Should i buy this RG350DX as my first guitar, going to cost me $300
If your looking for something cheaper you should get a squire there only about a hundred bucks and they are really good for beginners. I still play mine every once and awhile.
I think this would be a very good investment in the long run as well.
Do it.
Also, coupons is right, Squier Bullet Strats and stuff are actually really good.
Originally Posted by Azbats63
I'm the only white guy in a band in El Paso. My bandmates call me El Diablo Blanco. They tell me it means "trusted friend."
Depends what you're after.

Personally, I ****ing hate the Ibanez RG series, and having a guitar with a Floyd Rose trem can be a pain in the ass in the event of retuning or string breakage. But if you're a metalhead and want those divebombs, you could do much worse for that price.
It should be quite adequate for a first guitar. The only problems you might come across will have a lot to do with the bridge. Here's what I said in another thread.

Quote by Butt Rayge
They're bad for beginners because beginners shouldn't have to spend a lot of time setting up their guitars. I know when I first got a guitar with a floyd, having to tune or change a string was a hassle and sometimes it discouraged me from playing.

Once you learn how to set it up and you're okay with the extra time it takes, there's not really any reason for it to be bad for a beginner.

It wont have any effect on your learning so long as you don't lose enthusiasm during the time it takes to set it up. You shouldn't have to do it very often if you do it right, unless you change string gauge, use different tunings, etc.

As for the Squier Bullet that's been suggested, you may need a new guitar or need some pretty annoying repairs after owning one for a year. In my experience, as soon as I'd had it for a year the electronics all fell apart and lots of screws came loose. Even after only owning it for a few months it started eating strings because the bridge saddles are made of really soft metal. I had to file them all down to make a smooth surface for the strings because they would keep breaking.

I haven't heard any horror stories from anybody else concerning the Bullet Strat, though. Maybe mine was a dud.
Block the bridge and don't lock the bridge fine tuners, and you should be fine, you might have to get baritone strings to compensate for the extra length of the Floyd if you don't lock the bridge, just run the strings through the back like a hard tail. I don't know if that would work, but I would assume...otherwise, avoid it, if you like cutting the ball end off strings and feeding them into a floyd then it's not the guitar for you.
It's a decent guitar, trem isn't the greatest, but still a decent guitar.

I would recommend you get an RG321 or RG2EX1 as your first guitar though, since a trem isn't really a good thing for a beginner to have to deal with. Learn how to play first, and learn more about guitars first, and then trackle trems.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Butt Rayge
It should be quite adequate for a first guitar. The only problems you might come across will have a lot to do with the bridge. Here's what I said in another thread.

As for the Squier Bullet that's been suggested, you may need a new guitar or need some pretty annoying repairs after owning one for a year. In my experience, as soon as I'd had it for a year the electronics all fell apart and lots of screws came loose. Even after only owning it for a few months it started eating strings because the bridge saddles are made of really soft metal. I had to file them all down to make a smooth surface for the strings because they would keep breaking.

I haven't heard any horror stories from anybody else concerning the Bullet Strat, though. Maybe mine was a dud.

I changed all the electronics in my Squire because of the fear that it would wearout over time, its one of my favorite guitars it's like a frankenSquire but after having experience with guitar I found that if you take proper care of them they can last many years even if its a Squire.
Read this!!

Don't get a squier as a first guitar, especially not a bullet. If you're looking at guitar like an Ibanez RG you're wasting your time and will hate yourself buying a squier. Trust me, a LONG time ago when I bought my first guitar I didn't know what was what I just thought a squier strat looked cool but I was into hard rock. About a year later I realized single coils won't cut it, especially shitty ones like on a squier. Buy the RG, block the floyd with a piece of wood until you get better, then unleash it and upgrade the pickups when you're ready and you'll have a great guitar. Look up some videos on youtube, that RG350 can do some real damage.

this dude is playing an rg350dx:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZprJk_qlu5s
Last edited by Necronomicon at Oct 7, 2011,
Quote by Vaisey
Should i buy this RG350DX as my first guitar, going to cost me $300

Yes. Its a pretty good starting guitar. Mine was the 370 which is the same minus pickguard. Edge 3 holds far better then most ppl give it credit for, but you may want to block it until you understand how to set one up.
Wow, thanks for all the quick and insightful replies, I guess I'll still consider this guitar as I look around for the right one.
i used to have one, the sound felt empty and the guitar was just to light and flimsy feeling for my liking
Bad bridge and pickups.

Look for an Ibanez S470. They can be had used for around $300, and the ZR tremolo will be a great trem for the budget. It'll still have the crappy pickups though.

You can also watch eBay. There's a few on it right now for around that price. You can always make an offter too is they have the option, though people don't like it if you go too low.
GRG170DX

you can't go wrong... well you can... but not that badly.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Offworld92
It's a decent guitar, trem isn't the greatest, but still a decent guitar.

I would recommend you get an RG321 or RG2EX1 as your first guitar though, since a trem isn't really a good thing for a beginner to have to deal with. Learn how to play first, and learn more about guitars first, and then trackle trems.

this.
It's a poor choice for a first guitar, you'll struggle to cope with the floating bridge in terms of playing things in tune, and if you sound crap it's extremely disheartening.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i think that is a solid guitar, but as your first guitar I wouldnt recommend it. Maybe as a second when your closer to an intermediate skill level. A floyd is not the way to go for someone starting out. The tuning issues might put you off playing guitar fast. An rg321mh for 300 new is a better choice. Mahogany body, same pickups, and a fixed bridge. And best of all it stays in tune rather well. Its an excellent first guitar.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1