I have an ENGL Thunder head which takes 2-way switches.

I once tried it with a Marshall footswitch of the kind, and it worked perfectly, no delay switching the channels whatsoever.

I plugged in a Crate footswitch the other day and it didn't work. The manual writes, and I quote:
You can use standard two-way footswitches that connect the mono or stereo contact of the ¼" jack and its ground. An LED that serves as a status indicator can also be connected in series (power requirements approx. 10 - 20 milliamperes, depending on function). In practice though we've found that not every footswitch by every manufacturer under the sun is compatible. If you choose to use the ENGL Z-3 (basic plastic version without LED display) or ENGL Z-4 (rugged metal version with LED display) footswitches, you won't encounter any compatibility problems.

My question is, why is that? I'd suppose that the circuit is the same in every footswitch of the same kind.
most double foot switches are the same as far as i know did you try the crate one on another amp it might be bad
Quote by moosejr
most double foot switches are the same as far as i know did you try the crate one on another amp it might be bad

Yeah I did. Both the Crate and the Marshall work on a JCM 2000.
Is the Crate plugging all the way in and making all connections? Even if it's not connecting by a millimetre or so it may be the cause. I have a pair of high end headphones that I can't use in two of my hi fi's at home...
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Re-checked the Crate footswitch. Also changed the cable just in case it was the jack. Works with the Marshall, not with the Engl.

I'm considering building a double footswitch myself, that's why I ask. What could be different inside?