Thinkin of broadening my horizons by learning some ska rhythms. Anybody any suggestions as to songs / resources? Ta.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
I've only listened to ska-punk once (close enough?) so I don't much much about this, but I recall the bassline usually is very melodic and resembles a walking bassline, which plays on the beats (contrary to the guitar and other instruments, which play off-beat).

One example is here on the verse (0:43), remember it's ska-punk though The bassline here basically plays some arpeggios with passing notes. I hope this helps.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Sublime, awesome basslines!

Some Rancid songs are kind of Ska Punk - worth listening to the Out Come the Wolves.

Goldfinger are also worth checking out.

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEYN5w4T_aM&ob=av2e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CUbMi7pOZ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udUCjJphE-0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHpU0ZfXZ_g&ob=av2n

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o80MGl2kpY4&ob=av3n
Last edited by Ghefly at Oct 6, 2011,
anything streetlight manifesto really is great ska bass. the bassist uses a five string but most of the songs can be played on a four string and they are just great bass parts.

forty days is really good.
would you be impressed is also good.
and here's to life.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Thanks for the recommendations. Out Come The Wolves is actually one of my favourite albums ans one of the reasons I want to look into this!
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
Eric Wilson of Sublime is a god, get a good pair of speakers or headphones and blast the Sublime all night all CD's

Ska/reggae/rock steady etc to me is kind of a mix of rock and Latin/Afro-Caribbean music. Ska-punk takes it farther into the rock realm where it's almost hard to define, take sublime, a lot of their songs are more rock and punk, with a little ska thrown in.

the guitar does play on the off beat muted on upstrokes (stereotypically)

the bass is really king in this genre playing off the guitar and dancing with the drums. Of course punk and rock brings it back into kind of just a different flavor of rock and punk
Streetlight Manifesto, Reel Big Fish, and Less Than Jake are a good place to start for some ska-punk. I'd also recommend checking out The Specials, The Toasters, and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
Streetlight Manifesto, Reel Big Fish, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

That is all.
Quote by Tostitos
Streetlight Manifesto, Reel Big Fish, and Less Than Jake are a good place to start for some ska-punk. I'd also recommend checking out The Specials, The Toasters, and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

good suggestions, but add Goldfinger, Buck-O-Nine and Suicide Machines to that list also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Trendy by Reel Big Fish...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Rhythm is an absolute must in ska. I'd suggest making sure you practice up getting good and tight with the drums, since most ska lines don't really follow the guitar, but rather provide the groove behind the upstroke of the guitar.

As far as how to construct lines, I'll agree with Astralcat and suggest major arpeggios. It also never hurts to know the major scale, since it is very common with ska lines due to its "happy, upbeat" feel.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Quote by Tostitos

I played with LTJ last year! I've always loved Rogers Bass playing. My guitarist smoked enough weed with the band before the show that he got them to play the ENTIRE 'Loosing Streak' album, front to back! It was like being in High School again!

The singer of my main band started up a ska side project that i may get called in to play with. They're playing their first show ever, tomorrow... opening for The Toasters!

Quote by Astralcat19
A good place to start is to make a walking bass line out of arpeggios from the guitar chords and then start adding rhythm.

This.

I don't always play ska, but when i do, i use an active 5er (via-the most interesting bassist in the world... stay skanking, my friend)!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Last edited by Din of Win at Oct 7, 2011,
I cant belive I forgot Fish Bone in my post

They are F-in RAD.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Concentrate on older stuff then move onto more punk stuff like Streetlight Manifesto. The basslines have stayed the same but the speed has quadrupled, it seems.
Quote by Tostitos

God dammit. Came in here to post the first 3.
SNSD