OurRequiem
lol a spider used for a show?? that made me laugh. Look at bugeras thier cheap you can probally put a half stack together for the price range your in. Look at the 333xl and 6262, the 333xl is a knock of a jsx or xxx, and the 6262 is a knock off a 6505. I use a 333xl for tech deathcore within the ruinsy stuff, so i think it could handle your styles just fine.

+1

If you can find a used 333xl, and maybe borrow a separate cab for awhile. I'd definitely go with that.

My 333xl gets a better tone than the other guitarist in my band's Dual Rectifier (both of us think so )

So honestly man. Go for it.

But a Jet City would also suit your bill. Just look around

EDIT*

I also used to have a Spider II 2x12. Still miss that guy. Sold it for $250 though xD

I think I got a good price for it (:
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Peavey 5150 2x12 60watt combo
Orange Micro Terror
Jet City Made in USA 2x12
Quote by Crydius

You can find a lot under $500 though. I've seen 5150's pop up for $550 for the 2x12.

JCM2000 Combos go around $500 also.

Not in Canada, they aren't. You won't see a 6505 212 combo for much less than $700 unless someone is desperate.

How about these from Kijiji?

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-amps-pedals-Traynor-YCV50-Blue-All-Tube-Guitar-Amp-For-500-W0QQAdIdZ319481402

Add a boost and that might work for you. Great amp.

or

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-amps-pedals-Bugera-6262-W0QQAdIdZ317463373
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Ya I've watched some videos on bugera and they sound pretty good. I've heard some reliability issues people have had with em, so I wonder if they've improved. I haven't seen any stores around that carry em but I'll look around.

Haha Ya, it's not my first choice of amp for our band but times are tight. Atleast we used a Stiletto for recording
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by evmac
Ya I've watched some videos on bugera and they sound pretty good. I've heard some reliability issues people have had with em, so I wonder if they've improved. I haven't seen any stores around that carry em but I'll look around.

Haha Ya, it's not my first choice of amp for our band but times are tight. Atleast we used a Stiletto for recording

people talk about bugeras being unrelaible, but ive had mine for 2 years now, the tubes burned out once, no big deal it happens to all tube amps. but i gig, band practice and practice alone with my 333xl and ive never had a problem. you prolly wont find on in a store youll prolly have to order it off the internet, but take a look at ebay you can find one for a hell of a good price on there.
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
The Vypyr 30 in your sig not cutting it for live use? Always the option for the 60w tube Vypyr for around $470 new.

Oh and I'd imagine the 6262 is probably on the heavy side, might not be great to lug around to gigs. I know I wouldn't want to have to move my 6505 212 (85lbs) around often or up a few flights of stairs.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
The Vypyr 30 in your sig not cutting it for live use? Always the option for the 60w tube Vypyr for around $470 new.

Oh and I'd imagine the 6262 is probably on the heavy side, might not be great to lug around to gigs. I know I wouldn't want to have to move my 6505 212 (85lbs) around often or up a few flights of stairs.

The 60w tube vypr combo would heavier than a 6262 head/cab combo, and its not that big of deal carrying a moderately heavy amp around, unless your some kind of pussy, not like you have to walk a mile with it.
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
I'm definitely interested in that Traynor and the 6262. I see the Traynor has a V30 in it, which I've heard great things about, so how are the speakers in the Bugera combo? Also there's the 50 watt 112 vs. 120 watt 212 issue. I've played a 50 watt Marshall MA for a few gigs (last night for example) and it's pretty loud, but definitely not as loud as my 100 watt VK 212. I put my VK at around 3 for shows, but the marshall was around 3/4 full. Would the Traynor have enough balls?

Nah, it hardly cuts it for jams. My bandmate has one too, which he uses for jams sometimes, but It's feedback at high volumes is more than enough to piss us off.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Last edited by evmac at Oct 6, 2011,
I wouldnt reccomend bugera for gigging. As a studio amp thats gunna just sit their prehaps.

But theyre VERY cheaply manufactured and they arent roadworthy.

In my opinion anyway.

Pretty sure any speakers that comes stock loaded into a bugera are gunna be pretty wanky.

The jet city would be good, the traynors are a hot rodded marshall type thing, i havent tried one personally.

30 watts of valve is all you need for gigging. 50 for metalz if you really wanna avoid distorting the power amp. 112/212 doesnt matter on stage, it'll project a bit better for your own monitoring, but you should be getting miced up. An extra speaker wont provide more volume, but it'll sound "bigger".

Check out some laney, the aors are pretty nice and cheap. And its pretty much a jcm800 with more balls. Maybe a VH50/TT50/GH50/Ironheart too.
We get mic'd at most of our shows, but sometimes we play little punk bars and stuff which don't feel the need to mic us (which sucks, but the sound guy is usually making nachos and serving beer and isn't really a 'sound' guy soo haha). If we get mic'd a thirty watt ss vypyr would be loud enough, but I just want an insurance policy type thing where it'll be loud enough on it's own too.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
For playing unmiced in little bars and clubs you wont need that much watts.

30 watts from a valve amp is loud as balls. Like ear bleedingly loud. But it will break up a bit early if you crank it, which isnt such a bad thing for old school thrash.

Id be pretty happy gigging with my 30 watt head.

Theres also the wattage in relation to percieved volume thing.

Watts is a measurement of power not volume.

30 watts is only twice is loud as 3 watts.
100 is only twice as loud as 10 watts.

Doubling the wattage is only a increment of 3db. Which is like whispering compared to talking.
Last edited by beckyjc at Oct 6, 2011,
We play some bigger shows too though. It all depends. We're not too picky.

I've been searching the Traynor on youtube and there's not really any video that demonstrates it's "metal" ability, but I do have an OD which will probably get it into that territory... so it's def worth a look.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by OurRequiem
The 60w tube vypr combo would heavier than a 6262 head/cab combo, and its not that big of deal carrying a moderately heavy amp around, unless your some kind of pussy, not like you have to walk a mile with it.

The bugera head weighs about the same as the vypyr 60 1x12 tube combo. Actually, the Bugera 2x12 isn't overly heavy... about the same as a mesa 2x12 rectifier cab. Figured it would weigh more. Carrying around a 5150/6505 212 at least has the luxury of straps on each end... can't imagine moving around a mesa roadking 212 @ 100lbs and a single top strap.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Not in Canada, they aren't. You won't see a 6505 212 combo for much less than $700 unless someone is desperate.

How about these from Kijiji?

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-amps-pedals-Traynor-YCV50-Blue-All-Tube-Guitar-Amp-For-500-W0QQAdIdZ319481402

Add a boost and that might work for you. Great amp.

or

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-amps-pedals-Bugera-6262-W0QQAdIdZ317463373

im in mississauga, and 6 months ago i saw 3 or 4 of the 5150/6505 2x12s go for 500
Quote by rageahol
http://www.thomann.de/ie/peavey_vypyr_tube_120.htm
I think it's 50 euro shipping to Canada.

That's not much different than the head costs here in Canada. Can only imagine the warranty nightmares you could have if something goes wrong!

Seanthesheep, maybe in Ontario or BC, but most other provinces don't have as large of a population to drive great prices on used gear. Checked kijiji for Ontario and prices are definitely lower than they are here in NB.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I really think my rhythm player would benefit from a simpler amp than the Vypyr. He's like me, pretty much a meat and potatoes player. We don't use any effects at this point and we probably won't for at least a while. When I play the Vypyr, I hardly use any of the effects except phaser.

So far the Bugera looks like that best option, but I'd like to hear any other recommendations if there are any.

BTW I'm personally looking to sell my VK too, just so I don't have to carry this 70 lb beast around. I want a nice 50-100 watt head and a 212. But that's maybe for another thread
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
If you can find a Jet City JCA50H or the JCA100, that will do very well for what you're doing.

They're also supposed to be coming out with a JCA50 combo, the one they have right now is based on an entirely different amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
yeah sure a bugera (head) isnt made that well compared to say a 5150, but it will definitely survive gigging if you dont kick it around. i keep a v22 in my bed room and its been around quite a bot and it holds up well. i dont lug it around every week, but its been out an about and still works like new.

would i tour with it? heeeeeeeelll no.

The speaker isnt that bad. not a good as aftermarket. i thought about throwing a WGS in it and some new tubes, but id rather but it towards a new head i plan on buying. i dont really feel like putting 150 bucks of speaker and tubes into a 350 dollar amp.
Last edited by ikey_ at Oct 6, 2011,
Quote by ikey_
yeah sure a bugera (head) isnt made that well compared to say a 5150, but it will definitely survive gigging if you dont kick it around. i keep a v22 in my bed room and its been around quite a bot and it holds up well. i dont lug it around every week, but its been out an about and still works like new.

would i tour with it? heeeeeeeelll no.

The speaker isnt that bad. not a good as aftermarket. i thought about throwing a WGS in it and some new tubes, but id rather but it towards a new head i plan on buying. i dont really feel like putting 150 bucks of speaker and tubes into a 350 dollar amp.

i gigged the sh!t out of mine and it was good to go. the 6260 would do it, but for your type of music it could be a little high gain. i have a randall rt50 head, good amp, good for thrash, got a beefed up jcm800 sound. the combo version, the rg50t as well my head pop up from time to time for the cheaps on ebay, like 300-400. otherwise, the jca is a good choice, the 50 would be better because it has the big boy power tubes, tighter, better for a tight metal sound, the valveking could get you there as well.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Just to chime in, I've had a Bugera 333XL for about a year that I bought from a guy that bought it new a couple years before he sold it to me and it's had NO problems whatsoever (knock on wood). It's been dropped, braved Arizona dust storms, and survived rain. The tolex is tearing a little, but everything else is fine. The only conceivable problem I've had with it is the standby LED went out. It's definitely road-worthy.
If you're looking for a solid amp to at least do a metal EP with, a 5150 is the answer in that price range. It's a solid proven amp for metal, being the cornerstone for all things metal since it was discovered. Try finding the 212 combo, but fair warning they're RIDICULOUSLY huge and have a substantial bottom end because of it. They go cheaper than the head versions (for unknown reasons, the clean channel is actually better on these than the head and they have the same ball-busting crunch) at around $500, but the problem is actually finding one... The 212 is 1st gen (block letter) only and way more heads were made than the combo. Plus, nobody in their right mind would offer to ship these because of the gigantic size and large weight.

The Jet City would be a good choice as well, though get the 50W or 100W model for the 6L6's. Depending on the style you play you may want to get an OD or an EQ pedal, they have plenty of gain on tap but it's voiced a bit different than a full-blown metal amp.

I still think the 5150 is your best choice though.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
If you're looking for a solid amp to at least do a metal EP with, a 5150 is the answer in that price range. It's a solid proven amp for metal, being the cornerstone for all things metal since it was discovered. Try finding the 212 combo, but fair warning they're RIDICULOUSLY huge and have a substantial bottom end because of it. They go cheaper than the head versions (for unknown reasons, the clean channel is actually better on these than the head and they have the same ball-busting crunch) at around $500, but the problem is actually finding one... The 212 is 1st gen (block letter) only and way more heads were made than the combo. Plus, nobody in their right mind would offer to ship these because of the gigantic size and large weight.

The Jet City would be a good choice as well, though get the 50W or 100W model for the 6L6's. Depending on the style you play you may want to get an OD or an EQ pedal, they have plenty of gain on tap but it's voiced a bit different than a full-blown metal amp.

I still think the 5150 is your best choice though.

Thanks for the input but we already recorded the EP. I used my RGA with a Mesa Stiletto and the rhythm guy used his EC-500 with it. We just need something to play shows with/tour that's not too expensive.

So far:

Jet City JCA 50/100watt
Bugera 6262 120watt
Peavey 6505/5150

I'm thinking these are pretty solid amps!
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
I didn't catch the "EP Release" part of it

Still though, you get the idea I was conveying
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Hm, lots of good options on the used market for $500.

I don't know a whole lot about Jet City, but from what I do know, that'd be an excellent option. Other good options IMO would be either the Peavey XXX or JSX combo. The Peavey Ultra/Ultra Plus isn't as aggressive as the others, but it could still do what you want.

I strongly agree with beckyjc that if you're looking for a really tough amp for gigging/ general band use, you should stay away from Bugera.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
My buddy was recommending I play the Jet City's as well, but there hard to find around Edmonton since they're a relatively new brand. I'll have to do some looking around. I know personally when I tried the 3120 a year or so ago I really liked the tone (more so than the Dual Rec and the JCM 800 I tried). It would be sweet if I could find a XXX used, but to be honest, I REALLY hate the whole stripper motif going on with that model. Enough that I wouldn't buy it because of that haha.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
I know Axe used to have a slew of Jet Citys in stock, I haven't been there in a while but they pretty much had every basic model in some form or another. You could also take a peek at the old Mother's Music location for some potential liquidations since they were bought out by Long and McQuade.

And yeah, the 3120 is a bad ass amp. If I had a use for a full size head I'd be all over one. I've seen 40W xxx combos pop up on the local (Edmonton) kijiji from time to time for $400-$600.

If you can get away with something a little more JCM800ish you could look into a Peavey Windsor. I don't know if the studio would have enough head room, but the full sized head surely would. You'd have to scrounge together some cash for a cab in that case.

If you play a lot at places with PA systems you could also look into something like a POD HD. I've got an HD 300 and it sounds damn good for the price. Should also work out quite well if your other guitarist was a fan of Line 6 to begin with.
Quote by evmac
My buddy was recommending I play the Jet City's as well, but there hard to find around Edmonton since they're a relatively new brand. I'll have to do some looking around. I know personally when I tried the 3120 a year or so ago I really liked the tone (more so than the Dual Rec and the JCM 800 I tried). It would be sweet if I could find a XXX used, but to be honest, I REALLY hate the whole stripper motif going on with that model. Enough that I wouldn't buy it because of that haha.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm saving up for a 3120 because I just cannot stand the XXX. But the combo doesn't have all that crap on it, if you were going to get the combo.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Hello,
I have heard some reliability issues people have had with em, so I wonder if they have improved.
yeah i just wanna say to all the bugera haters, ive gigged mine and put it through alot over the past 2 years and its never shit out on me ever. unless the tubes went but thats happened to us all.
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Quote by shawntory
Spam.

Reported
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1