I moved into this house four years ago.

Before that, my studio was in a large room that doubled as a family room of sorts. It was... geez... probably 15x20. There was some natural absorption in that about 60% of the walls were covered with porous barn-board, and there was some natural diffusion with the stuccoed walls. The sheer size of the room allowed me to have a space where there were very few reflections coming back to me at the mix position, and the vaulted ceiling didn't bounce sounds back into the center of the room. It wasn't "treated" per se, but I was lucky enough to have a room that was usable enough without treatment that my mixes tended to translate quite well. Because of this, I held the opinion that room treatment was over-rated. "My room isn't treated, and my mixes come out fine!"

Moving into this house, my first setup was in a basement room that was just *terrible* acoustically. The dimensions of the room were such that I had tons of nodes and nulls, and the wood paneling on the walls was both resonant and reflective - a bad combination. The ceiling was low. I produced very little worth listening to in that room. I'd get a good mix happening and move my chair back two meters and there was no bass. Move my chair back another two meters and that was pretty much all you could hear was bass. Play it on the car stereo.... all bets were off as to what it would sound like.

I designed my new room for the finished basement. It was smaller than the "wood panel" room, but with a LOT of research I came up with a design that would achieve one of the "ideal ratios" - or at least within 3 inches anyways. The ceiling is higher, and there aren't a lot of really flat surfaces. I thought I'd be pretty much set.

Nope. I made a mix and thought it sounded great. It sucked. Bad.

Because of the size of the room, I do have room nodes (all rooms have them... mine are spaced well, but a bit, shall we say, "inconvenient") which means that some frequencies are over-represented. Because of the small size of the room, I'm getting lots of reflections. Some of the lower frequencies are bouncing off the back wall somewhat cancelling each other out (nulls) as they return backwards towards the speakers. As a result, my mixes turn out bass-heavy as I over-compensate for the qualities of the room. If anything, as I mixed, I was worried that it would be top-heavy. Go figure.

Keep in mind that the only changes I have made to my gear since the big room in the other house have been improvements, and I am using the same monitors.

So, my next step is room treatment. I got a hold of some rigid fiberglass insulation and some plans for DIY bass traps (broadband absorbers). That's my weekend project.

We'll see how it goes.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Looking forward to see how you get on - good luck with it Chris, and I'll keep watching for your update. I know it's a bit much, but do you have any measurement equipment to do a basic FFT frequency response plot of the room from your current mix position, and then the mix position in whatever you end up doing? Not something you should go out of your way to do, and definitely don't push yourself if other things are more important to your time, but would be a nice touch to the thread.

Oh, and lots of pictures please
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Ahh. Good to see a real acoustics thread on here. I normally have to go to gearslutz for my acoustics fix...

I've got a little insulation (OC 703) in my garage and plan to order some more before too long. I'm still debating the best way to mount it and/or frame it to fit my room since my windows and doors are in very inconvenient places...

Best of luck to you on your project. I hope it turns out well and you have a good mixing room again. Please continue to share your experience and if possible post some graphs of the before/after. Pics are always welcome too.
Here is my thread on the johnlsayers forum. For stuff that goes well above and beyond any discussion I have ever seen here on studio design, construction, acoustics, etc., it is probably the best site on the net. The people who post there have such enviable credentials.

http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17090

There are pics there of the current setup, along with a simple design for bass traps, etc. I'll be following the design posted by BriHar on page 2 of the thread.

There is a freeware program called REW (see link on page 2 of thread) for acoustic room measurements that I will be using.

After school today, I'm picking up some rigid fiberglass insulation, which was a real trick to find. None of the big-box stores and none of the "builders' supply" stores had any. I actually had to get them from a glass insulation fabricator that I had previously never heard of. Priced similarly to Roxul, though, so that's fine.

I'll keep us posted! Thanks for the support!

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Cool, I'm completely redoing my room right now as well. My bass traps are going to be expensive to build, but whatevs... Just having issues finding OC703 or 705 around here to buy
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Once you trap you don't go back...

I recommend Rockboard 60 from ATS Acoustics. Very cost effective, it's as efficient as Owens Corning 705 but cheaper than Owens Corning 703.

Even just making some 4" thick free-standing gobos to arrange as a gigantic 'reflection filter' is great, and of course treating the first reflection points should be of utmost priority.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by sandyman323

I'm aware of ATS's site, but $72 for shipping on 12 panels is ****ing ridiculous.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'm aware of ATS's site, but $72 for shipping on 12 panels is ****ing ridiculous.
It is, but they are a smaller company than MF, they simply can't afford to take a loss on shipping... if you looked at what UPS charged to ship a 56-pound, 2'x4'x1' box, you'd see that it's pretty accurate.

For those of us who live in say... college-town Kansas , the only hope is to buy a MASSIVE quantity through a contractor or order from ATS.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by muso_catolico
It is, but they are a smaller company than MF, they simply can't afford to take a loss on shipping... if you looked at what UPS charged to ship a 56-pound, 2'x4'x1' box, you'd see that it's pretty accurate.

Their problem isn't that they're charging an accurate price, it's that they're using UPS, who are a complete a ripoff. They could easily set up a business account with FedEx, USPS or even UPS and get a significant discount. They may be charging a "fair" price if you're a regular person shipping to someone else, but they are overcharging by a fair bit from a business's standpoint.

I emailed Owens Corning though and they gave me the names of two residential home builders in my area that have access to 703 and 705, so I'll be contacting them next week to see if they'll sell me a small amount
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 7, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Their problem isn't that they're charging an accurate price, it's that they're using UPS, who are a complete a ripoff. They could easily set up a business account with FedEx, USPS or even UPS and get a significant discount. They may be charging a "fair" price if you're a regular person shipping to someone else, but they are overcharging by a fair bit from a business's standpoint.
Very true man.

I emailed Owens Corning though and they gave me the names of two residential home builders in my area that have access to 703 and 705, so I'll be contacting them next week to see if they'll sell me a small amount
Awesome!

I love seein' treatment get put up in here!
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by muso_catolico
Awesome!

I love seein' treatment get put up in here!

Yeah, I've already got some Auralex junk in here that I got for free, but it's okay, at best. My whole recording room is going to have to be reorganized though, but I'm hoping when it's all done, it'll be pretty sweet!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I had a hell of a time finding OC703 around here. After calling all the big-box stores and builders' supply places, I called an insulation contractor and he put me onto this fabricator about a half-hour from here.

Of course, I went there at 4:20 this afternoon and found the place locked up tight for the Thanksgiving weekend. They were supposed to be open until 4:30, so I left work earlier than I would have, and it was almost a half hour from work too. All the way there for nuthin'.

Here is what I found around here: http://glasscellisofab.com/en/glass.html#a3

Quote by MatrixClaw
they're using UPS, who are a complete a ripoff.

Don't even get me started about UPS. They couldn't deliver a crap in a diaper if their collective lives depended on it.

Quote by FireHawk
I like the color scheme of that room you are recording in btw...yeah i know odd comment...

Thanks!

CT

Quote by axemanchris

Don't even get me started about UPS. They couldn't deliver a crap in a diaper if their collective lives depended on it.

Not to steal the topic of thread but you would be surprised by all that UPS does. They have an amazing logistics structure. Heck they repair Toshiba laptop for Toshiba. The laptops don't even make it to Toshiba on warranty. I believe they do something similar with Nike as well (only not repair), but replace sizes and such.

Sorry one of my majors is Industrial Distribution, an we just did a UPS case study :p
UPS Story #1: Sent birthday card to my mom one year. Cost me $20 for next-day delivery (I know, foresight would have saved me a lot of grief and money). UPS guy shows up to my parents' condo, walks up to security door and makes no effort to look for the name or to buzz. Just turns and leaves. I know this because my mom saw him from her window of their ground-floor unit. She was going to call out to him, but he was already in the truck and screwed off.

I phoned to complain and they said they'd re-send him. My mom put a note on the window to the entrance with her name and buzzer number. She was watching for him. She saw him come up towards the complex, see the security door (but make no effort to go into the foyer so he could actually see the note), look around, turn around, and take off.

UPS Story #2: Eagerly awaiting my Cubase upgrade, I had the front door of my house open so I could keep an eye out for him. My house number was 126 and the number was on the door. Remember, though.... the door was open.

UPS truck pulls up, guy half-gets out of truck, looks around, and screws off. I was standing in the doorway. I was going to shout him down, but was in total disbelief that his foot barely even hit the sidewalk before f**king off. I started to call out, but it was too late. I got a phone message about a half hour later saying they tried to deliver but couldn't find the house.

So, my neighbour on one side was 124, my neighbour on the other side was 128, and the house across the street was 125. There was a house where the number wasn't visible from the sidewalk with a guy waiting in the doorway to shout him down "dude! This is the place!"

.... but the dumb f**er couldn't even find the house.

CT

^ Can't say I've ever had that issue with UPS, but I HAVE had them damage things that were packaged very well, multiple times. Dealing with their customer service is hell, in most cases they are completely unwilling to give you compensation for damage they clearly inflicted during shipping. I've heard, on more than a few accounts, of people having to sue them to get any money out of their insurance claims.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
My personal favourite:

Me: If I was to mail a birthday card from Toronto to Vancouver via regular postage, how long would it take to get there?

UPS: Probably about 7 business days.

Me: And that would cost (whatever the price was then) 45 cents?

UPS: Yes. Why?

Me: Then why is it that UPS can't get it there in 15 business days, and it still cost me $20?

SET.....SPIKE!!

(yes, the birthday card incident was this big protracted incident of failed attempts and "we'll try again, but it won't be until Thursday" kind of thing.)

Update!!

So I have the panels up.

(Invalid img)

So, here is what I have done...

I got rid of the big desk and the big chair. The smaller desk allows me to have the speakers on either side of the desk on stands (which still need to be covered, but that's fine for now.... this way you can see the "design")

Three panels across the back wall. 2x2, 1x2, and 2x2.

A pair of panels on either side. 1x3

I have one 18" x 24" panel behind me on the wall, but the matching panel that will go on the back of the entry door is not up yet, as the door is not up yet.

Panels are on 1x3 furring strip frames. Semi-rigid fiberglass (similar to OC703) 2" thick in two layers for a total of 4" of fiberglass. Wrapped one layer with 6 mil vapour barrier (sides and front, but not underneath), and wrapped with a breathable cloth (cotton/poly blend). They are stood out from the wall using 3.5" lengths of ABS drain pipe so that the fiberglass is out 4" from the wall.

Pics of construction are here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/105151472351939734946/StudioEvolution?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMqj8aqgrZKZDQ&feat=directlink

I built a 4x3 cloud by adding 4" of semi-rigid fiberglass onto a sheet of 1/2" plywood, covered in vapour barrier and then covered in cloth. The front is lower than the back, so it slopes upwards and away from the mix position, ending directly above the mix position.

I'm encouraged by the graphs. From about 100hz to 7khz, the new measurements are considerably flatter. I did a test, both pre and post treatment, and the differences seem to big significant. In both cases, the pre-treatment measurements are in blue and the post-treatment measurements are in red. (using REW V5 software, smoothing to 1/3 octave)

Before and after tests at the mix position:

(Invalid img)

Before and after tests about 75% of the way to the back of the room:

(Invalid img)

Now there is one significant curiosity.....

Whereas before, I got measurements downwards to 20hz, and upwards to 20khz, I am now getting virtually nothing below 60hz or above 8khz.

The first time I ran the follow-up test, I realized that I had a setting wrong and was doing a reading as if there was a subwoofer (which there isn't) so I got nothing below about 75hz or so, but when I fixed that, it gave me a little more.... but not as much as I was expecting.

The proof is in the pudding, though. Clearly, the room is much more accurate than before, and the imaging is way better too.

So far, so good!

CT

I don't know much about acoustics but why are you not getting anything above 8Khz and below 60hz? That seems weird as don't kick drums usually have their main attack at 40-55hz?

Maybe I am just dumb and reading the graph wrong lol

Anyway its looking good. What you doing about that window or is it going to be okay with the panels?
I had the same realization when i moved into my house, i think i spent about $400 treating the room and my mixes did a total 180
Quote by FireHawk
I don't know much about acoustics but why are you not getting anything above 8Khz and below 60hz? That seems weird as don't kick drums usually have their main attack at 40-55hz?

Maybe I am just dumb and reading the graph wrong lol

This is what I'm trying to figure out. I'm sure I'm hearing frequencies there - at least pretty sure....

Quote by FireHawk

Anyway its looking good. What you doing about that window or is it going to be okay with the panels?

I'll just make a curtain and cover it. It's been nailed and siliconed shut since before we moved in, so I've never been too worried about opening it.

CT

What are you sending through the speakers to the measurement mic, in order to test the freq. response? As far as I've learnt, the best thing to send through would be pink noise.

Also, what is the specified frequency response of your speakers? Because if they begin to drop out at around 60Hz, then that is a sign that the room's low end has improved, as you shouldn't be getting boomy low end reverberation if the speakers aren't generating much of it.

Edit: Nevermind, found your speakers by chance and looking at the spec. I can see that their response should be -3dB at 40Hz, mainly because they're ported... disregard the last bit of my post, I guess, but the first two lines are still relevant

I notice the speakers are no longer in production/for sale - were they good speakers? Mid-level? Prosumer-level? Entry-level? Even at entry-level I'd expect the spec. wouldn't lie that much about their freq.response, but just wanna rule it out...

Now, I notice they're also passive speakers (unless I found a passive version of yours) so is there any chance you have a HPF on your power amp, the speakers themselves, or whatever software/hardware you're sending the test signal from?

Finally, have you got an SPL meter spare, so you can check the averaged out RMS level of the volume you're testing at (just place it below the test mic so you don't interfere with its pickup field, or test the volume before the freq. test I suppose) ? It's possible if you aren't testing the signal at a close-to-ideal volume, you may also be reducing the flatter bandwidth the test mic hears, and the speakers may not be performing as efficiently across all bands at that volume.

Other than those suggestions I'm a little stumped too, and there is a little comb filtering in the signal it appears, but the main thing I'd worry about with the low end, is the marginal modal bump at 65-80Hz and repeated an octave up at 130-150Hz ish as the harmonic, though it could just be coincidential bumps I guess.

Hope you can figure it out mate!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Oct 24, 2011,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
What are you sending through the speakers to the measurement mic, in order to test the freq. response? As far as I've learnt, the best thing to send through would be pink noise.

It's a sweeping tone from 20hz to 20khz.

Quote by DisarmGoliath

I notice the speakers are no longer in production/for sale - were they good speakers? Mid-level? Prosumer-level? Entry-level? Even at entry-level I'd expect the spec. wouldn't lie that much about their freq.response, but just wanna rule it out...

They're really very good monitors. There are three threads here I readily found on the Pro Sound Web forums - that place where all the big audio snobs hang out - and every mention of them is decidedly flattering. Purchase price was about $300 or so each... about $700 for the pair altogether.

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/25503/0/
http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/287147/0/
http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/26012/0/

Quote by DisarmGoliath

Now, I notice they're also passive speakers (unless I found a passive version of yours) so is there any chance you have a HPF on your power amp, the speakers themselves, or whatever software/hardware you're sending the test signal from?

Yes, they are passive. The amp that's running them has an EQ, but it's set flat. The speakers have no EQ/tone controls, nor does my interface.

.... unless I'm missing something somewhere...

Quote by DisarmGoliath

Finally, have you got an SPL meter spare, so you can check the averaged out RMS level of the volume you're testing at (just place it below the test mic so you don't interfere with its pickup field, or test the volume before the freq. test I suppose) ? It's possible if you aren't testing the signal at a close-to-ideal volume, you may also be reducing the flatter bandwidth the test mic hears, and the speakers may not be performing as efficiently across all bands at that volume.

When you run a test measurement, it tells you what sort of headroom you hit, and whether or not it is considered acceptable.

The graphs also show you the level on the vertical axis, and the tests are at similar volume levels as evidenced by the graph.

Quote by DisarmGoliath

Other than those suggestions I'm a little stumped too, and there is a little comb filtering in the signal it appears, but the main thing I'd worry about with the low end, is the marginal modal bump at 65-80Hz and repeated an octave up at 130-150Hz ish as the harmonic, though it could just be coincidential bumps I guess.

Hope you can figure it out mate!

Yes, there are a few bumps and such, as there will be in virtually any room. My room will have more than many, as my situation is trying to make the best of a "less than ideal" situation.

I'm happy with the improvements, but the "missing frequencies" are rather perplexing.

CT

Are you planning on hitting the corners with bass traps? Also wondering if you're putting anything else on the walls. I used what i thought was quite a bit of treatment and i still have some stuff to do
I have no room for bass traps.

Practically all of my corners have *something* in the way within about 6-9 inches or so that makes bass trapping pretty impossible.

The good news is that, according to those charts, I don't have any bass build-up anyways, so my broadband absorption panels seem to have done the trick there.

I'll put more stuff on the walls if I need to, and when I figure out what I might need. I don't have any plans at the moment, though. Also, the room is starting to feel pretty closed-in.

CT

Update:

I figured out the problem with the graphs above. Somehow, the default input device had gotten switched to my webcam. No wonder there is nothing above 10k!

Here's the new graph. Considerably better, but not as flat as I was hoping for.

(Invalid img)

(blue is pre-treatment; red is post-treatment)

I can attest that, despite the graph, the room sounds a lot better. I can set up a mic in there and it no longer sounds like I'm in a box.

The proof will be in the pudding, though, when I go to mix that project again.

CT

Update:

Well.... I've made a few changes.

1. Moved the absorbers beside the mix position forward about a foot. This allows me to actually get into the closet without having to take down absorbers, and made a slight improvement to the overall response curve.

2. Built another panel and placed it on the rear wall behind the mix position:
(Invalid img)

3. changed the angle of the cloud. It was only about 5 degrees before. Now it's 11 degrees.

4. Moved the speakers and mix position around - a lot. Moved them farther apart, further back, further forward, in and back, out and back, in and forward, out and forward, speakers upright, speakers on the sides, etc. Finally settled on:

Woofer domes about 45" apart. Distance from dome to ears = about 27". Basically, getting them as far as possible out of the corners of the room without sending me back to the middle of the room, and with me being close enough to the speakers to minimize as much as possible the actual "sound" of the room, trying to address that big nasty node around 100hz. (speakers standing)

5. adjusted the volume on my sub, and for the first time tweaked the EQ on my power amp - 100hz up just a hair; 1khz up about 1/3 of the way; 10khz up about 1/3 of the way.

(Invalid img)

The results:

(Invalid img)

^ green = two days ago; red = today

(Invalid img)

^ blue = before ANY treatment; red = today

Far from perfect, but a damn site better. There are still a couple of crazy dips, but not nearly as bad as they were (the worst one covers a distance of about 7db instead of 14db!!). The big drop off at the top end actually makes me happy (I think....) because it's the top end of my mix that tends to be dull. Having it drop off (yeah, even with some EQ on my power amp) will encourage me to add a little more. Perfect. (I hope I'm right about that....)

The waterfalls look encouraging too. The RT60 time looks better, as does the distribution across the bottom end from 20-260hz.

(Invalid img)

^waterfall two days ago

(Invalid img)

^waterfall today

The room sounded good for recording in (ie. recordings not sounding like they were made in a box) as soon as I put up the treatment, but the mixes were still off. I'm hoping that the next mix will be what I was hoping for.

CT

Man your starting to look a lot better on the charts from beginning to now.

You got the 1K+ evened out pretty nice compared to before.

I can't really see well but are you droping off at 23kish or is that 25k? I mean up above 25k its not a huge deal.
Very nice. Love to see the improvement over time
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Thanks!

Yeah, I was quite happy fixing that big canyon around 1K, and especially the big fissure around 100hz. Far from perfect, but a massive improvement nonetheless.

The very last section of the graph is actually 10-20k.

Now, if you take the 67db line (I know the numbers are almost impossible to see.... the red line has its first peak at about 67db) as the +/-0 line....

The whole graph in red (with a couple of very wee exception spots) is now "flat" +/- 2db between about 60hz and 15khz except:
40hz = -5db
below 40hz... well... isn't going to happen in a room that small no matter what. (*see note)
1khz = -3db
after 15k = drops off.

* My room is 9.5 ft long, which is half of 19 ft. The length of a 60hz wave is..... 19ft. In other words, my room is long enough to allow only the first *half* of a wave at that cycle. Any frequency lower than 60hz doesn't even have enough room - in my room - to generate half of a cycle.

The graph stops at 20khz, as that's all I did the sweeps for.

I don't mind it dropping off at 15khz, because even last week when I tried a mix in there, my top end of the mix was still dull, lifeless and completely lacking in presence. It now starts to drop off around 10k, but doesn't drop off significantly until after 15k, (as opposed to before where it didn't drop off until after a "nice" little presence peak at around 15k). Whereas before, with that top end presence peak, I was feeling like I couldn't push the top end any more for fear of breaking it, maybe now I'll actually feel like I *can* push it a little and address the problems I was having with the top end of my mixes.

... of course, the proof will be in the pudding....

CT