so as you probably all know i'm a massive mayer fan.

and i can usually get his solo's and songs down just by listening and improvising.

however...

some songs i just can't quite get the effects right.

this is one of them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uA_ya8DcLs

(the heart of life - live in LA)

i'm thinking i only need reverb and chorus for the rhythm guitar and a bit of OD on top of that for the lead.

it's just i can't quite get that sound.

granted i don't have a fender JM strat nor do i have a two-rock head & cab set-up

i do however have a fender 60's strat, crybaby wah, digitech screamin blues, EHX small clone, marshall the guv'nor, SHO clone boost pedal and a Vox VT50.

am i right that i need to just add some chorus and reverb for the rhythm parts or is there something i'm missing??? (inb4 someone quotes "something's missing" at me)

cheers.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Dempsey68
so as you probably all know i'm a massive mayer fan.

and i can usually get his solo's and songs down just by listening and improvising.

however...

some songs i just can't quite get the effects right.

this is one of them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uA_ya8DcLs

(the heart of life - live in LA)

i'm thinking i only need reverb and chorus for the rhythm guitar and a bit of OD on top of that for the lead.

it's just i can't quite get that sound.

granted i don't have a fender JM strat nor do i have a two-rock head & cab set-up

i do however have a fender 60's strat, crybaby wah, digitech screamin blues, EHX small clone, marshall the guv'nor, SHO clone boost pedal and a Vox VT50.

am i right that i need to just add some chorus and reverb for the rhythm parts or is there something i'm missing??? (inb4 someone quotes "something's missing" at me)

cheers.

Sounds like your spot on to my ears..but then again i have artillery ears.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
sounds like he is running a very short slapback delay on that. i wouldn't worry about not having the exact same gear as any strat and an amp with decent cleans should be able to get you the basic sound.
I'm quite the Mayer fan myself, and I can get fairly close to this sound with just a strat, some reverb, and minimal delay to thicken the sound. Keep in mind, he uses the middle pickup on his strat, oh and probably an analog delay, like a Way Huge Aqua Puss, set to the shortest delay, between soundthickener/slapback level.
ah yeh middle pickup. i was using bridge & middle

i was also just using reverb instead of a little delay too, will add that on my amp's effects settings as i don't have a delay pedal.

will give it a whirl xD

cheers guys!
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.