Page 1 of 2
So, after getting my first "copyright infringement" letter from my ISP for downloading torrents, I got scared and wound up finding out and downloading Peerblock. So now, 4 months later, I start downloading another torrent and apparently the US NAVY seems to be getting blocked which I assume means they're monitoring me. Normally I wouldn't mind it, but this morning after about 20 minutes of downloading my internet goes down and I start freaking out cause I thought my ISP actually caught me and was actually going to cut off my internet as they said they would in the first letter.

So I turned my computer off and unplugged my router and modem since I had to leave for school and when I came home I plugged everything back up and the internet seems to be working just fine.

My question is, should I be scared or is this all just a coincidental thing where my internet just decided to screw up at that time?
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Where did you learn about all this legal stuff and how come I haven't gotten in trouble for downloading music? I'm in canada, if that changes anything.
you going to die...better lock you windows....hide your husband...and your wife...
I haz gotten gud
Quote by xX.SirenSong.Xx
is it worth the risk if youre this paranoid about it?

this
My sig? Nice.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I was expecting all the "You is goin...." jokes but that aside, I know its risky and the best way to avoid it is to not download it at all, but it's something I really want and since it is or should be "blocking", it is safe right?
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
I see a lot of these on other sites I visit. Heres a few tips.

1) programs like peer block are useless crap, the IP's they block do NOT belong to the RIAA or the MPAA. The IP's belong to everyday users. Basically these programs are a placebo. in other words they only make you "feel better", when they do nothing.

2) Stop using public torrent sites like Piratebay, they are very closely monitored and you are sure to get nailed to the wall using them. Use invite only sites. You won't be completely safe, but it's much harder to get you when these corporate bullies have to be invited to a site, and who would invite them to our party?

3 The Letter you got is actually only a scare tactic, actually a quasi-legal tactic.Politicians never question because they're either brainwashed into thinking were thieves or they get contributions from these media companies.
Essentially the letter is just bullshit, and nothing more. No one in the US has ever gone to jail for downloading from a torrent site.

4) Your internet going down was coincidental. ISP's must give you a notification if they are turning off your internet.

5)inb4 You gonna die, stop stealing and nicestorybro.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by EncoreBlade
I was expecting all the "You is goin...." jokes but that aside, I know its risky and the best way to avoid it is to not download it at all, but it's something I really want and since it is or should be "blocking", it is safe right?

no downloading is never really "safe", but if youre gonna do it anyways, who cares?
Quote by EncoreBlade

No. If you can see the government trying to keep tabs on you, then they definitely are keeping tabs, and have whatever knowledge they want on your internet usage, regardless of whatever shit program you have on your computer.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by Alucard817

1) programs like peer block are useless crap, the IP's they block do NOT belong to the RIAA or the MPAA. The IP's belong to everyday users. Basically these programs are a placebo. in other words they only make you "feel better", when they do nothing.

2) Stop using public torrent sites like Piratebay, they are very closely monitored and you are sure to get nailed to the wall using them. Use invite only sites. You won't be completely safe, but it's much harder to get you when these corporate bullies have to be invited to a site, and who would invite them to our party?

3 The Letter you got is actually only a scare tactic, actually a quasi-legal tactic.Politicians never question because they're either brainwashed into thinking were thieves or they get contributions from these media companies.
Essentially the letter is just bullshit, and nothing more. No one in the US has ever gone to jail for downloading from a torrent site.

4) Your internet going down was coincidental. ISP's must give you a notification if they are turning off your internet.

Ah, thanks for that. Do you have any resources where you got this info or is this something you just remember from the past?
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by EncoreBlade
Ah, thanks for that. Do you have any resources where you got this info or is this something you just remember from the past?

Pm sent
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Alucard817

What do you mean 'brainwashed into thinking were thieves'? Torrenting copyright material is stealing...
But I think you are right about not going to jail for downloading. It could happen, and copyright companies want it to happen, but it's like the war on drugs. The authorities aim for the dealers, or drug bosses, not the individual users. In other words, they aim for the seeders/uploaders, not the downloaders
RIP Gooze

cats
Point number one, YOU ARE AN IDIOT!

Point number two, you deserve everything that's coming to you, so don't cry about it when you get caught, you know its illegal, yet you did it anyways, I don't want to hear it.

Point number three, you are extremely stupid.
I got 4 letters before and nothing happened except me nearly shitting my pants. I figured since they asked me 4 times, I should just quit. Not much need to download anymore except the occasional warez and maybe some some albums.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Point number one, YOU ARE AN IDIOT!

Point number two, you deserve everything that's coming to you, so don't cry about it when you get caught, you know its illegal, yet you did it anyways, I don't want to hear it.

Point number three, you are extremely stupid.

qft, thought he would have gotten my hint when i asked if its really worth it..
Quote by mulefish
What do you mean 'brainwashed into thinking were thieves'? Torrenting copyright material is stealing...

Under copyright law it is not stealing. Downloading isn't even considered a criminal offense unless you profit from it. Thats why those like the RIAA only sue people.
Also in order for something to be considered theft (in the US) someone must actually lose something tangible. A good example is if I stole your guitars. That's theft, but with downloading you're only making copies.
One can argue that losing money is tangible, but who's to say I would have purchased tickets to that movie, or bought that CD in the first place. The whole "theft" argument is very shaky at best.
Quote by mulefish
But I think you are right about not going to jail for downloading. It could happen, and copyright companies want it to happen, but it's like the war on drugs. The authorities aim for the dealers, or drug bosses, not the individual users. In other words, they aim for the seeders/uploaders, not the downloaders

To date I think the RIAA has won one lawsuit and it was overturned.
Hell they don't even really go for the seeders either, they want the big fish. Those who are REALLY breaking the law. Those are the people who sell pirated material.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Alucard817

If the bold is true, then why bother with the underlined?
Quote by Alucard817
Under copyright law it is not stealing. Downloading isn't even considered a criminal offense unless you profit from it. Thats why those like the RIAA only sue people.
Also in order for something to be considered theft (in the US) someone must actually lose something tangible. A good example is if I stole your guitars. That's theft, but with downloading you're only making copies.
One can argue that losing money is tangible, but who's to say I would have purchased tickets to that movie, or bought that CD in the first place. The whole "theft" argument is very shaky at best.

Interesting. I'd say the theft argument has more basis then you give it.
Some wikipedia quotes:
The copyright owner is given two sets of rights: an exclusive, positive right to copy and exploit the copyrighted work, or license others to do so, and a negative right to prevent anyone else from doing so without consent, with the possibility of legal remedies if they do.

Copyright holders frequently refer to copyright infringement as "theft". In law copyright infringement does not refer to actual theft, but an instance where a person exercises one of the exclusive rights of the copyright holder without authorization
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Jawlytomtom
Where did you learn about all this legal stuff and how come I haven't gotten in trouble for downloading music? I'm in canada, if that changes anything.

You wont be safe for long. Our government is in the process of passing a bill that allows them to monitor your internet without warrant, and a couple other things that will allow copyrights to be enforced.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Quote by mulefish
Interesting. I'd say the theft argument has more basis then you give it.

Not true for two reasons.
1) No one can prove that money was lost.
2) Downloading is only a civil case, not criminal. ALL theft is tried as a criminal case.
Quote by mulefish
Some wikipedia quotes:

Your first quote is misleading. The Copyright holder does these things in civil court (lawsuit only after a cease and desist has been issued) not criminal court.

And from your quote.
Copyright holders frequently refer to copyright infringement as "theft". In law copyright infringement does not refer to actual theft, but an instance where a person exercises one of the exclusive rights of the copyright holder without authorization

I'll go straight to the horses mouth
(a) Criminal Infringement. —

(1) In general. — Any person who willfully infringes a copyright shall be punished as provided under section 2319 of title 18, if the infringement was committed —

(A) for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain;

(B) by the reproduction or distribution, including by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copies or phonorecords of 1 or more copyrighted works, which have a total retail value of more than $1,000; or

(C) by the distribution of a work being prepared for commercial distribution, by making it available on a computer network accessible to members of the public, if such person knew or should have known that the work was intended for commercial distribution.

In other words downloading is only criminal if you sell it, plan to sell it or have more then a 1,000 dollars worth of material.

However ripping your windows disk to make a back up is perfectly legal.
(a) Making of Additional Copy or Adaptation by Owner of Copy. — Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, it is not an infringement for the owner of a copy of a computer program to make or authorize the making of another copy or adaptation of that computer program provided:

(1) that such a new copy or adaptation is created as an essential step in the utilization of the computer program in conjunction with a machine and that it is used in no other manner, or

(2) that such new copy or adaptation is for archival purposes only and that all archival copies are destroyed in the event that continued possession of the computer program should cease to be rightful.

One has to ask. Since CD's are nothing more then data then shouldn't they too be subject to back ups as well?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by xX.SirenSong.Xx
is it worth the risk if youre this paranoid about it?

this miss!
Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
Ok, cool. themoreyouknow.jpg
Interesting about the $1000 dollar thing

Quote by Alucard817
However ripping your windows disk to make a back up is perfectly legal.

One has to ask. Since CD's are nothing more then data then shouldn't they too be subject to back ups as well?

Although this [to my knowledge] only covers a personal copy for private use does it not? I always thought backing up cd's was legal but distributing them was illegal
RIP Gooze

cats
MediafireMediafireMediafireMediafireMediafireMediafireMediafireMediafireMediafireMediafireMediafireMediafireMediafireMediafireMediafireMediafireMediafireMediafireMediafireMediafireMediafireMediafireMediafireMediafireMediafireMediafire Mediafire
Quote by mulefish
Ok, cool. themoreyouknow.jpg
Interesting about the $1000 dollar thing

Although this [to my knowledge] only covers a personal copy for private use does it not? I always thought backing up cd's was legal but distributing them was illegal

Ya it only covers a single backup, however there are ways around that, loophole if you want to call it that. Make a backup of your backup. Selling or distribution of any backups are considered copyright infringement and can be considered a criminal offense if you make a profit from them.

Music CD's are not considered computer data (even though they are) CD's are referred to as sound recordings, which is a different part of the copyright law. The legality of backing up music CD's is hugely debated, and of course the RIAA fatcats will tell you it's wrong, however I'm sure there are loopholes in the law.
Quote by FatalGear41

Last edited by Alucard817 at Oct 7, 2011,
I am curious though, what is an invite-only site? How do you even get invited into the site?
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by EncoreBlade
I am curious though, what is an invite-only site? How do you even get invited into the site?

It pays to know the right people. I'm a member of What.CD, Waffles.fm and IPTorrents.com, all of which I got from asking around. It's worth it in the end. I don't use them a hell of a lot, but they're treasure troves for rarer music.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
What a spoilt little brat.

This. If you really want it, than buy it.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by EncoreBlade

An invite only site is, just that. Invite only. You must be invited by a member of said site.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by 'Leviathan'
It pays to know the right people. I'm a member of What.CD, Waffles.fm and IPTorrents.com, all of which I got from asking around. It's worth it in the end. I don't use them a hell of a lot, but they're treasure troves for rarer music.

check your pms haha
Page 1 of 2