Hey guys, I'm in a couple of bands right now that are probably gonna be starting some gigs soon. The only amp I have as a 75Watt Line 6 Spider IV. Don't hate me, it's the only amp I have and I got it for christmas 2 years ago to start practicing.

I was looking at getting a new guitar between $500-$800 for christmas and/or early birthday present. My main guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul which is really not cutting it. It's old, never in tune even right after I tune it, and a lot of other problems (scratches, horrible jack, gotta test like 4 cords before I can get the tone I want, incredibly sick of it in general)

But I know that Line 6's are for the most part not good. I wanted to know if anyone could give input or suggest some amps/tube amps/whatever? I really don't know anything about amps I'm really looking forward to getting a guitar but I don't know right now! If there's any cheap (less than or equal to $100) pedals/effects/anything I could buy in addition to a guitar to help my tone, that would be great. How many watts do I need for an effective gig and getting a good tone? I play metal in one band (Dethklok, As I Lay Dying, Metallica, Dream Theater sounds etc) and have another rock/blues band which i'd like a good clean tone for.

I saw a Jet City 50Watt Tube Guitar Amp Head online for $600. I just need help here!
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Epiphone les paul's aren't usually bad guitars at all. My first real guitar was the epi LP. Are the tuners like fully screwed? The tuners for epiphones are the only downside imo but you can get a nice sound from it easily!
The jet city would probably be a decent choice to get a balance of tones that you're after with an OD/distortion pedal or something
You could also get something like http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=laney+vh100r&_sacat=0&_odkw=112+amp&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
You'd just need a cab though, either a cheap 4x12 or a decent 2x12
or possibly one of the 2 on there http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=bugera+333xl&_sacat=0&_odkw=4x12+cab&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
orrrrr http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=valveking&_sacat=0&_odkw=5150&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
You'll probably get a lot of 6505 suggestions, personally i don't rate them that much. I dont think they're versatile at all.

If you have the cash, splash out on a peavey jsx and a nice marshall/orange/mesa 2x12/4x12, you wont be disappointed
Quote by thePTOD
I saw a Jet City 50Watt Tube Guitar Amp Head online for $600. I just need help here!
Good amp, indeed. Should cover all your needs, no Dist/Boost pedal needed. Maybe an EQ for the Metallica stuff.

Jet City's 4x12 is really good for the price, but you can also get great used 2x12's for around the same price. A 2x12 is good enough for gigging, but a 4x12 projects out better, so the sound is more consistent throughout the area where you are playing.
Thanks. So if I was going to get an amp head I should get a cab too? I'm sure I'd do this, just checking.

And yeah, the Epi's tuners are all good. My stepdad has rescrewed the jack multiple times and fixed the tuners. It's just a very old guitar that's been out in the cold a lot, and I've been looking forward to a new guitar for 3 years, just not sure what to do at the moment.

Oh yeah this is probably a dumb question, but you can hook up amp heads and cabs of different brands right? They don't have to be the same brand to work right?
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Last edited by thePTOD at Oct 6, 2011,
Quote by thePTOD
Oh yeah this is probably a dumb question, but you can hook up amp heads and cabs of different brands right? They don't have to be the same brand to work right?
As long as the wattage handling is the same or higher than the head's wattage and the ohm impedances match.

And yes, if you get a head, you must get a cab to go with it. Head's don't have speakers. You also hook the head to the cab using speaker cables, not just regular guitar cables. Speaker cables are thicker and can handle more voltage.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
As long as the wattage handling is the same or higher than the head's wattage and the ohm impedances match.

And yes, if you get a head, you must get a cab to go with it. Head's don't have speakers. You also hook the head to the cab using speaker cables, not just regular guitar cables. Speaker cables are thicker and can handle more voltage.

Thanks a ton. You've taught me more today than I've learned all week in school.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
For $600, you might be able to snag a used JSX head and you probably won't be able to top that for the money and versatility. Nothing wrong with that Jet City 50, though!

And yes, heads will have different settings for different loads (impedance) for the cab. Just match the settings on each and you're good to go. As for power requirements, any good quality cab will handle a 50-120w all tube head. Just don't pair up a nice Jet City or JSX head with a marshall MG 4x12 that you thought was a steal on craigslist for $150

As for your guitar, have you brought it somewhere to get worked on? Epi LPs aren't high end models, but I would expect they would behave better than what you've experienced. For $30-40, a tune up and replacement output jack should fix the problems! Nothing wrong with old guitars. I've been playing my Fender for 23 years now and other than the stupidly soft metal Kahler used in the bridge, it's still amazing!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
If you need versatility, look into the Peavey Vypyr Tube. It's versatility and sound quality simply can't be matched for the price.

As for your guitar, it may be low quality, but you can still fix it up to be usable at least. First of all, string it like this and it'll stay in tune a lot better

Epiphone is known for having horrible electronics. Most likely your jack has come partially unsoldered. That is a common issue on cheaper guitars. With a little bit of solder and an iron (which are extremely cheap in the long run, about $20 to get you going), you can fix the electronics up better than they were when it shipped from the factory.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Oh, also: do I NEED an amp head and cab to play shows? I mean a good amp (better than my line 6) and some speakers could work right?

Also, if I ended up getting some good pedals, and used them through my Line 6, would they sound better, or would it still have a sub par tone?
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by thePTOD
Oh, also: do I NEED an amp head and cab to play shows? I mean a good amp (better than my line 6) and some speakers could work right?

Also, if I ended up getting some good pedals, and used them through my Line 6, would they sound better, or would it still have a sub par tone?

You could use a combo because in most places, they mic your amps. But pedals through a line 6 will still sound.....well.....like the line 6....

You're better off getting a good tube amp and a few pedals if you need it.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Using pedals through a line 6 is pointless unless its a valve line 6 head
You can get a line 6 footswitch to get the most out of your effects as its a spider

If you were to get a JSX or any other amp with an ohmage switch on it you can switch between 4,8 and 16 ohms so you can use pretty much any cab out there.
Your line 6 combo will do for smaller shows but as you start to do bigger and better gigs you'll need something that'll stand out in the mix while playing which is why people always choose the tone of a valve head.
your epiphone is a decent guitar and can be customized/repaired. Your line 6 will always be a solid state average combo which only sounds good at home
I'd spend about 2/3 of your budget on a good head and the other 1/3 on a good cab. Something with celestion v30 speakers in will do great
look in to a 2nd hand laney vh100r, they're good for the money they go for and it'll give you a bit of budget for a cab.
If you want a combo then get something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bugera-333XL-212-120W-Tube-Valve-Combo-Guitar-Amplifier-/310342755118?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4841dea32e#ht_1489wt_808 so you dont have to spend money on 2 things

+ for the love of god. if you get a head and cab do not connect them using a standard jack lead!
I used to have an Epi les paul that was a better overall guitar than my current Gibson LP studio, so dont discount epi's. If you string it properly, and put $50-100 into getting it set up, and maybe new tuners, it'll be perfectly fine. Your amp will affect your tone considerably more than the guitar. I used to rock a spider too. They're decent little practice amps, but they aren't so hot for gigs. The peavey JSX mentioned above would be an AWESOME amp for you if you can find one used. Actually, there are a LOT of used amps that will blow the spider away in the $600-800 range.Just remember you need a cab with it, so make sure your budget will accomodate both. You don't want to run a head with no cab. You can fry it.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Thanks for this advice too guys. I don't know if I'll be able to get a cab and amp head, I'm trying to talk to my parents about this stuff and they aren't really keen on it for some reason. A new guitar would be great, but I might look into getting a new tube/valve combo amp that's better than the line 6, and maybe a pedal or two.

The range im looking for is not above 800, or probably even 700. My parents may be able to kick in a bit more but I don't know. I was actually thinking about going all out and spending most of my saved money (250ish range) and pooling with my rents to get a 800-1000 dollar guitar, but I don't know at the moment.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Why not get a Jet City combo instead of a head/cab? The JCA5012 is $600 in the US. And plenty loud enough to jam with a drummer and play gigs. The 50w tube combo would eat your line6 for breakfast Plus that leaves some money to pick up a pedal or two.

Might be able to find a used JSX 212 combo for $700ish, if you're lucky.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Why not get a Jet City combo instead of a head/cab? The JCA5012 is $600 in the US. And plenty loud enough to jam with a drummer and play gigs. The 50w tube combo would eat your line6 for breakfast Plus that leaves some money to pick up a pedal or two.
I'd take a head and 2x12 cab over a 2x12 combo. With that, you can separate the trips and spare the back pain. Plus, it's easier if you ever would want to upgrade to better cab.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I'd take a head and 2x12 cab over a 2x12 combo. With that, you can separate the trips and spare the back pain. Plus, it's easier if you ever would want to upgrade to better cab.

Well that's even if he can find a used JSX when he wants to buy. I totally agree on the weight. But you'd be hard pressed to find a nice head and a decent cab for $700-800. The Jet City 1x12 would come well under that 700-800 range. And you can always hook it up to a cab down the road.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
What of half stacks? I've been looking at some of those in Musicians Friend magazines. But I may end up going with a new guitar for christmas. I'm a senior in high school and I don't actually know how many gigs I'll be getting within the next few months. And I don't want to buy something just to have it sit in my room when I'm at college.

My mom and stepdad said I should get a new guitar now, and figure out what I'll need for gigs later. They said they'd definitely buy me an amp head and cab set once I start gigging, but they think I should wait until I actually know I'll be using it.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Well you have to understand how volume and speakers work, a 4x12 cab isn't that much louder than a 2x12. It's how the sound is dispersed that's the largest difference. Well and I guess low end oooph. If you're playing a gig that's too large for a 2x12, a 4x12 won't get you over the top. For that, you'll be mic'd anyways, so a 1x12 combo would be just as effective.

If you don't want to spend a whole lot of money now and want something pretty decent, look at a used vypyr 60 tube 1x12 combo. Should be able to find one and a sanpera switch for $350-400. Start combing through craigslist (or kijiji if you're in Canada) and see what you can find.

A $1000 guitar played through a crap amp will still sound bad.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Well you have to understand how volume and speakers work, a 4x12 cab isn't that much louder than a 2x12. It's how the sound is dispersed that's the largest difference. Well and I guess low end oooph. If you're playing a gig that's too large for a 2x12, a 4x12 won't get you over the top. For that, you'll be mic'd anyways, so a 1x12 combo would be just as effective.

If you don't want to spend a whole lot of money now and want something pretty decent, look at a used vypyr 60 tube 1x12 combo. Should be able to find one and a sanpera switch for $350-400. Start combing through craigslist (or kijiji if you're in Canada) and see what you can find.

A $1000 guitar played through a crap amp will still sound bad.

Good point. I probably won't be playing anywhere that a 2x12 can't handle. And having the amps mic'd will help, even now with my line 6, since I won't ahve to crank it so loud and get a horrible tone.

What would you guys think about a crate amp or half stack? any comments?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/crate-flexwave-fw120hs-and-fw412-half-stack

Or this one you mentioned

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/peavey-6505-112-60w-1x12-tube-combo-guitar-amp/582106000001000
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by thePTOD

HOLY SHIT DO NOT GET THAT FLEXWAVE! It may sound far superior to other SS amps for the same price (the distortion is the same as the old Ampeg VH140c), but trust me: that thing is more unreliable than a Bugera. My rhythm guitarist used to own one, his melted in 1 month.
Yeah get a better amp than a line 6. i was playing live with a raven, with a bunch of pedals and it still sounded like a shitty raven but yeah most of the time (at least in my case) you will be miced.
Quote by ChrisBW
Don't get any pedals to use with your Line 6. Your base sound will still be the Line 6 and pedals aren't going to fix that.

"Blemished" $450
http://www.zzounds.com/item--JETJCA50H

Used 2x12 $180
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-JET-CITY-JCA24S-212-CAB-W-COVER

Save up a bit more and find a guitar you like.

Thanks, I'll keep these in mind too. I have decided to get a new guitar first (since I may want a 7 string) and my stepdad has an amp or two that also work that are a tad better than my line 6. My amp isn't good, and I can definitely do better, but I'm just going to wait until I can actually use the amp before I go out and buy one. But thanks for all of this.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day