What happens in an active circuit, say if the pots are 50k, and you switch the volume pot to something like 10k?
will it give more or less gain, or mess with it some other way?
Cusp of Magic
If the pot is a part of the circuit and it most likely is, changing the value willchange the circuit behaviour. If the pot is in the feedback path of an op amp it will affect the gain directly. If it's an output volume on the circuit the change will be more subtle as it'll chnage the load. In an active circuit I would leave it as is.
Moving on.....
well the difference would be at maximum resistance 50k or 10 k it wouldn't change the amount of gain as pots are not active by them selves there fore can not boost but only cut from the signal the larger the resistance the more variance you could use the pot for up to a point as it is the same length so the roll off becomes more extreme at higher values
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
I ask this because I got a charvel with a midboost circuit, and some FREAKING ASSHOLE drilled out just enough of one of the holes on top for a replacement short shaft pot to fit in. i guess im just gonna replace it with another 50 k pot but the shaft is longer.
Cusp of Magic
Quote by selkies
well the difference would be at maximum resistance 50k or 10 k it wouldn't change the amount of gain as pots are not active by them selves there fore can not boost but only cut from the signal the larger the resistance the more variance you could use the pot for up to a point as it is the same length so the roll off becomes more extreme at higher values

I think you are misreading the OP's post. He's not talking about active PUs and the effect of pot value (or at least if he is he's not statelng it correctly). I read an active circuit or pre-amp in his post. The pot then if in the circuit can directly affect the gain.

OP can you clarify if it's an amp circuit or were you talking active PUS?
Moving on.....
Same thing that happens with passives when you lower the value of the volume pot, gets darker. You don't add more gain, but it does make things darker, hence why single coils usually have 250k pots, and humbuckers have 500k.

I have a 1 meg for my volume pot, and it's soooo much brighter than a 500k.