ive heard that temperature can cause the neck to move or what ever but my question is, does the cold weather make a guitar sound better? a few days ago when it was hot (in california) i would play my guitar and would always end up hating it because of the sound and feel, the strings were already dirty because ive had them for like 3 months and today (in california) it was extremely cold so i decided to pick up my guitar and play, the feel and sound was amazing i played for 30 minutes and then came back an hour later to play it again and it was still awesome.
Maybe you're just sweating less. The only thing cold will do is make the strings tighten/contract, tending to make the sound slighty sharp and, as you said, in excess move the neck.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
Maybe you're just sweating less. The only thing cold will do is make the strings tighten/contract, tending to make the sound slighty sharp and, as you said, in excess move the neck.

yeah because last week the strings were sounding dead now they kind of sound new
Humidity does strange things to wood. My acoustic instruments tend to sound noticeably better in winter and spring when it's dry out. I would think that electrics would not be effected tonally since they're painted all over and much less sensitive in general, but it could make the neck feel less sticky, or perhaps it just caused a lucky shift in the neck that happens to be more comfortable.

Also, what's "extremely cold" in California in early October? 45?
Quote by Roc8995
Humidity does strange things to wood. My acoustic instruments tend to sound noticeably better in winter and spring when it's dry out. I would think that electrics would not be effected tonally since they're painted all over and much less sensitive in general, but it could make the neck feel less sticky, or perhaps it just caused a lucky shift in the neck that happens to be more comfortable.

Also, what's "extremely cold" in California in early October? 45?

no dude it really was extremely cold. normally in the winter i go to school in just jeans and a t shirt but this time i was all covered up, and was still cold
Quote by sickassfoo
no dude it really was extremely cold. normally in the winter i go to school in just jeans and a t shirt but this time i was all covered up, and was still cold

In California??? I thought it didn't get too cold there.....
You should try moving a bit more north, then you'll know cold
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by sickassfoo

its not cold till your boogers freeze to your face... california doesn't know cold (and, being from edmonton, I'm not quite sure what "warm" weather is...)

cold and humidity can greatly effect your guitar. the effect varies from guitar to guitar, but it can certainly alter how a guitar resonates. however, making strings sound newer is not really possible. a lack of humidity (colder air has less capacity to hold moisture) could help strings last longer, but will not rejuvinate them
Quote by krehzeekid
its not cold till your boogers freeze to your face... california doesn't know cold (and, being from edmonton, I'm not quite sure what "warm" weather is...)

cold and humidity can greatly effect your guitar. the effect varies from guitar to guitar, but it can certainly alter how a guitar resonates. however, making strings sound newer is not really possible. a lack of humidity (colder air has less capacity to hold moisture) could help strings last longer, but will not rejuvinate them

compared to how hot its been that day seemed like if i was in alaska
the humidity affects the neck of your guitar and can make it bow. Maybe the guitar just felt better when it was cold because the neck wasn't as warped from the humidity. Do you adjust your truss rod accordingly to the humidity? When you have a better neck, you'll play better and get a better sound.

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/repair/acoustic-guitar/truss-rod.php

check out this link to learn about it