So I just recently bought a brand new peavey valveking 112 combo amp and to be honest I really love this amp, but then I came across a couple bugs I was kind of disappointed in so while it's still within it's return time I need to know if they're normal or not.

Well first, when the gain and volume are roughly halfway or more it makes a hum/buzz sound which isn't "that" bad but I'm very picky, when it's suppose to be quiet I want it quiet. I read up a little bit and some say some hum/buzz is normal for all tube amps and can be easily fixed with a noise gate.

Secondly, every once in a while the amp makes a pop noise and it's kind of like the sound when you're plugging your guitar in except it does this randomly while playing roughly every 15mins or so. I don't think this is normal and I might have to get it swapped out for a new one while it's still under its return policy unless you guys have any ideas.

Thanks for your help.
The popping noise definitely isn't normal. You might want to replace that.

As far as hum goes, yes, the VK will get noisier the louder it gets because you're raising the noise floor of the amp by turning the gain up. Turn the gain boost on and it gets even worse.

As a VK owner, though, the Valveking really isn't that great an amp these days, considering all the other options available in that price range. It doesn't sound nearly as good as some of the other amps you can get for $450. You might consider returning it and getting a Vypyr Tube instead, if you can.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The popping noise definitely isn't normal. You might want to replace that.

As far as hum goes, yes, the VK will get noisier the louder it gets because you're raising the noise floor of the amp by turning the gain up. Turn the gain boost on and it gets even worse.

As a VK owner, though, the Valveking really isn't that great an amp these days, considering all the other options available in that price range. It doesn't sound nearly as good as some of the other amps you can get for $450. You might consider returning it and getting a Vypyr Tube instead, if you can.

disagree that there are a bunch of better options for the price. the Vypyr tube only has a tube power amp so really isn't the same at all. as for other all tube options name more than 2 that have 50 watts and seperate EQ for each channel.

not sure what the popping is but it isn't good. sounds like you may have a bad solder point. the hum depending on how bad is normal. ther is always going to be a little noise when using a bunch of gain. what kind of guitar are you using? my strat with regular single coils gets pretty noisey at times but that is a combo of pickups and gain.
Quote by monwobobbo
disagree that there are a bunch of better options for the price. the Vypyr tube only has a tube power amp so really isn't the same at all. as for other all tube options name more than 2 that have 50 watts and seperate EQ for each channel.

not sure what the popping is but it isn't good. sounds like you may have a bad solder point. the hum depending on how bad is normal. ther is always going to be a little noise when using a bunch of gain. what kind of guitar are you using? my strat with regular single coils gets pretty noisey at times but that is a combo of pickups and gain.

I'll have to get the pop checked out but Ive heard that the hum is pretty much normal, because it's not that bad.

But right now I'm using a Gibson les paul Standard Ebony

Also I have no intent on returning this amp for a different one at all so suggesting other amps to me is probably going to go into 1 ear and out the other, I really love this amp.
Gibson Les Paul Standard Ebony
Epiphone SG G-400
Schecter C-1 Blackjack Diamond Series
Fender CD140SCE
Peavey ValveKing 112
Last edited by MadDistortion at Oct 7, 2011,
Replace ALL the tubes in it, the stock tubes are crap and will prolly blow on you in a few months. Replacing the tubes will usually correct most of the issues, except the hum, that's completely normal.

Honestly, it's not even very much hum, what do you want it to be, dead quiet?
Quote by ethan_hanus
Replace ALL the tubes in it, the stock tubes are crap and will prolly blow on you in a few months. Replacing the tubes will usually correct most of the issues, except the hum, that's completely normal.

Honestly, it's not even very much hum, what do you want it to be, dead quiet?

I know it's not much hum but yes I'm extremely picky with sound, I want it completely quiet when I'm not playing. I guess I could always get a noise gate.

It just gives me thought of gigging when I eventually get a 100watt amp+
That will eventually be an extremely loud and annoying hum
Epiphone SG G-400
Fender CD140SCE
Peavey ValveKing 112
Last edited by MadDistortion at Oct 7, 2011,
Quote by MadDistortion
I know it's not much hum but yes I'm extremely picky with sound, I want it completely quiet when I'm not playing. I guess I could always get a noise gate.

A decent noise gate will get rid of the hum, assuming it is regular hum from distortion.
Quote by MadDistortion

it's never going to be 100% quiet so just learn to deal with a tiny bit of noise. turn the guitar's volume down and that will get rid of a fair amount of noise. just part of the deal with tubes.

you don't need a 100 watt amp to gig with at all. what you have right now will be fine in most circumstances.
Quote by monwobobbo
it's never going to be 100% quiet so just learn to deal with a tiny bit of noise. turn the guitar's volume down and that will get rid of a fair amount of noise. just part of the deal with tubes.

you don't need a 100 watt amp to gig with at all. what you have right now will be fine in most circumstances.

Oh I know that I'm just saying....

With a 100 watt that has to be a very loud annoying hum
Epiphone SG G-400
Fender CD140SCE
Peavey ValveKing 112
^ It doesn't really work that way

Higher wattage does not mean more hum.

Higher wattage does not mean more volume (necessarily).

Higher wattage has more to do with having more headroom (playing clean without amp distortion)

I owned a VK112. I ended up putting some different preamp tubes in, running the dummy jack trick, and sticking an EQ pedal in the loop. But the amp really came alive when I replaced that crappy Valveking speaker.

Hit up the Valveking thread for more info on this and other things if you want to learn more about getting the most out of your amp.

I don't think your amp should make popping sounds at random while you are playing. That could possibly be a bad solder joint as mentioned or a bad preamp tube. If my VK did that I'd return it.

Some amps are dead quiet. Some amps make noise.