Hey, I bought an Ibanez sr405 over the summer used. I'm pretty sure it has an active pre-amp and passive pickups, and it has a 9 volt battery. I'm just not sure how often I should change the battery and if there is a way to know when. Sorry if this is kind of a noob question, but I'm kinda new to bass.
When it starts running out your bass will sound like crap, do it then.

Or just before a gig if you're paranoid.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I don't own an active bass pickup, but someone I know does and the bass' signal sounds horribly distorted when the battery starts running out.
Professional lurker since 2009.
When it sounds "dead" or "flat" or "not what it used to sound like" is when you should change it.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
If you are unplugging the cable when not playing the bass it could last for several months. I don't play bass as much as guitar so mine lasts a long time. Last time I changed it was because it seemed like there was some volume drop. That's my only active guitar, and I am certainly no expert on how they work, but hopefully that helps.
You'll know when its dying, trust me....
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
When your bass starts getting weird distortion or quiet, you'll think its the guitar or the cable but check the battery first!
I swap weekly.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by CJ Noble
I swap weekly.

That seems majorly excessive.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Check it before practice, change it before a gig (or make sure you carry a spare).
It depends on how often you play really.

Swapping every other week or so is appropriate if you play for many hours every day.

A battery can last a year if you play only an hour or so a week.

I carry a spare in my gig case. And I have a small pack of them at my practice place.

You aren't really going to know(while playing) when it's about to go out until the signal starts to become intermittent from the dead battery still trying to cling to life. You will lose all your sound then it will flicker back on, then off a few more times until it finally quits for good.

Best way to test the batteries is to lick the contacts....

When you're playing and you slowly start to get quieter..? Yeah that's when. I didn't have a clue what an active pickup was till I bought a Peavey Millennium 5AC BXP I'd turn the amp on, play and after 5 seconds it would sounds like someone was grinding rocks across my bass strings and slowly fade to silence.
Fortunately my dad told me to change the battery, saved me from smashing up my bass.
Find the EQ you like for your sound with the active pickups on.

Don't practice active. Don't leave it plugged in if not playing.
Quote by gilly_90

not if you play 12 hours a day
Quote by CJ Noble

Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Quote by CJ Noble

I thought you were supposed to get 500-1000 hours out of a 9v battery in a bass.

If you played for 12 hours a day for a week, that's just 72 which still seems like a waste.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Talked to a lot of people about this, on both the bass side and the sound engineering (whatever their calling themselves nowadays) side

Its pretty much agreed that long before the signal starts to distort or get ultra quiet, it will weaken. Your sound will be less "full"

I know in recording sessions, if I listen back and my bass just sounds like its missing something, I pop a new battery in and that will fix the problem 9/10 times. My bass is also notorious for eating batteries
Quote by gilly_90
I thought you were supposed to get 500-1000 hours out of a 9v battery in a bass.

If you played for 12 hours a day for a week, that's just 72 which still seems like a waste.

normally yeah but it's powering active EQ, active pups, and a built in compressor. after about a week it drains the battery down to 7v at which point I get some nasty distortion.
Quote by CJ Noble
normally yeah but it's powering active EQ, active pups, and a built in compressor. after about a week it drains the battery down to 7v at which point I get some nasty distortion.

Well shit.

I get annoyed at having to change every 6-18 months
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

My old Spector would suck the absolute shit out of batteries. A single 9v powering two EMG 40DCs and an Aguliar pre, I really should've wired it for 18 or even 27 volt in hindsight. Leave it plugged in overnight and it was new battery time the day after.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by gilly_90
Well shit.

I get annoyed at having to change every 6-18 months

I'd rather it be like this, personally. I change my battery every Friday just on habit alone. If I was changing every six months I'd just be like "**** I need to change my battery this is such a pain in the ASS"