Poll: Do you give blood?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you give blood?
Yes, I give regularly (every time I can)
26 12%
Yes, occasionally
18 9%
Yes, might do again
12 6%
Yes, don't want to again
2 1%
Yes, have done, but I'm not medically allowed to anymore
3 1%
No, never, I'm not medically allowed to
27 13%
No, never, and I never want to
40 19%
Never have, but hopefully will do in the future
81 39%
Voters: 209.
Page 1 of 4
Well? If you do, how often? How long does it normally take you to lose the 470ml? Do you give regularly etc etc? Also, if you don't, why not? If you do, what made you? Do you give platlets/normal blood etc? And what blood group are you? Have you ever suffered any ill effects immediately after giving blood, e.g. fainting etc?

Discuss Also, if anyone has questions about it, there's some links below with info, or ask here and maybe myself or someone else will be able to answer.

I do, regularly, have done for a while now. Blood group A+. I started because I decided that someone else needs it more than I do, and have kept it up sinse. I was there today, took me 4:58 minutes to bleed 470ml....not sure i'm completely chuffed with bleeding that quickly, mind. Then to top it off I wouldn't stop bleeding, I was applying pressure for about 10-15 minutes before it stopped.

Also, here's a link with info for those of you in the UK who may want more info/are thinking of giving blood or platlets:

http://www.blood.co.uk/

Other links that may be useful

NHS Blood and Transplant (Organs) website

edit: Plasma is different than straight blood, and you are legally allowed to do it twice a week (unlike blood which is every, what, 6 months?) here's a link http://www.donatingplasma.org/

Quote by Dirk Gently
This is the link for the American Red Cross blood donation site.

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Last edited by rockdude375 at Oct 7, 2011,
I've done so for about 4 years. It's not as bad as what people make it out to be and I feel good being able to help someone even in a small way.
I'm too afraid of needles and dying from blood loss to do it.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I turned 16 a couple months ago, and soon afterwards they had a blood drive in a nearby town.
I was so sick I couldn't even get out of bed on that day.

I do want to give blood, though.
I'll let you know how long it takes when it happens.
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Frontman 212R
Digitech RP90.
Unknown brand of my bass.
Quote by zgr0826
I'm too afraid of needles and dying from blood loss to do it.

You're extremely unlikely to die of blood loss by donating, unless something drastic goes wrong. As well as the trained staff, they also have qualified nurses there just in case. Also, they use machines that automatically clamp the tubes when the bag is full, so it can't overflow.

Fair enough about needles though, I don't like 'em, and the ones they use aren't small.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
I give blood whenever they let me since they do frequent drives on my campus. Last time I got turned away because my iron levels were too high, unfortunately.

It's nice to give blood and then get shitfaced from like two beers.
I've never even been allowed to give blood. According to Red Cross, I lived in the UK too long after I was born and as such, could be a carrier of mad-cow disease. So I've been turned away a few times
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
I'm anemic and I almost pass out every time I do a blood test. I guess I can't donate blood.
I used to before the whole gay sex thing. I would do it again, but hope I never have a dry spell that long, so it's a fairly moot point. If I recall, my quickest time was just over three minutes - pumping a stress ball too keep the blood flowing. I was proud of that time, although felt a little flushed after. Went away fast enough though.

Edit: That should have been before the whole actually had gay sex thing. I wasn't alive when the ban came in.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Last edited by Hidden Hippo at Oct 6, 2011,
Quote by captaincrunk
Where is the "it's never come up" option? I don't have any particular drive to go do it but I'm not opposed to it.

^This.

I'm not going to go out of my way to go find a blood drive, but if I have the time and someone offers me a cookie/juice/whatever they give people wherever I might be, then sure.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by captaincrunk
Where is the "it's never come up" option? I don't have any particular drive to go do it but I'm not opposed to it.

Many apologies, you should tick the bottom one.

Quote by RU Experienced?
I give blood whenever they let me since they do frequent drives on my campus. Last time I got turned away because my iron levels were too high, unfortunately.

It's nice to give blood and then get shitfaced from like two beers.

Too HIGH?! Never heard of people being turned down because iron levels were too high before maybe just where you are. I'd have though if it was too high it'd be great. Even generally high iron levels don't normally cause issues

Also this
Quote by Hidden Hippo
I used to before the whole gay sex thing. I would do it again, but hope I never have a dry spell that long, so it's a fairly moot point. If I recall, my quickest time was just over three minutes - pumping a stress ball too keep the blood flowing. I was proud of that time, although felt a little flushed after. Went away fast enough though.

Aye, this is bullshit. I don't understand why gay men who've had sex with other men cannot donate. They say it's because of STD's and infections etc. But how is it different than having unprotected sex with a woman? I don't get it.
Quote by rockdude375
Aye, this is bullshit. I don't understand why gay men who've had sex with other men cannot donate. They say it's because of STD's and infections etc. But how is it different than having unprotected sex with a woman? I don't get it.

It sort of made sense during the AIDs crisis, but given that there are better tests and increased tests there is far less risk (especially since all blood is screened for HIV and other blood disorders before it can be used) it is rather disproportionate. At least they've done something, although a year without sex is a bit much. I'd love to be able to still give blood, but it probably won't happen soon.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Last edited by Hidden Hippo at Oct 6, 2011,
Quote by rockdude375
Too HIGH?! Never heard of people being turned down because iron levels were too high before maybe just where you are. I'd have though if it was too high it'd be great. Even generally high iron levels don't normally cause issues
The nurse told me why high iron levels could negatively affect certain people who receive transplants, but I forget what she said.

Quote by rockdude375

There's a higher prevalence of AIDS in the gay community relative to the heterosexual community.
I'd like to give blood but I have a fear of needles.

If there's a blood drive on in my area I'll go, but I don't actively seek to donate blood :P:
I did a few weeks ago. Just eat a hearty meal before donating, stay hydrated and stay away from dehydrating food (salt, caffeine, beer, soda...) for the rest of the day and you should be good.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by RU Experienced?
The nurse told me why high iron levels could negatively affect certain people who receive transplants, but I forget what she said.

Oh, I see, never though of that..

There's a higher prevalence of AIDS in the gay community relative to the heterosexual community.

That's fair enough, but they test each and every sample for that anyway. Even if it couldn't be done quick enough, they could have a system whereby you have to do a seperate test before you give blood just to make doubly sure.
Quote by AllJudasPriest
Where is the option for... No, never, and I never will?

Second one up from the top. Open more than half an eye and you might see it.
I did it today...how odd to see this thread....hm....

I had to lie though as they ask if you have been detained in a mental institution for longer that 72 hours...in the past year...

also the nurse needle raped my arm at the end...My blood clotted but she wanted morz....

also the machine is ten times better...more of a relaxing experience....(I would know i have done both...)

to those of you who have not donated i strongly recomend it.
I haz gotten gud
Quote by Hidden Hippo
It sort of made sense during the AIDs crisis, but given that there are better tests and increased tests there is far less risk (especially since all blood is screened for HIV and other blood disorders before it can be used) it is rather disproportionate. At least they've done something, although a year without sex is a bit much. I'd love to be able to still give blood, but it probably won't happen soon.

Actually, given that it can take more than 6 months after being infected with HIV to actually test positive, a year is reasonable.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
I have AB+, and donated in the past, but am not allowed to anymore because of a stupid false positive...

Ridiculous.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
ooh i faint every time to...but only after i do it....like an hour or so after....
I haz gotten gud
Quote by PureGouldBass
I've fainted the last two times I've given blood...

Your iron levels OK before hand? Also mentruation can have an effect on it. Obviously, if you're already losing blood, iron will be lower to start with, thats why they do a seperate iron test for men and women. Could be something else though depending on what you've eaten and drank that day.
I'm on the register... but haven't yet. I have to admit I don't like the idea. They seem to take quite a lot... and I'm not a big guy so have that feeling I'll keel over. Obviously they have weight restrictions for a reason, but still. Irrational fear I know... but I still plan on it.

I have no clue what blood type I am though... I'd like to know.
Quote by vitchb
I'm on the register... but haven't yet. I have to admit I don't like the idea. They seem to take quite a lot... and I'm not a big guy so have that feeling I'll keel over. Obviously they have weight restrictions for a reason, but still. Irrational fear I know... but I still plan on it.

I have no clue what blood type I am though... I'd like to know.

Give and they'll tell you

Also, they'll let you know if you're underweight for it I would have thought (don't have weight limits in the UK I dont think, just age). I think a lot of the time time the worst that happens is people faint, which isn't that terrible so long as you don't bang your head or anything on the way down.
Why do I need to give blood when I can cum it.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by rockdude375
Your iron levels OK before hand? Also mentruation can have an effect on it. Obviously, if you're already losing blood, iron will be lower to start with, thats why they do a seperate iron test for men and women. Could be something else though depending on what you've eaten and drank that day.

I got through the iron tests and all the checks and even the donation fine. In one case I was told it was likely because I'd had a cup of tea straight after and it seems that my body didn't like the heat of it or something.

I dunno...
I can't. Something about living in England for more than 6 months? I would love too, but I've always been told that I can't. I'd really love to donate plasma, too. Easy money and doing good things. Win-win. But again, I can't.
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
Yes, I've given a gallon total so far.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
No, I signed up to give blood but I got my lip pierced so I couldn't give blood for 4 months and they seem to have stopped sending me letters.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
When they stick the needle in you it doesnt hurt at all but when they prick your finger, holy shit 10000Xs more painful and when they take the tap off
Quote by CPDmusic
I'm content with being a horny mutant lizard.
Page 1 of 4