I need a little help. I'm trying to figure out the order my pedals should go. I play classic rock/hard rock threw a Marshall. I've tried different combinations but nothing really to my liking. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I have the following:

---BOSS---
MT-2(metal zone)
OD-3(overdrive)
AC-3(acoustic simulator)
DD-3(digital delay)
DS-1(distortion)
TU-2(tuner)
NS-2(noise suppressor)

--MXR--
BOOST/LINE DRIVER(booster)

--DUNLOP--
CRYBABY(wah pedal)
TU-2 ---> NS-2 ---> Crybaby ---> Boost --->DS-1 ---> MT-2 ---> OD-3 ---> AC-3 ---> DD-7

essentially if you can you would want to put the DD-7 and probably the AC-3 into your effects loop if your amp has one. Definitely put the crybaby infront of the distortion pedals otherwise you might end up getting the Quacking wah sound! The order of the distortion pedals doesnt really matter either I just listed them that way for no reason.
Since he has 2 distortion pedals and a overdrive, he probably uses the mxr linear boost as a volume boost, so that pedal should go after all the overdrives. Even better, in the effects loop if possible.

IMHO, I think the OP should sell some of his pedals, and his tone would probably benefit from it, since he has 9 non-true bypass pedals and probably loses some tone after all of those input and output jacks and patch cables. You don't need those distortion pedals, especially not for classic and hard rock. Try using the amp's overdrive as a base sound, and then add a bit of overdrive with a pedal when needed for more drive. I'm sure you don't really need that noise suppresor also.

There is this thing I noticed on UG, most of the people saying that they play through a Marshall amp and not mentioning the exact model use a Marshall MG. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens here. If your amp doesn't have a good base tone, then no pedals will save you.
Last edited by ivan987 at Oct 6, 2011,
Which Marshall? That's gonna change how you'd be using stuff.

Assuming your Marshall is not an MG (fingers crossed) then you have no need for your MT2 or DS1.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quoting myself:

Quote by ivan987

There is this thing I noticed on UG, most of the people saying that they play through a Marshall amp and not mentioning the exact model use a Marshall MG. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens here. If your amp doesn't have a good base tone, then no pedals will save you.

Being right:

"Marshall: MG100HFX, MG412 Slanted 4x12 Cab"

Information from his profile. Best way to go: sell all of your gear save for guitars, and buy a nice all-tube Marshall, a JCM800/JMP 2203 or 2204 would be great for any kind of rock. They also keep they value when bought used, and they are simple, reliable and powerful.
^ +1
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
well the mt2 should go back in the box. that's your first move.

i'll until we hear exactly what marshall it is
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Go to his profile, it's an MG100 head according to the information in there.
Quote by chip46
Sell everything but the delay, wah, tuner, and maybe the line booster. Sell the MG.

Buy all tube Blackheart, because they're nicer & cheaper than modern production Marshalls

??

Profit

fix'd
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Quote by SimplyBen
fix'd

No body said anything about modern Marshalls, I specifically said that a JCM800/JMP 2203 or 2204 would be great for him because they are made for rock, and that he should go used. No body mentioned current reissues.

I would probably keep the tuner, wah and overdrive.
Quote by ivan987
No body said anything about modern Marshalls, I specifically said that a JCM800/JMP 2203 or 2204 would be great for him because they are made for rock, and that he should go used. No body mentioned current reissues.

I would probably keep the tuner, wah and overdrive.

They are indeed, made for rock. But most of the tones associated with those amps are achieved by cranking the amp to hell. A feat that is not easily done now-a-days. Plus he's using delay with it, which I don't know if you've run delay into the front of an amp turned to 10, but it tends to not work that well.

Therefore it would be better to assume that were TS to get a new amp, he would want one based around preamp distortion that you can get at much lower levels of volume. Whereby he would be looking at a more modern production amp, where marshall's would not be the best choice and a Blackheart would be a much nicer option.

See? Not every "I need a rock amp" can be answered with "get a classic marshall."
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Quote by SimplyBen
They are indeed, made for rock. But most of the tones associated with those amps are achieved by cranking the amp to hell. A feat that is not easily done now-a-days. Plus he's using delay with it, which I don't know if you've run delay into the front of an amp turned to 10, but it tends to not work that well.

Effects loop?

I'm not a huge fan of modern Marshalls myself, I just said Marshall for the sake of argument, but anything tube is going to be an improvement. That and I only have experience with certain amps, so I won't recommend something I've never tried.
Effects loop won't make a difference if you're driving the power amp, because you're still running the delay into a dirty signal and all sorts of strange things happen.

Oh yeah I know that Dustin, Blackheart was just a suggestion from my experiences with modern marshalls.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band